ATI GPU in a Nvidia Mobo?

Avenger902

May 13, 2008
Ok so I keep looking at upgrading the Video Card on my PC, since Project Origin will be here soon, and some other good PC games will come out...

But I feel I need to ask this question, and sorry if this is dupe but I couldn't find a thread with this question...

Is there any issue with running an ATI GPU on a Nvidia 570-SLI (AM2) board or a 650i board? Obviously I can't do crossfire, but are there any performance deficits or strangeness?

I am particularly interesting in possibly getting a 4850/4870 in the future...

Thanks in Advnace!

Foxery

Golden Member
Jan 24, 2008
It'll work just fine - the chipset isn't related to video capabilities, other than SLI. I believe CrossFire no longer requires motherboard support, so you may actually be able to do that.

Avenger902

May 13, 2008
I only asked because backed in the day, I had a Radeon 9800 nonpro running on an nforce3 board... I didn't see many issues on XP at the time, but when I did Linux, it was hard to get some of the 3D functionality working consistently, (I had to do a hard reboot if was just in windows and wanted to go to linux) But luckily, I don't run linux much anymore, (on my main gamer box)...

codyz2035

May 19, 2008
there should be no problem doing this. you will be able to use the graphics card on any chipset on any mobo with a pci-e x16 slot. in fact u should be able to run crossfire on it as well. ati crossfire isn't like nvidia sli where you have to have an nforce chipset mobo to have sli. crossfire should work on any major chipset considering you have two of the same graphics card that support crossfire and two pci-e x16 slots.

nitromullet

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2004
Originally posted by: Avenger902
I only asked because backed in the day, I had a Radeon 9800 nonpro running on an nforce3 board... I didn't see many issues on XP at the time, but when I did Linux, it was hard to get some of the 3D functionality working consistently, (I had to do a hard reboot if was just in windows and wanted to go to linux) But luckily, I don't run linux much anymore, (on my main gamer box)...

I had the same issue with trying to run a 9700 Pro on an nForce2 motherboard. This was completely NVIDIA's fault. Instead of including the AGPgard kernel module with the nForce drivers, they bundled it as part of the GeForce drivers. They were completely wrong for doing this because the AGPgart module is what allowed your AGP slot to run at 2x, 4x, or 8x... IIRC, it was possible to run an ATI card on the nForce board, but an AGP 8x card in an AGP 8x slot only ran at AGP 1x (PCI) speed.

...there are no such issues with running an ATI card on an nForce based motherboard in Windows (and maybe not with Linux anymore).

Originally posted by: codyz2035
there should be no problem doing this. you will be able to use the graphics card on any chipset on any mobo with a pci-e x16 slot. in fact u should be able to run crossfire on it as well. ati crossfire isn't like nvidia sli where you have to have an nforce chipset mobo to have sli. crossfire should work on any major chipset considering you have two of the same graphics card that support crossfire and two pci-e x16 slots.

Actually, I don't think this is correct. HP was able to get their Blackbird PC to run Crossfire on an SLI motherboard, but it required some assistance from their hardware partners (apparently, probably Asus).

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2...crossfire_on_nforce_/1

http://www.custompc.co.uk/news...-the-hp-interview.html

Sorry, did you just say you were running CrossFire on an nForce SLI chipset?

Rahul: That?s correct.

How do you do that?

Rahul: With a little bit of Voodoo magic! *laughs* It?s all a part of the whole Voodoo DNA thing, and working with our partners to make it happen.

...that's a connection that the rest of us don't have.

z1ggy

Lifer
May 17, 2008
Its fine..I know DFI boards have intel and amd chipsets and they can both run CF or SLI no matter what chipset you are using. I dont think using CF or sli is worth the gains unless you running really intense graphic games on a large monitor..or you are rich :0 haha

airhendrix13

Oct 15, 2006
Anyone have confirmation that Crossfire will run on a 680i mobo (nvidia chipset)?

Also, lets say I decided to run 2 4870's in Crossfire, would the old dual PCI-E 1.1 x16 slots provide enough throughput and not limit the cards?