Athiests are apparently the #1 group...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

gopunk

Lifer
Jul 7, 2001
Originally posted by: BigJ
Originally posted by: ruffilb
Originally posted by: Ronstang
I don't believe in God, but I would not consider myself an athiest. I simply don't put enough thought into the issue to really care. I will say that athiests are as annoying if not more so than the fundie religious people though. They are following their own brand of religion all the while being to naive or blind to even notice. There is a BIG difference between being areligious (may not be a word but means non-religious or religiously indifferent for the comprehension impaired of grammar nazis) and being an athiest......but you won't get an athiest to realize or admit that.

What about an athiest who doesn't admit the existence of God because there's not significant scientific evidence to suggest that such a god exists? Is that being blind?

That would be an illogical agnostic posing as an atheist. Or an atheist using partial agnostic beliefs as justification. Especially since science can only prove something false. There would also not be enough significant scientific evidence to prove that a god does not exist.

not sure what you mean by the bolded part. false and true depend on your reference point. being able to prove something is false means you can prove that something else is true.

ruffilb

Diamond Member
Feb 6, 2005
I don't believe in God, but I would not consider myself an athiest. I simply don't put enough thought into the issue to really care. I will say that athiests are as annoying if not more so than the fundie religious people though. They are following their own brand of religion all the while being to naive or blind to even notice. There is a BIG difference between being areligious (may not be a word but means non-religious or religiously indifferent for the comprehension impaired of grammar nazis) and being an athiest......but you won't get an athiest to realize or admit that.

What about an athiest who doesn't admit the existence of God because there's not significant scientific evidence to suggest that such a god exists? Is that being blind?

That would be an illogical agnostic posing as an atheist. Or an atheist using partial agnostic beliefs as justification. Especially since science can only prove something false. There would also not be enough significant scientific evidence to prove that a god does not exist.

Still an atheist - regardless of the reasons, someone who denies the existence of god is an atheist. As for "There would also not be enough significant scientific evidence to prove that a god does not exist," well, there's not enough significant scientific evidence to prove that a group of aliens living in the center of the moon are controlling everything on earth, etc. I'm not saying that science PROVES that there isn't a God, I'm just saying that there's very little evidence to suggest that there is one (especially a Christian God).

Which goes back to your original question of "is that being blind?" Both Theists and Atheists are blind in this sense, and have beliefs.

Imo, it's not being blind - if there's significant scientific evidence presented that a Christian/Buddhist/Muslim God exists, you can bet I'll pay a lot more attention to that religion. Most of the religious people I know would continue to adhere to their current religion.

Pacemaker

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2001
Originally posted by: ValkyrieofHouston
Originally posted by: ValkyrieofHouston
Originally posted by: z0mb13
Originally posted by: z0mb13
what about agnostics?

Didn't say, although if I had to venture a guess, they'd be (incorrectly) thrown into the same boat as atheists.

BLASPHEMY!! :p:D

I believe agnostics think there is a possibility that god exists, while atheists completely believe that there is no god.

Agnostics dont believe in anything. I am an agnostic...

Wrong. You are part of a subset of agnostics, but to say that all agnostics don't believe in anything is erroneous.

Well this may be the case for most, don't know. However I did find the definition of Agnosticism:

Definitions of Agnostic on the Web:

* A word first used by Professor Huxley, to indicate one who believes nothing which cannot be demonstrated by the senses.
www.theosociety.org/pasadena/key/key-glos.htm

* An Agnostic [1] [noun] [OW] embraces a worldview in which the existence of deity is unknown or unknowable. Derives from the Greek agnostos, a = without, gnostos = known or knowledge. "Agnostic[ism] [CE] was coined by Professor TH Huxley in 1869 to describe the mental attitude of one who regarded as futile all attempts to know the reality corresponding to our ultimate scientific, philosophic, and religious ideas."
members.aol.com/porchnus/dict01.htm

* one who believes that the evidence for and against the existence of God is inconclusive. (agnosticism)
www.summit.org/resource/dictionary/

* Agnostic: one who questions religious or spiritual beliefs, and who may choose not to claim any system of knowledge.
iamuniversity.org/glossary/cv_glossarylist.php

* One who holds the theory that God is unknown or unknowable
www.innvista.com/culture/religion/diction.htm

* Someone who claims that they do not know or are unable to know whether God exists.
www.abdn.ac.uk/philosophy/guide/glossary.shtml

* Agnosticism asserts no knowledge of gods and therefore concludes there are no reasons to believe in them or not to believe in them. An agnostic follows this credo and differs from the atheist who has developed an active belief that there are no gods. When it comes to the question of existence of deities, an agnostic will respond: I just don't know.
designdynamics.org/dictionary.html

* someone who is doubtful or noncommittal about something
* of or pertaining to an agnostic or agnosticism
* uncertain of all claims to knowledge
* a person who claims that they cannot have true knowledge about the existence of God (but does not deny that God might exist)
wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

* Agnosticism is the philosophical view that the truth values of certain claims, particularly theological claims regarding the existence of God, gods or deities, are either unknown or inherently unknowable. The term and the related agnostic were coined by Thomas Henry Huxley in 1869 and are also used to describe those who are unconvinced or noncommittal about the existence of deities as well as other matters of religion. ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agnostic

And your point is?

