ATI 5870 tomorrow right?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

betasub

Platinum Member
Mar 22, 2006
Originally posted by: Lothar
double lifetime warranty.

What do they mean by that? :confused:

The purchaser, and the next owner (should the purchaser sell/exchange/gift it). Usually only applies if registered with the manufacturer (XFX).

Edit: for quote.

faxon

Platinum Member
May 23, 2008
lothar, a double lifetime warranty means that if you sell the card to someone else, XFX will still honor the lifetime warranty to whoever you sell it to. this dramatically increases its resale value, especially if you are an early adopter who sells their old hardware whenever something new comes out (assuming your old hardware is still not half bad), and it also makes it easier on you since you dont have to worry about people hounding you for warranty service if the card ever dies on them

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003
Originally posted by: dguy6789
Bang for the buck really can't be measured just by the price one pays. The other aspect that needs to be considered is how long someone would use the card(This can be estimated by looking at how fast it is). If you bought a $300 card at launch and used it for 3 years when someone else buys it for $150 and uses it for half as long as you used your card, they didn't necessarily get a better deal since you both had an equal time used vs dollars spent ratio. There's also the fact that the person who buys at launch gets to experience games with higher visuals for that much longer than the person who waits for prices to drop.

There have been times in history where buying at launch has definitely paid off(Radeon 9700, Geforce 8800 GTX) and other times where prices came down really fast(GTX200, 4800).

Yes, the eternal question of cost vs benefit. I'll probably buy a single HD 5870 1GB and sell off my dual 4870 setup. My costs will be helped by lower electricity costs too...at least until I go with dual cards again ;).

akugami

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2005
Originally posted by: betasub

The purchaser, and the next owner (should the purchaser sell/exchange/gift it). Usually only applies if registered with the manufacturer (XFX).

I don't see that as being particularly useful.

Not everyone can afford, or for various reasons want, a brand new card. Having a double lifetime warranty means that if a person purchases a used card, they are fully covered by the manufacturer's warranty.

This increases the resale value because the buyer knows that he's covered if the card dies on him a few months after he purchases it. I certainly would choose a card that has double lifetime warranty vs one without if both are similarly priced and comparable in power and features.

So the original buyer gets a card that is more easily salable should he choose to do so and the second buyer gets warranty coverage on his used card so he's more likely to buy said used card.

betasub

Platinum Member
Mar 22, 2006

I assume you were referring to the extra warranty, rather than my reply. ;)

Neither do I, as my cards tend to end up in rigs within my extended family, so the initial warranty applies. But faxon's reply above describes how there is some "added value" from a double lifetime warranty.

Edit: as does akugami's reply immediately above.

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
Originally posted by: Golgatha
Originally posted by: her209
$400? I paid less than that for my computer.
That's twice what I paid for my power supply. What's your point?
You paid more for your power supply than I did for my computer!

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005

$400 is twice $200 so Golgatha paid ~$200 for his PSU...now your computer costs less than $200?

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
Originally posted by: thilan29
$400 is twice $200 so Golgatha paid ~$200 for his PSU...now your computer costs less than $200?
Yep.

imported_Lothar

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2006
Originally posted by: akugami
Originally posted by: betasub

Not everyone can afford, or for various reasons want, a brand new card. Having a double lifetime warranty means that if a person purchases a used card, they are fully covered by the manufacturer's warranty.

This increases the resale value because the buyer knows that he's covered if the card dies on him a few months after he purchases it. I certainly would choose a card that has double lifetime warranty vs one without if both are similarly priced and comparable in power and features.

So the original buyer gets a card that is more easily salable should he choose to do so and the second buyer gets warranty coverage on his used card so he's more likely to buy said used card.

Who wouldn't?
However, will I pay an extra $30-40 because a seller demands that premium for his product being an XFX card with "double" warranty? Not gonna happen.
For $5 maybe, yes but even that's debatable.

Qbah

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2005

Gonna take a guess and say you paid for the car's gas when picking up your current computer which was passed down to you from your family? ;)

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Yep.

I see...well...hope you got a decent computer for that price.

akugami

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2005

I'm gonna have to agree with Golgatha. What is your point? Isn't it almost guaranteed that when we are discussing these new video cards that they are likely to be in the 3-500 mark? Mentioning that you paid $400 for your computer does nothing for the conversation. Heck, I paid $400'ish for a computer I built a few years back for my then GF. What does that have to do with high end video cards?

akugami

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2005
I certainly would choose a card that has double lifetime warranty vs one without if both are similarly priced and comparable in power and features.

Who wouldn't?
However, will I pay an extra $30-40 because a seller demands that premium for his product being an XFX card with "double" warranty? Not gonna happen.
For $5 maybe, yes but even that's debatable.

$30-40, no. However, if it's roughly $10'ish difference then I'd have to seriously consider it. Especially if you're figuring to own it for 6 or more months. Which equates to $2 or less per month.

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003

Reading comprehension FTW!! Yes, I paid about $200 for my PSU.

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003

I'm gonna have to agree with Golgatha. What is your point? Isn't it almost guaranteed that when we are discussing these new video cards that they are likely to be in the 3-500 mark? Mentioning that you paid $400 for your computer does nothing for the conversation. Heck, I paid $400'ish for a computer I built a few years back for my then GF. What does that have to do with high end video cards?

The last fileserver I built on a contract project was round $1500 in parts...what was the subject of this thread again? Oh yeah, the PSU in that one cost around $80.

T2k

Golden Member
Feb 24, 2004
Originally posted by: dguy6789
I really want to see some in depth reviews. I hope Anandtech doesn't forget about comparing the 5850 with the 4850x2 2GB. That's the real challenge for the 5850, not the GTX 285.

I second this wholeheartedly - my 4850X2 2G is still beating everything today...

T2k

Golden Member
Feb 24, 2004

The last fileserver I built on a contract project was round $1500 in parts...what was the subject of this thread again? Oh yeah, the PSU in that one cost around $80.

Dunno but when you can order a brand, BTO real server with remote mgmt card etc for almost the same price I really don't see the point building servers anymore.

T2k

Golden Member
Feb 24, 2004
Ummm, yeah... so after all this 5870 1GB wouldn't even beat my 4850X2 2GB and would lose out to a 4870X2 2GB in modern games: http://www.tomshw.it/graphic.p...s-ati-amd-directx11-13

Looks I won't bother with hunting down one of the remaining few thousand cards after ATI gave most of the initial shipment to Dell (again)... fine.

5850X2 2GB in Christmas-January, here I come.

gizbug

Platinum Member
May 14, 2001
So looks like no one was able to find the card today in stock anywhere.....

waffleironhead

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Originally posted by: gizbug
So looks like no one was able to find the card today in stock anywhere.....

Well since its not officially for sale yet, that is not hard to believe.