ATI HDMI audio output not functioning

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Have an ASRock E-350 (E350M1, I think), connected via HDMI output, to a Hannspree/Hanns-G 25" LCD that I got at Staples.

When I first boot the computer, I get audio. But then if I have the monitor power-down after 10 minutes, then after I wake it back up again, under Playback Devices, the ATI HDMI Audio output shows "disconnected". Which is physically impossible, since the display itself is connected via HDMI.

I installed the 12.1 HDMI audio driver, and am running the 12.4 Cat video drivers and everything else.

Any ideas?

Even if I power-down the monitor using the power button, and then power it up again, I still don't get working HDMI audio. Only powering-down the PC and rebooting seems to work.

Edit: Wow, ATI DRIVERS SUCK. I went to ati.amd.com, clicked on driver downloads, selected Desktop Graphics, E-series APU, and E-350, and Win7 64-bit, and was promptly taken to their 12.6 download page.

Only problem, 12.6 doesn't even install a video driver on this rig!

It didn't prompt to reboot, and gave me an error about ATI Vision control center not matching my video driver. I was like, "WTF?", since they should have been installed together. I rebooted manually, and got "Generic PNP monitor" and 800x600 res. No ATI driver loaded.

I did an express uninstall all ATI drivers before installing the 12.6s, so nothing would be confused.

Last edited:

Bill Brasky

Diamond Member
May 18, 2006
HDMI audio is broken for me with cat 12.4. I had the exact same symptoms you described; mainly no audio after waking my tv from sleep. I just rolled back to 12.3 and everything was fine.