ATI Crossfire, not working.

TridenT

Lifer
Sep 4, 2006
Did a fresh format, all this shiz... Nothing. I have an Asus Rampage Formula X48 mobo, 8.9 Catalyst(8.6 beta or maybe 8.7 beta is the only one that actually works with Crossfire fully enabled) and two Radeon 4850s 512mb. The second one comes up with an Alert icon on it in the System Device Manager and the first one doesn't.... It usually ends up having an error like, "Could not load CCC" when the system boots up. Remove the second card, and uninstall then install CCC and the single card works... Pop in the second, doesn't work. I've swapped cards and that didn't make a difference. Anyway, what the hell?

footballrunner800

Jan 28, 2008
try running driver cleaner pro in safe mode after uninstalling drivers/ccc. This happened to me after updating catalyst to 8.9 and driver cleaner fixed it.

TridenT

Lifer
Sep 4, 2006
Originally posted by: footballrunner800
try running driver cleaner pro in safe mode after uninstalling drivers/ccc. This happened to me after updating catalyst to 8.9 and driver cleaner fixed it.

I've done a fresh format my man, it just does it no mattar what. I even did the driver cleaner after that and all this crap, didn't work.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
is Cat AI enabled in CCC?
-CF won't work properly if it is disabled, i believe

Also, have you tried installing Cat 8.9 [by itself, not CCC]?, reboot and then install it over again without rebooting and THEN REinstall it again?
- 'till you get the message you are up to date and the ! is gone in device manager

also, check to see as you are installing cat 8.9 you do not get a brief message from windows that one device is disabled

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I can't find it anywhere, but I remember reading something in the past that mentioned power, or lack of could cause something similar. If one/both the cards are not getting enough power Crossfire would not enable. What power supply do you have? I read something along those lines, but I don't remember exactly what it was, but it may be looking into.

TridenT

Lifer
Sep 4, 2006
Originally posted by: SlowSpyder
I can't find it anywhere, but I remember reading something in the past that mentioned power, or lack of could cause something similar. If one/both the cards are not getting enough power Crossfire would not enable. What power supply do you have? I read something along those lines, but I don't remember exactly what it was, but it may be looking into.

It isn't that, crossfire works under 8.7 beta drivers. I have a Corsair 750W psu anyway... >_<

TridenT

Lifer
Sep 4, 2006
Originally posted by: chrismr
Have you flashed the bios on the cards?

no

Here is what my second card says when I install 8.10
Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: PnPDeviceProblemCode
Architecture: x64
Hardware Id: PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_9442&SUBSYS_05021002&REV_00
Setup class GUID: {4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
PnP problem code: 0000002B
Driver name: atikmdag.sys
Driver version: 7.1.1.830
Driver date: 09-24-2008
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

Error code 43, windows stopped device... >_<

Sylvanas

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2004
Download the display driver and CCC separately from AMD's site. Do a full clean with Driversweeper then reboot and install the display driver only, reboot then install the CCC package.

Modular

Diamond Member
Jul 1, 2005
Have you installed the most recent MOBO drivers? I know that this is something that is often overlooked after a fresh install of Windows.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Here i will try again...use cat 8-10 now

Originally posted by: apoppin
is Cat AI enabled in CCC?
-CF won't work properly if it is disabled, i believe

Also, have you tried installing Cat 8.9 [by itself, not CCC]?, reboot and then install it over again without rebooting and THEN REinstall it again?
- 'till you get the message you are up to date and the ! is gone in device manager

also, check to see as you are installing cat 8.9 you do not get a brief message from windows that one device is disabled

TridenT

Lifer
Sep 4, 2006
I get an error during the driver install....

"Driver install: the inf file was not found" and then lots of problems occur. oh and it stops installing.

TridenT

Lifer
Sep 4, 2006
Installed drivers without errors this time but it still doesn't work. Now both cards have alert symbols and say code 43.

TridenT

Lifer
Sep 4, 2006
Originally posted by: jaredpace
install one card with 8.9 WHQL and get back to us

One card alone works.. with any driver. Just getting both to work with any driver but 8.7 is misery. I want to get the latest drivers because they fix some stuff but they only make things worse, so far.

TridenT

Lifer
Sep 4, 2006
Now when I install any ATI driver it says, "Driver install: blah blah blah" inf file not found and fails.

Suggestions? I did driver cleaner, safe mode... the whole thing. Uninstalled, restarted a billion times... etc. Nothing.

Sylvanas

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2004
You need to manually point it in the direction of the INF File. Open up device manager, locate the GPUs and it should say something like 'Multimedia Video device' or something, go 'install driver from location' then navigate to the C:/ATI folder and it'll be there, I think in the Bin folder. Click that and windows will install it, reboot and your done.

TridenT

Lifer
Sep 4, 2006
Originally posted by: Sylvanas
You need to manually point it in the direction of the INF File. Open up device manager, locate the GPUs and it should say something like 'Multimedia Video device' or something, go 'install driver from location' then navigate to the C:/ATI folder and it'll be there, I think in the Bin folder. Click that and windows will install it, reboot and your done.

Doesn't work.

I formatted and now have 8.10 installled... worked for like a tiny bit when I had 8.10 hotfix installed but it BSOD'd everytime I booted up OR if I was lucky enough to get past that... then it would be during browsing the web or installing software.

Uninstalled 8.10 hotfix. Installed normal 8.10, now back at square 1 where nothing works.

Using Vista 32-bit instead of 64-bit now to see if that helps.

Tempered81

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2007
Originally posted by: TridenTBoy3555

Oh. heheh - i bet this makes a big difference. You might even try it on XP Pro 32bit

TridenT

Lifer
Sep 4, 2006

Oh. heheh - i bet this makes a big difference. You might even try it on XP Pro 32bit

It didn't.

twjr

Jul 5, 2006

It didn't.

You had any more luck with this problem. I seem to have run into a similar problem after taking one of my cards out and now can't seem to get any drivers to work with CF again.