ATI 8500LE NTSC only, how to enable PAL?

cento

Oct 3, 2001
Just some info first: ATI cards sold in the US only supports NTSC TV out,
But received this mail from a european ATI OEM manufacturer when asking why they have so many
different models of the 8500/8500LE with regards to the TV-out:

only following models have a jumper to choose PAL and/or NTSC mode while the TV mode is fixed in other models.
<models,,models>
NOTE: the TV mode(PAL/NTSC) stated in our web is the default mode of the card.

On a visit to the US i bought an ATI 8500LE, knowing that it was NTSC only, and I'm really happy with it.
But even if my TV is capable of displaying NTSC it would be interesting if some of you could share some
info on how this lock functions, a simple jumper thing would be a piece of cake :)
I'll suppose that ATI support also could be asked but don't think they will tell :-(
/CeNTO

sechs

Golden Member
Oct 6, 2002
Some have reported being able to change their cards to PAL via a BIOS flash. I'd suggest snooping around the forums at Rage3D to see if anyone there has done it.

rbV5

Lifer
Dec 10, 2000
Just some info first: ATI cards sold in the US only supports NTSC TV out
Not true, check the format tab on the "TV properties" under the "Displays" Tab of the advanced Display properties. Simply pick the format you wish to display on your TV and you're set.

cento

Oct 3, 2001
Not true, check the format tab on the "TV properties" under the "Displays" Tab of the advanced Display properties. Simply pick the format you wish to display on your TV and you're set.

Not working,
Display, advanced, displays, TV(Says 1024x768 NTSC M), press the TV button, you get attributes, adjustments and advance,
do not have a format tab anywhere.
Conclusion: this card knows that it is a NTSC TV out only card.

ATI NTSC only link: http://www.ati.com/support/infobase/3771.html
Anyway, I could always buy a Hercules 8500LE, only 100 EURO ;-)
it would have PAL output.
/CeNTO

rbV5

Lifer
Dec 10, 2000
What drivers/OS are you using? That infobase article doesn't apply to your card. Radeon cards output NTSC or PAL via TV-out, and the Radeon 8500le user guide even illustrates hooking up the TV-out using a SCART connector on a European TV set.

I'm using XP and the 6166 drivers, and my NTSC card supports PAL output.

cento

Oct 3, 2001
I also use the 6166 drivers on XP SP1 but there isn't any possibility to choose between
NTSC or PAL. The card is a built by ATI 8500LE 128 M, it says ENG NTSC 100-431023
on the box. I'm pretty sure that it's an NTCS only.

BTW I found an interesting SW called Raedit in the Rage3D forums that should be able to change
the bios to enable PAL, maybe I will try it some evening when I feel lucky :D

Has anybody tried this? Not just the change 8500LE to 8500 spec part of it?
I suppose it would be good to backup the original bios first if it goes bad :)

/CeNTO