ATI card underscan on my TV (HDMI)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

djnsmith7

Platinum Member
Apr 13, 2004
For clarification, is the HDMI / Text issue that myself & others are having an issue with the display not matching the resolution the card is sending through HDMI, a direct driver (CCC) related issue, an onboard HDMI issue, a CCC Overscan / Underscan issue, all of the above or what? Does anyone know exactly what the problem is & what needs to be fixed?

I'd like to send ATI/AMD an email requesting this be corrected in the next driver release, but they need specifics.

htpcfan

Dec 25, 2009
Thanks RaiderJ, but for Win XP in CCC 9.xx there is no little black triangle. It seems this option is only available in the Vista interface.

You can do it in the new version (9), but you have to RIGHT-CLICK on the little black triangle. Did a google search and found out how to do it.

RaiderJ

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2001
Thanks RaiderJ, but for Win XP in CCC 9.xx there is no little black triangle. It seems this option is only available in the Vista interface.

Could be, I was able to find it in Windows 7, but haven't tested it in XP

danmccloy

Jan 7, 2010
I have the same problem as djnsmith7. I can change the CCC underscan/overscan setting to eliminate the black text around the desktop, and I suppose that the text quality improves slightly, but it is still rather blurry, compared to the VGA.

BTW, if I set my overscan setting to zero, the desktop will in fact be larger than the monitor, and thus be cropped. At no setting is the text sharp.

My video card is an ATI Radeon Mobility HD 4570. My monitor is a Samsung XL2370. The same video card works fine over HDMI on some cheaper monitors, and the same monitor works fine over HDMI with some cheaper video cards, but when used together over HDMI, the text quality is unbearably awful.

For the record, the system is a Dell Studio 15 running Win 7 HP (x64) and with all the latest drivers.

Dell says they've never heard of such a problem before.

Last edited:

PepperBreath

Sep 5, 2001
Sounds like the video card is displaying at a resolution which isn't the true native resolution. I have a 1080P LCD screen and text looks crystal clear with the video card set at 1920x1080p.

Set the overscan to 0% and leave it. Then check the TV to see what display options their are. Text was blurry on mine until I set it to "Native Full" which means it's displaying the full 1920x1080 pixels.

It's also possible that the TV has an odd native resolution but reports a normal HD resolution. Do a search on Google to see what your TV is capable of and if it does have an odd native, then change to that resolution for clear text.

Honestly, if VGA is clear and HDMI is not, it really does sound like the TV has an odd native resolution which is why it would appear clear in VGA.

danmccloy

Jan 7, 2010
Thanks, PepperBreath! Your first suggestion was exactly the direction in which I needed to go!

The monitor had just 3 settings: 4:3, 16:9 (which should have been correct on this 1920x1080 screen) and "screen fit" (which certainly doesn't sound like a recipe for native resolution). None of these in itself had solved the problem.

Nor had it worked to set the overscan setting to zero.

The key was, as you indicated, the combination: It finally worked (hooray!) once I set the CCC overscan setting to zero AND set the monitor's OSD image setting to "screen fit". Whew! I've spent dozens of hours going around and around on this issue, reformatting the system, working with Dell and BestBuy tech support, and never got it to work, but you hit the nail on the head! You've sure made my day!

Thank you so much!

Dan

Indigopeacock

Mar 30, 2005
I have a Samsung 32 inch LCD TV. The text looked absolutely horrible until I turned off a lot of image processing options. It still wasn't perfect and was barely tolerable.... Finally, a few days ago, I found the solution - under input options I had to manually select PC. So now when I press "source" the third input (HDMI-DVI) literally states PC. Before the adjustment, it was simply blank. Everything looks pristine now. I knew it was likely a TV problem and not a video card problem because I have a PC with Nvidia and another with ATI card and they produced the same ugly text on the same TV. I know you guys are having problems with a plasma screen but apparently the VGA input works properly. I would imagine the solution should be similiar. See if there is any way you could select PC input within the TV's own setup functions so the TV will allow the signal from the computer to bypass the image processing. Thanks for reading.

plasmabrain

Jan 19, 2010
I solved issue by uninstalling 9.xx ATI driver and installing the old version (8.xx). Now CCC allows me to change TV properties including Scaling.

aticccworksgreat.png

Don't know why 9.xx does not work for me.

FYI for those on the same XT style setup, here is a ATI link to this sequence of config pages:
http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/737-18883HowtoConfigureUserDefinedHDTVModesUsingATICATALYSTControlCenter.aspx

I have the same issue running CCC 9.12 with the included drivers. My HD 4550 is connected via straight HDMI to a Panasonic TCP50V10, but no DTV(HDMI) menu option is displayed. As soon as I connect a Samsung TV with the same cable that device shows up correctly, so the issue is only with connecting the Panny. I have a trouble ticket logged with ATI/AMD since Jan 15th, but no response on that yet.

Meanwhile I'm just setting the basic resolution/refresh and that is working fine along with the HDMI audio. Both text and video display nice in 1368x768/60, or 1920x1080/60.

Maybe I will try using older drivers suggested. Included in the full 9.12 CCC pack it seems the video driver reported is 8.68.1

To "anatolik", did you revert only the video drivers to 8.12, or did you also revert CCC and HDMI Audio driver, or running a mix of these versions?

Last edited:

plasmabrain

Jan 19, 2010
Last night I finally gave up on 9.12 and uninstalled that. Then I installed the complete, older version from the CD supplied with the card (CCC 9.9, driver 8.65) . Guess what - it works with the Panasonic. No problems.

I finally got a response from AMD support, but that included only the standard steps discussing setup using the TV icon... which I had told them was not shown for the Panasonic. We'll see if that ticket gets progressed any further than their default response scripts.

At this point, I'm still not sure if it is 9.12's CCC or the 8.68 driver included in that bundle that is the problem. For now I'm sticking with the slightly older CD version, until someone provides feedback of a fix.

Last edited: