ATI HDMI audio out

Tigerwraith

Jun 1, 2009
Ok I have a HD 5770 and Im loving it. But I tried testing it on my 42" Vizio LCD and I couldnt get the option of 5.1 in my speaker settings only stereo. The current setup is pc to tv hdmi, tv to audio digital optical. When I check the settings it says max 2 channels. Is this meaning that the tv is only allowing passthrough of 2 channels? To get the DTS and MA passthrough functions to work from Blu-ray do you have to connect it to a AV receiver first?

I do have my comcast box to tv via hdmi and i get 5.1 passthrough with it, just wondering why my pc wont do this.

I am planing on getting a 7.1 receiver once I do some more researching. I was just trying to test out the audio passthrough of the 5xxx series as I will be putting togeather a HTPC and using either a 5670 or 5750 as my video card.

Termie

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
www.techbuyersguru.com
If you want 7.1-channel, I think you'll have to go through a receiver. Don't know why it works with the cable-box, but the video card would likely set its audio automatically to the only HDMI device in the chain, which is the 2-channel TV. It won't detect the next device linked by digital optical, because that's outside of the HDMI framework.

Informant X

Jan 18, 2000
Why not do what I do. I have a HTPC, HDMI out to the TV, and Optical out from the computer straight to my audio reciever.

Tigerwraith

Jun 1, 2009
Well I want to do just 1 connection to get the audio. I know the 5.1 will passthrough on my TV as my cable box is doing it. I wonder if theres a way to set the ATI HDMI to passthrough instead of it decoding. But if the TV only allows 2 channels to go through........ The one thing i didnt try is trying the gfx card on the input that my cable box was on. Just seeing if anyone else thats trying to do this is having the same issues.

Number1

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
I have 2 ATI cards in my system. One hooked up to my receiver via HDMI with 7.1 support and one hooked up to my monitor via HDMI. There are only 2 speakers in my monitor so I only get 2 speaker option in the driver setting(under configure speakers).

How many speakers are in your TV?

Last edited:

Tigerwraith

Jun 1, 2009
Only two, but still if it can output 5.1 the 5770 should be able to send it, could just be the current drivers only allow you to have 5.1 passthrough on the first device in the loop.

Number1

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
Only two, but still if it can output 5.1 the 5770 should be able to send it, could just be the current drivers only allow you to have 5.1 passthrough on the first device in the loop.

The driver wont send it if it doesn't see support on the receiving hardware.

You have pass-trough on the TV?

Rhoxed

Golden Member
Jun 23, 2007
your either going to have to use on-board audio to receiver, HDMI to receiver to tv, or run 2 HDMI cords, one to tv one to receiver.

i have a 4850 trifire, hooked up to a 46" panasonic g10, 32" philips LCD, and a 7.1 reciver + speakers.
I like to watch movies off the 46" while i game on the 32", so i have to set 2 audio out devices. I use onboard for the reciver, HDMI from 4850 on the 32" for sound. I have tried hooking HDMI to the tv and using passthrough to the receiver with no luck also, and im sorta short on HDMI cords ATM so i cant hook HDMI to receiver then to tv.

Tigerwraith

Jun 1, 2009
Ok thanks everyone, seems that either the driver is limiting this or its just the way it is. Thanks agian.

Elvis2

Platinum Member
Jan 28, 2001
On my trifire rig, I have hdmi hooked up to my lcd but get 5.1 thru my rig but nothing out of my 5.1 home theater. I'm thinking about just running an analog cable out of my X-Fi to an input in my home theater getting sound that way. It sez that hdmi1 is dedicated to a computer in the tv's manual. Weird.
I have my stand alone Blu-Ray player hooked up to hdmi2 and get 5.1 out of my home theater like it should.

Btw, what drivers are you using?

Last edited:

Luckan

Apr 19, 2010
hi all

I am new to this site - apologies if I am in the wrong place!

I intend on building an HTPC. I dont know which is going to be better - on board graphics or a pci exp 16x card with DVI and HDMI out...

I have a P4 3.0ghz HT with D915GUX board - probable will change this later - if I get the graphics card then I will be able to use later on...looking at something with 512mb ram, 128 bit, HDMA, DVI. etc...

Sorry once again...please can you assist?