ATI 5650 - Anyone know where to get XP drivers?

equalizeme

May 12, 2010
I bought this Acer Aspire 5740G-6979 laptop thinking it would be great, and it actually is amazing. One problem-the reason I bought it was for one type of hardware which does not like to work in Windows 7 64 bit. So instead of plunking down an extra 150 dollars for 64 bit Pro, I decided to pull out an old XP CD and install it.

Well...it's been a total pain in the ass. First, no XP drivers for wifi. Then, Linux was watermarking the AMD drivers because they haven't created 5650. Now, no drivers for the Video card in XP. Sigh.

And while I'm at it, the Realtek sound card drivers are not listed for Windows XP either. If anyone could

Does anyone know if there is a workaround for this? There are no XP drivers listed on AMD's site. I might just have to bite the bullet and buy Windows 7 Prof. :/

Anyone's help on this would be totally appreciated

Last edited:

Sylvanas

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2004
Since 10.1 AMD releases the same mainline driver for both laptop and desktop. I think I recall this was for Vista and Win7 only.

Here

It depends on the manufacturer of your laptop and if they opted out of this program. You may be stuck with either a) old crappy manufacturer XP driver or b) no XP driver (considering if your laptop came with win7 preloaded).

Last edited:

equalizeme

May 12, 2010
Interestingly enough, I was able to get the driver installed by using this guy's hack:

http://www.talkaboutselling.co.uk/acer-aspire-5740g-t728.html

That being said, it still won't work because the support for two monitors is nonexistent and I can't figure out how to get the sound to work. I really hate Microsoft for making me buy their %#@!$%$ Professional upgrade JUST so I can emulate Windows XP which I can't run anymore, even though I have a legitimate copy. Serves me right for buying a new computer rofl.

faxon

Platinum Member
May 23, 2008
Interestingly enough, I was able to get the driver installed by using this guy's hack:

http://www.talkaboutselling.co.uk/acer-aspire-5740g-t728.html

That being said, it still won't work because the support for two monitors is nonexistent and I can't figure out how to get the sound to work. I really hate Microsoft for making me buy their %#@!$%$ Professional upgrade JUST so I can emulate Windows XP which I can't run anymore, even though I have a legitimate copy. Serves me right for buying a new computer rofl.
uh, run it in a VM? microsoft's virtual PC is free