Ati 5850...

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Apocalypse23

Golden Member
Jul 14, 2003
A 5850 is not the best investment, I would strongly suggest you purchase a reference 5870. I was testing my Asus 5870 last night and got a rock stable gaming overclock to 1000/1300 at just 1.299Volts. This thing is now equal to a GTX 480. The overclock is not Furmark stable, but is very stable for running games or 3dVantage. I had the card running at 40% fan speed and got a max temp of 86. Running it at 50% resulted in a max temp of 73C.

5870oc10001300mhz3dvant.png

You could possibly hit at least 950/1300 with a reference 5870.

looper

Golden Member
Oct 22, 1999
Athadeus...
Yeah, I realize it's overkill on the PS... but maybe down the road a bit I might go crossfire...rather have too much than too little.

Actually, when I chose 'looper' as my username back in 1999 I think, I was playing a lot of competitive tournament table-tennis. A 'loop' is a particular type of topspin shot in table tennis... much like the way the modern forehead is hit in tennis today. (Had to give up competitive tennis... bad shoulder rotator-cuff)

Apocalypse23... nice numbers, there... But, I don't think I'll OC the vid card.... nice avatar of Usian Bolt... he is AMAZING....

Last edited:

Apocalypse23

Golden Member
Jul 14, 2003
Athadeus...
Yeah, I realize it's overkill on the PS... but maybe down the road a bit I might go crossfire...rather have too much than too little.

Actually, when I chose 'looper' as my username back in 1999 I think, I was playing a lot of competitive tournament table-tennis. A 'loop' is a particular type of topspin shot in table tennis... much like the way the modern forehead is hit in tennis today. (Had to give up competitive tennis... bad shoulder rotator-cuff)

Apocalypse23... nice numbers, there... But, I don't think I'll OC the vid card.... nice avatar of Usian Bolt... he is AMAZING....

Thanks, yeah Usain Bolt ftw :D

looper

Golden Member
Oct 22, 1999
I'm old and but still somewhat hip, but 'ftw'... don't know that one (my son is laughing but won't say...) Not printable at Anand's?? :)

looper

Golden Member
Oct 22, 1999
"ftw"..."for the win"

Amazing...not profane...wonder why son would not tell me...maybe he's thinking of the biker version of 'ftw'...