ATI BUY BITBOYS!!!!!!!!!!

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
I linked to Bitboys G40 awhile back, it looked very promising. This should be another excellent acquistion for ATI.

A5

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2000
The release says they're just going to be integrated into the handheld graphics division. Nothing to see here...

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Originally posted by: A5
The release says they're just going to be integrated into the handheld graphics division. Nothing to see here...
As it is a rapidly growing sector for graphics, I think you are missing the forest for all the trees in your way.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Originally posted by: jiffylube1024
Sounds like a good deal for ATI.
Again, I believe this is a crucial acquisition for them. Nv has a solution already and the bitboys tech should greatly help them to counter it sooner, rather than much later.

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
Originally posted by: DAPUNISHER
Again, I believe this is a crucial acquisition for them. Nv has a solution already and the bitboys tech should greatly help them to counter it sooner, rather than much later.

Sorry but Bits Boys no matter how good their stuff was on the drawing board I always thought of them as the Con man who steals investors money and runs. I hear they have actual technology out in the PDA and Cellular products, so thats a plus. Hope it works out with them.

As for whomever talked bout buying IP. Buying IP is what Nvidia did to 3dFX where none of the rest of the company was involved. ART-X was purchased as company and is now a department of ATI and is directly resposible for the design and development of the 9700, 9800 and X800 series graphics cards.

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003
Originally posted by: Topweasel

Sorry but Bits Boys no matter how good their stuff was on the drawing board I always thought of them as the Con man who steals investors money and runs. I hear they have actual technology out in the PDA and Cellular products, so thats a plus. Hope it works out with them.

As for whomever talked bout buying IP. Buying IP is what Nvidia did to 3dFX where none of the rest of the company was involved. ART-X was purchased as company and is now a department of ATI and is directly resposible for the design and development of the 9700, 9800 and X800 series graphics cards.

I stand corrected. They will be integrating Bitboys into their handheld business unit. Perhaps they will integrate some IP into their desktop unit as well though ;).

A5

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2000
As it is a rapidly growing sector for graphics, I think you are missing the forest for all the trees in your way.

When I can afford (or want) a cell phone that can play 3D games, I'll let you know.

imported_Crusader

Feb 12, 2006

When I can afford (or want) a cell phone that can play 3D games, I'll let you know.

Dont have a Razr?
Thats too bad.

Cuz I do, and they have Goforce 4800s in them. ;)
I got mine for free.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Originally posted by: Topweasel

Yes, they are infamous for vaporware, however, ATI didn't just acquire them on a whim. Nor did Nokia purchase 14% of the company on one. Successfully duping both these companies? Highly improbable.
ATI Technologies Inc. (TSX:ATY, NASDAQ:ATYT) has acquired privately held Bitboys Oy, a 15-year veteran of the graphics industry for up to ?35.2 million (about US$44 million). The final value is subject to certain performance-related conditions.
ATI is wisely setting conditions that create incentive. The real questions is, how much less they have to pony up, if bitboys doesn't meet the performance goals?

Fox5

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
Originally posted by: Golgatha

Last time they went and bought some IP we got the Radeon 9700 series. Hopefully something really cool will come from this. Bitboys just produced really neat vaporware most of the time anyway.

Last they bought some IP, the company had actually produced a product prior to being bought out.

Actually, I think ATI has had other buyouts since ArtX.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Don't, I have zero interest in either your proclivities or finances. Nor is your egocentrism a basis for market or demand.

Killrose

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 1999
I read a year or so ago about Bitboys PDA graphics acheivemnts, but who knows, maybe Bitboys holds a crucial pattent that ATi could use for actual 3D gamming as well. As we have seen recently with Rambus, sometimes all it takes is owning intellectual properties on paper.

Wreckage

Banned
Jul 1, 2005
I thought Bitboys was right up there with the Phantom console and Duke Nukem forever as far as product releases?

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Wreckage
I thought Bitboys was right up there with the Phantom console and Duke Nukem forever as far as product releases?

On the PC they are, but they've been licensing technology out to others for many years. They are/were always an actual company producing actual technology, but were never able to produce a Video Card despite announcing specs for a video card(many times). I think they just were not big enough to compete in the Desktop video market, they had the smarts, but before they could finish a product that would stand out, others had already released such a product.

T2k

Golden Member
Feb 24, 2004

And what is that solution for? I barely follow the HH graphics market but IIRC ATI was well ahead of NV with its mobile video chipset...

Jun 14, 2003

im all for cool low power mobile graphics that have uber performance....the sooner that happens the sooner i will buy a laptop to replace this beast

MysticLlama

Golden Member
Sep 19, 2000
I was going to post this earlier too, but didn't get around to it.

I guess I can't complain, ATI stock closed up 5.83% today, not a bad showing at all. Making up for the last couple of weeks of crummy performance.

This also gives me hope that maybe id will buy DNF and get it out. ;)

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Originally posted by: T2k

And what is that solution for? I barely follow the HH graphics market but IIRC ATI was well ahead of NV with its mobile video chipset...
GoForce 5500Ups the ante, and may be more than ATI can counter by the holiday season. I haven't read any news on a new Imageon though, so maybe they have a hole card? They have already sold over 100 million Imageons so they are firmly entrenched.

The press release states
this acquisition enhances ATI's product portfolio with a number of technologies, including OpenGL ES 2.0 3D graphics and OpenVG 1.0 2D vector graphics technologies optimized for high-volume mainstream mobile phones. These graphics cores will be supported by ATI's common software stack which covers its complete range of multimedia co-processors. This unified software environment allows developers to easily create content for a range of devices and offers mobile phone manufacturers faster time to market.
They particularly seem stoked about the vector graphics tech
Vector graphics is a vital component of a multimedia product lineup as it will become the standard for creating user interfaces on mobile devices. It's a very compact format that allows more graphics to be stored on a phone and for content to be distributed much more efficiently over mobile networks. In addition, vector graphics content automatically scales to any screen resolution so developers can deliver content across a range of devices without reworking all of the art assets.
Faster time to market=sportin' a chubby for manus :p

Fox5

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
Originally posted by: sandorski
Originally posted by: Wreckage

On the PC they are, but they've been licensing technology out to others for many years. They are/were always an actual company producing actual technology, but were never able to produce a Video Card despite announcing specs for a video card(many times). I think they just were not big enough to compete in the Desktop video market, they had the smarts, but before they could finish a product that would stand out, others had already released such a product.

IIRC, it's because they always had an inane focus on integrating a rather large amount of edram onto their chips, which made it nearly impossible to produce with good yields.