Athlon64 skt 939 question...

Ocho Cinco

Sep 1, 2008
Greetings all.

I'm a nOObie here and have a question for the more knowledgable. I currently am running a 4000 San Diego ... how much of a performance gain would I get if I moved to an Opty 165 ?

myocardia

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2003
You'd get way, way less performance (600 Mhz less) in all single-threaded apps and games. You'd get somewhat of a boost (along the lines of 50-60%) in dual-threaded apps and games, though.

Flipped Gazelle

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2004
If you can get the Opty for cheap, it's a worthwhile upgrade. A couple of years ago I moved from a 3700+ @ 2.6 Ghz to an Opty 165 @ 2.5 Ghz and noticed somewhat of an improvement in system responsiveness, and that was prior to most apps being multithreaded.

Ever consider changing your name to Chad Johnson?

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Will you be overclocking? Opteron 165's pretty much all seemed to be able to hit 2.7ish GHz, it'd be a nice upgrade if you plan on overclocking. If you don't plan on overclocking I wouldn't bother upgrading that socket to anything, it would just cost too much for a high end 939 processor considering that 939 is a dead socket.

Ocho Cinco

Sep 1, 2008
Originally posted by: Flipped Gazelle
If you can get the Opty for cheap, it's a worthwhile upgrade. A couple of years ago I moved from a 3700+ @ 2.6 Ghz to an Opty 165 @ 2.5 Ghz and noticed somewhat of an improvement in system responsiveness, and that was prior to most apps being multithreaded.What's yer idea of cheap? $50-$60 ?? Yes , I do plan to OC it. I'm just not sure if the increase in performance is worth it over my moderately OC 4000 SD.

Ever consider changing your name to Chad Johnson?
Haha.... Everyones a comedian !

OC

Falloutboy

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2003
if you can find a opty for cheap its a good upgrade, but with most 939 dual cores going for $75+ used, your looking at the prospect that it would be cheaper to sell your current MB/CPU/RAM and upgrade to something like the BE-2400 + Biostar 790gx and 4gb of ram, (hell based on how much ram and what board you have you might break even. I just did this very same thing with my 939 rig, not because I wanted dualcore but because I wanted more memory. sold my 939 board, 4200 x2 for 120 and bought the above board/cpu for 10 bucks more, and sold my 2gb of ram for 60 and scored 4gb of ddr2 for 50. now is the time to dump your 939 stuff before it loses its value.

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
yap. 939 stuff is overpriced, you can get a significant upgrade for the same price as you sell it for... sell it.

Ocho Cinco

Sep 1, 2008
Originally posted by: Falloutboy
it would be cheaper to sell your current MB/CPU/RAM and upgrade ... (hell based on how much ram and what board you have you might break even.... now is the time to dump your 939 stuff before it loses its value.

You know , I discussed this same thing with my wife earlier this summer. I was originally going to sell my NIB Asus A8N-SLI w/ A-64 4000 SD on flea-bay and buy a skt AM2 rig for about what I'd get for my current MB/cpu.

The only hinderence to it then as now is the shortage of cash. I'll probably be able to swing it in another 4-6 weeks.

Any suggestions on a GREAT AM2 setup ?

LEE

Falloutboy

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2003
Originally posted by: Ocho Cinco
Originally posted by: Falloutboy
it would be cheaper to sell your current MB/CPU/RAM and upgrade ... (hell based on how much ram and what board you have you might break even.... now is the time to dump your 939 stuff before it loses its value.

You know , I discussed this same thing with my wife earlier this summer. I was originally going to sell my NIB Asus A8N-SLI w/ A-64 4000 SD on flea-bay and buy a skt AM2 rig for about what I'd get for my current MB/cpu.

The only hinderence to it then as now is the shortage of cash. I'll probably be able to swing it in another 4-6 weeks.

Any suggestions on a GREAT AM2 setup ?

LEE

I went with the Biostar 790gx board for $99 + the BE-2400 for 50. combo slashed $25 off that price. so 135 was my total shiped. I have a fairly mild OC going (only a .1 voltage bump to 1.3) and running it at 3ghz.

another option is to score a used P35 board of the forums and get the new E5200 that is a much more capable platform and would prolly only end up costing you 10-20 more than the above. I didn't go that route because I plan on going quadcore soonish, and figured if the 45nm phenoms are a complete bust (both is price/performance or outright performance) i'll put my current setup into an HTPC and switch to intel then.

Quiksilver

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2005
Originally posted by: myocardia
You'd get way, way less performance (600 Mhz less) in all single-threaded apps and games. You'd get somewhat of a boost (along the lines of 50-60%) in dual-threaded apps and games, though.

:confused:

Did you just hit your head on a rock? A s939 4000+ is a single-core processor, unlike it's AM2 counterpart by the same name.