ATI Catalyst 8.2 are Out

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ylurien

Jul 26, 2007
Thanks for the link, OP.

Does anyone have a link to any benchmark testing with the new drivers?

ronnn

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
Originally posted by: Schadenfroh
Does this correct the AGP issues that previously required the hotfix (I believe that glitch has existed since the late 7.x line)?

I understand not, but since my agp mb has fried, can't test it out.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Sylvanas
Originally posted by: Spamdini
i have a question about installation. i have the 8.1s installed, and i want to install the 8.2s (HD3870). do i have to uninstall the 8.1s or can i just install then 8.2 and itll do what it needs to do?

Go to C:/ATI/catalyst folder/setup.exe run that....click 'uninstall' when thats done- restart.
When you come back into windows run Driversweeper (note in vista you must run it in admin mode) restart again.
On returning to windows for the last time, run the 8.2 package and you're set.

it's a heck of a lot easier to use CCC's Cat install manager [in Control Panel] ... use "express uninstall", reboot and install 8.2s

rseiler

Apr 17, 2000
But you don't *have* to uninstall the previous version, since the installer is designed to upgrade properly. At least it's always worked for me.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: rseiler
But you don't *have* to uninstall the previous version, since the installer is designed to upgrade properly. At least it's always worked for me.

you don't have to ... but AMD *recommends* it :p

ATi Catalyst Install Manager is designed to completely uninstall ATi SW and then uninstall itself .. reboot and install the new Cats.

rose.gif

rseiler

Apr 17, 2000
apoppin, for whatever reason, I never see that, though it's been a while since I've installed CCC as well (I use "driver only" these days), so perhaps that's why, but it's still the Catalyst Install Manager running the show. I just did it for 8.2 on Vista: the installer mentioned nothing at all about uninstalling, and didn't even seem to do it on its own. It just laid down the drivers and they took effect without even a reboot.

I was mainly talking about the general advice of manually uninstalling, running Drivesweeper (or whatever else), etc. I really don't think that's called for unless you're trying to recover from a problem.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: rseiler
apoppin, for whatever reason, I never see that, though it's been a while since I've installed CCC as well (I use "driver only" these days), so perhaps that's why, but it's still the Catalyst Install Manager running the show. I just did it for 8.2 on Vista: the installer mentioned nothing at all about uninstalling, and didn't even seem to do it on its own. It just laid down the drivers and they took effect without even a reboot.

I was mainly talking about the general advice of manually uninstalling, running Drivesweeper (or whatever else), etc. I really don't think that's called for unless you're trying to recover from a problem.

if you do an "express uninstall" it is almost totally automatic

and i agree that the manual uninstall with DC/DS is completely unnecessary
-unless you are going to a nvidia card.

rseiler

Apr 17, 2000
So unless you choose the uninstall option in the installer (I must have missed that) it will just do an upgrade and not bother with an uninstall?

imported_Scoop

Dec 10, 2007
Hey guys, this is little out of topic here, but I have a question. I just got my HD 3850 and this being the first ATI/AMD card I've ever had, I'm not sure how to go around setting it up. I'm going to use it on a completely fresh build without any existing drivers. So should I first load everything off the driver CD or should I just download the latest/greatest Catalyst drivers? If so, does the Catalyst Control Center come with the drivers or do I download it independently or load from the CD?

ronnn

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
Just download the latest and greatest. Windows will likely install drivers for you that should be uninstalled before install.

Sylvanas

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2004
Originally posted by: Scoop
Hey guys, this is little out of topic here, but I have a question. I just got my HD 3850 and this being the first ATI/AMD card I've ever had, I'm not sure how to go around setting it up. I'm going to use it on a completely fresh build without any existing drivers. So should I first load everything off the driver CD or should I just download the latest/greatest Catalyst drivers? If so, does the Catalyst Control Center come with the drivers or do I download it independently or load from the CD?

Download these 8.2's and provided your windows installation has the correct .NET framework version you should have no problems (Vista comes standard with the required .NET framework, XP you have to download the latest).

evolucion8

Platinum Member
Jun 17, 2005
Originally posted by: Schadenfroh
Does this correct the AGP issues that previously required the hotfix (I believe that glitch has existed since the late 7.x line)?

Is quite strange, I also had issues with 7.8 and 7.9, but since 7.10 and above, I didn't have any issues at all, and I'm currently running the 8.2 version and everything works just fine, seems that probably affect some AGP configurations, but not all. I ran 3DMark0X, Crysis, etc and everything is working great, you should give it a try.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Installed the 8.2 after removing the 8.1 AGP HotFix Driver.

Passed all DirectX Tests, but Neverwinter Nights 2 seems slower. I do not know how to benchmark that game to confirm, but the FPS seem to have dropped. But, it does work.