Solved! Athlon 200GE vs FX6100

CenturionIX

Dec 21, 2018
So I currently have a FX6100 and a gtx 1050ti, I’m curious at all if the Athlon 200GE is an upgrade in terms of gaming. I know it’s only 2 cores, I will be upgrading further, I just wanted a small boost because of my budget(in college).

Solution
Since you're on an original* Bulldozer part, yeah the Athlon is superior. Though not by that much, and depending on workload. The "puny" Athlon 200GE can even match a 8350 in certain workloads.

If you're not going to use the IGP, you can even get by fine with a single DIMM, cutting costs a bit there. You can always upgrade to two DIMMs down the line.

*not even Piledriver. Piledriver contains a lot of performance "fixes" compared with the original Bulldozer.

CenturionIX

Dec 21, 2018
Does anyone know if the Athlon is at all better in gaming paired with my 1050 ti? I already have everything ordered and should have done more research, just in my head at the time I instantly thought since it was newer it had to be better then the ancient old FX lineup. I can always just return the processor when it gets here and order a 2200g or 1500x or something in due time, I just wanted to know will I benefit from using it in gaming vs my 6100

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
It should be much faster in single thread and about the same in multithreaded, I reckon. I think you'll see a decent improvement, and in the future you can upgrade to a faster Ryzen chip. Don't worry about it, you've bought into a better platform!

Reactions: CenturionIX

CenturionIX

Dec 21, 2018
It should be much faster in single thread and about the same in multithreaded, I reckon. I think you'll see a decent improvement, and in the future you can upgrade to a faster Ryzen chip. Don't worry about it, you've bought into a better platform!
Kind of what I was thinking, I just either wanted the same performance as my 6100 or an improvement as a placeholder since I can now upgrade down the line to something much better.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
Since you're on an original* Bulldozer part, yeah the Athlon is superior. Though not by that much, and depending on workload. The "puny" Athlon 200GE can even match a 8350 in certain workloads.

If you're not going to use the IGP, you can even get by fine with a single DIMM, cutting costs a bit there. You can always upgrade to two DIMMs down the line.

*not even Piledriver. Piledriver contains a lot of performance "fixes" compared with the original Bulldozer.

Solution

CenturionIX

Dec 21, 2018

Hm ok the Athlon would be a placeholder cpu until I buy something more expensive. I just want a small improvement in gaming. I play games like CSgo, indies, RTS, and games like Rising Storm the rest of my game like big blockbusters on are my Xbox

ZGR

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2012
Just make sure you don't get a bad motherboard. My friend got a prebuilt a 4c8t Ryzen on an A320M board. Big mistake. Nothing worst than having a motherboard hold back an entire upgrade.

B450 is what I would aim for. B350 is fine but it may need a bios flash.

Reactions: CenturionIX

CenturionIX

Dec 21, 2018
Just make sure you don't get a bad motherboard. My friend got a prebuilt a 4c8t Ryzen on an A320M board. Big mistake. Nothing worst than having a motherboard hold back an entire upgrade.

B450 is what I would aim for. B350 is fine but it may need a bios flash.
Yea I made sure I went it with at least a B350 so I have the option for overclocking.