Athlon64 3000+ OC, anybody else tried this ? What are you getting

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Duvie

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
I agree most of those pcmark scores are worthless....

However this is my pcmark2002 scores

P4 2.4@3.5ghz (1168fsb)

CPU=8812
Mem=10427
HDD=1469

I have raptor as well...

I havent' downloaded pcmark2004 yet. big download and sites are always slammed...

Go get POVRAY 3.5 and run the benchmark program...donwload the benchmark.ini and render that file with the select file and render. Test that as I want to see the score since you are probably running winxp. Most of the scores on there are running with linux. If your system in unstable which it kinda sounds like it to me it will not finish this grueling 20-30 minute test.

I get 26min 17 sec with a non intel compiled or optimised benchmark and that is the best intel non linux system and no winxp system beats that at the benchmark posting site....When I run 2 instances of it I get it done in 21min 40sec and that beats all the athlon64 systems listed...Ahh the wonders of hyperthreading!!! Maybe an FX51 oc'd to 2400 levels may beat it in LInux only...No athlon3200+ with single channel controller is likley to do it unless at 2600 levels...

UPDATE: This is a real world rendering app and no synthetic bullshit from the likes of pcmark, sissoft, and 3dmark which are only good to compare same platform but not cross platform.

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
amd4life, thanx for the advice but the Mushkin memory is way too expensive and its not the memory that is holding me back, but my weak 350watt turbolink power supply and my stock intel heatsink (my temperatures reach upwards of 65*C under load on Abit IS7)

Jeff7181, I dont think my score is high, but neither is it low. When I did a search and compared people with a processor having similar speed, there are people that do in fact have higher scores, but i am able to beat them in either all tests except the last 2 or most of them. The reason being is the last 2 tests i get hammered due to my radeon 8500, and that significantly lower my score.

Whats your score out of curiousity?

For PCMark02 I get CPU 7556, Memory 9000, HD 1030, and thats approximately what P4 processors in line with my cpu speed get. I never implied my score is impressive. I was just trying to reflect on the fact that my score with a measly 3.0ghz was better in almost all tests than that 3000+ athlon 64, which is rather strange considering everyone praises it so much.
Without a doubt for $219 its gonna make the best gaming rig. But for everything else, that might not be so true.

Duvie

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
here are my results...Looks like I need to get the WMV9 codec as well...I think the pro version gives you all the other test. These 10 tests are for the cheap screws like me!!!

System Test Suite
Multithreaded Test 1 / File Compression 6.231 MB/s
Multithreaded Test 1 / File Encryption 58.587 MB/s
Multithreaded Test 2 / File Decompression 42.314 MB/s
Multithreaded Test 2 / Image Processing 16.433 MPixels/s
Multithreaded Test 3 / Virus Scanning 3274.828 MB/s
Multithreaded Test 3 / Grammar Check 2.688 KB/s
File Decryption 101.696 MB/s
Audio Conversion 3090.788 KB/s
Web Page Rendering 6.810 Pages/s
WMV Video Compression 63.778 FPS
DivX Video Compression 70.704 FPS
Physics Calculation and 3D 139.993 FPS
Graphics Memory - 64 Lines 944.526 FPS

Last 2 test are with an ATI Radeon 8500 AIW clocked at 225/185 (they are considerably lower then a retail 8500 275/275)...I am not a gamer....pretty though!!!!

Update: Installed Windows Media PLayer 9 and the Windows Media Encoder 9....sucks downloading this crap with a 56k modem....

ProfessorFate

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 2001
Originally posted by: Duvie

I get 26min 17 sec with a non intel compiled or optimised benchmark and that is the best intel non linux system and no winxp system beats that at the benchmark posting site....When I run 2 instances of it I get it done in 21min 40sec and that beats all the athlon64 systems listed...Ahh the wonders of hyperthreading!!! Maybe an FX51 oc'd to 2400 levels may beat it in LInux only...No athlon3200+ with single channel controller is likley to do it unless at 2600 levels...

UPDATE: This is a real world rendering app and no synthetic bullshit from the likes of pcmark, sissoft, and 3dmark which are only good to compare same platform but not cross platform.

Interesting bench Duvie. I downloaded PovRay and ran the Render/Run Benchmark option.
27min 48 sec on my system. :(

Duvie

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
Originally posted by: ProfessorFate
Originally posted by: Duvie

Interesting bench Duvie. I downloaded PovRay and ran the Render/Run Benchmark option.
27min 48 sec on my system. :(

Seems right...It scales perfectly to the fact I am running 4% faster in clock speed then you now....Ram speed and such may have some effect. I haven't bothered testing that.....I am only runninga 3:2 ratio at my 292fsb but with 2,6,3,3 CPC enabled