Athlon 5350 Initial Impressions

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bgt

Oct 6, 2007
The Asus AM1l-A(+Pico PSU) is not so power friendly as my ASRock board(jack+12V adapter).
Idle=13/14 W
P95=35W
FFXIV=27W

Last edited:

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
The Asus AM1l-A(+Pico PSU) is not so power friendly as my ASRock board(jack+12V adapter).
Idle=13/14 W
P95=35W
FFXIV=
You can't help the idle numbers, but you can improve the load power consumption: at stock clocks you should be able to undervolt the CPU by at least 100mV. (I stress tested -120mV @ 2100Mhz) Also make sure you install the Realtek LAN drivers. That might shave a bit too, as the Windwos default drivers don't have proper power management.

I have the same mainboard and was able to hit 14W idle only with LAN and Sound Chip disabled, but the system is powered with an ATX PSU.

bgt

Oct 6, 2007
The Asus board is not very nice regarding idle consumption. I tried to bring it down but overall it uses 5W more in idle or light surfing mode which is too much difference for me. The board is cheap and I can overclock it to about 2.5Ghz but that is not enough reason to use it. Just waiting for the J1900 with jack plug http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Q1900DC-ITX/index.nl.asp
Asrocks bios is also always easier to upgrade. Asus is a bit oldfashioned still.

Last edited:

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
The Asus board is not very nice regarding idle consumption. I tried to bring it down but overall it uses 5W more in idle or light surfing mode which is too much difference for me.
The picoPSU might also be responsible for some of the losses. Your idle power usage was only ~1W lower than mine, and I'm using a 350W ATX PSU. Hardware.fr also did a review with Asrock AM1B-ITX + 90W picoPSU and got only marginally lower idle numbers.

What I really like about the Asus card is being able to undervolt.

bgt

Oct 6, 2007
The picoPSU might also be responsible for some of the losses. Your idle power usage was only ~1W lower than mine, and I'm using a 350W ATX PSU. Hardware.fr also did a review with Asrock AM1B-ITX + 90W picoPSU and got only marginally lower idle numbers.

What I really like about the Asus card is being able to undervolt.

True. For me the jack input is the best way for PSU sake. Makes a very cable clutterfree small pc. And soooooooo efficient. The 12V/3A adapter is all I need. If you think about it....Asus needs an additional 12V to ATX converter(pico psu).....which makes it more expensive + less efficient.

Last edited:

bgt

Oct 6, 2007
I'd say they're about even. Having used both. Newer Asus boards with UEFI are extremely easy to upgrade... :thumbsup:
Ofcourse the Asus is not difficult to upgrade. But it takes less time with the ASRock to check and install.

Dest_

May 12, 2014
PS I saw(in A-Tune) my 12V mobo voltage is 10.7 V with a 12V supply. No problem because everything is converted to 5V and lower and the SSD uses no mechanical motor.
Only 12V hardware is the CPU cooler.......this 10.7V makes it only quieter.

I like the power supply that you are using. Small size, cheap and low power usage. I intend to build a similar system as yours. But I want to add a slimline BluRay/DVD drive.

Is the 12V line the only line with a decreased voltage?

I think that a 2,5” SSD uses the 5V line to power it. Do you happen to know if a slimline BluRay/DVD uses the 12V line or the 5V line. I assume it uses the 5V line, but I’m not sure. Do you think it would be possible to power mobo, cpu, ram, SSD, a slimline slimline BluRay/DVD drive and some usb devices (IR, BT, Phone) with this power supply?

Can you tell me If the usb ports still supply power when the system is shut down? Can I charge my phone on a usb port when the system isn’t running?

bgt

Oct 6, 2007
I like the power supply that you are using. Small size, cheap and low power usage. I intend to build a similar system as yours. But I want to add a slimline BluRay/DVD drive. Is the 12V line the only line with a decreased voltage? I think that a 2,5” SSD uses the 5V line to power it. Do you happen to know if a slimline BluRay/DVD uses the 12V line or the 5V line. I assume it uses the 5V line, but I’m not sure. Do you think it would be possible to power mobo, cpu, ram, SSD, a slimline slimline BluRay/DVD drive and some usb devices (IR, BT, Phone) with this power supply?Can you tell me If the usb ports still supply power when the system is shut down? Can I charge my phone on a usb port when the system isn’t running?
I can test it with a DVD writer/player. The only things that use 12V directly are electric motors, all else is attenuated to 5V or less. I don't know about the charging your mobile while its off. I think you should find this in the manual.

update: it does charge via usb when its off. Just tested my mobile headphone.

Last edited:

bgt

Oct 6, 2007
Thx for testing the power on the usb ports when the system is off. It seems that a slimline BluRay/DVD drive doesn’t uses the 12V line, only the 5V line.

Yes, testing now. No problem burning a DVD on the slimline DVD drive(it only uses 5v). A normal DVD drive resets the pc once the disk starts running.......so a no go. Average power usage while burning(PowerIso5.9) an ISO on a DVD+RW = 14/15W. Drive used = Samsung SN-208BB/SB03. PSU = 12V/3A. PC has Comodo virusscan installed.
Power usage while erasing the DVD is 13W. When verifying = 14/15W.
Watching a streamed video in XBMC 13.0 at the same time(when burning is also active) increases the power usage to 16/18W.
Idle when everything has finished =10W. This is a fully installed Windows 8.1.1 with viruscanner/office2013. 8W idle is only achieved on a newly installed Windows 8.1.1(very basic) = not realistic.
Using BT is no problem either. Amazing combo(MB+CPU) really.

PS: I first tried to burn an Iso on a SN-S083F/SB02 drive but I had a damaged DVD+RW causing the power usage to go to 18W when burning and 21/23W when verifying ending in an error in PowerIso5.9

Last edited:

Dest_

May 12, 2014
I was just wondering. According to the mobo specifications it needs a power connector with a 5,5 mm outer ring and an 2,5 mm inner ring. The power supply you are using has a 2,1mm inner ring. Is the power supply connector not to tight on the mobo power connector?