If you read the Wiki article you quoted, you'll see how many varying types of agnostics there are.

True. Agnostics are basically anyone who is neither a theist nor an atheist, and because of this they are a large group. Personally I call myself agnostic because I believe in reason, and trying to prove something that is inherently unable to be proven is a waste of time. Also, I think Pascal's wager is also a waste of time (as most religions require more than lip service to be "truly" saved anyway).

However, to be on topic, my wife's parents are fundamentalist Christians and they love me. Although my wife used to be a lesbian so I think her parents are just glad I'm male.

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by: gopunk

not sure what you mean by the bolded part. false and true depend on your reference point. being able to prove something is false means you can prove that something else is true.

Science and the definition of what is true or false is a bit different than what we take as true or false. Logically, you can prove something is true through the fact that science has proven it false, but science still did not prove that the counter-statement was true.

For example, say that it was scientifically proven that there is no God as we currently believe there to possibly exist through a series of tests of the religion that were falsified. This does not prove true the hypothesis that there is no God by any means. It would prove "true" anyone making the statement that exactly counters the belief in God proven false.

gopunk

Lifer
Jul 7, 2001
Originally posted by: gopunk

Science and the definition of what is true or false is a bit different than what we take as true or false. Logically, you can prove something is true through the fact that science has proven it false, but science still did not prove that the counter-statement was true.

For example, say that it was scientifically proven that there is no God as we currently believe there to possibly exist through a series of tests of the religion that were falsified. This does not prove true the hypothesis that there is no God by any means. It would prove "true" anyone making the statement that exactly counters the belief in God proven false.

sorry, i tried reading this, but i don't think it makes sense. i've bolded the parts that don't make sense.

krunchykrome

Lifer
Dec 28, 2003
How did I know this would turn into a religion debate thread ;)

Since we're all in the mood, Id just like to say I am an Athiest and I feel like religion should be something personal and should not be pushed onto others. Religious people should not try to convert or "recruit" and today religion has turned into quite a business.

I also feel like religion is a shelve people use to place their burdens, fears, hopes, and desires upon; something like a false sense of security.

That second part was a low blow, but since this has turned into a battle, I might as well walk over to my side. :)

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: krunchykrome
How did I know this would turn into a religion debate thread ;)

Since we're all in the mood, Id just like to say I am an Athiest and I feel like religion should be something personal and should not be pushed onto others. Religious people should not try to convert or "recruit" and today religion has turned into quite a business.

I also feel like religion a shelve people use to place their burdens, fears, hopes, and desires upon; something like a false sense of security.

That second part was a low blow, but since this has turned into a battle, I might as well walk over to my side. :)

Agreed. The more the religious right tries to cram their values and beliefs down my throat the more I resent them for it. Religious fundies can take their bibles and their beliefs and cram it up their arses.

ruffilb

Diamond Member
Feb 6, 2005
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus
According to Harper's Index. I don't have a link, because I read it in print. You'll just have to trust me on this one.

Bad news for the 13.13% to 43.28% of you that are.

Edit: Just in case you all were wondering, Muslims were the #2 group (about 2.69 of ATOTers), and African-Americans were the #3.

You mean in case I give a sh!t what the parents think?

Right. In case you give a sh!t what the parents think.

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus
According to Harper's Index. I don't have a link, because I read it in print. You'll just have to trust me on this one.

Bad news for the 13.13% to 43.28% of you that are.

Edit: Just in case you all were wondering, Muslims were the #2 group (about 2.69 of ATOTers), and African-Americans were the #3.

You mean in case I give a sh!t what the parents think?

Right. In case you give a sh!t what the parents think.

I would consider that a "no" for me.

;)

Ausm

RichardE

Banned
Dec 31, 2005
A religious debate with athiest and agnonostics...

this is interesting :confised;

Next up Athiest and Agnostics bomb each other "My version of there is no god is better!"

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: RichardE
A religious debate with athiest and agnonostics...

this is interesting :confised;

Next up Athiest and Agnostics bomb each other "My version of there is no god is better!"
Nah I think that's the sole domain of Old Testament based religions.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Agnostic: Dunno, don't care
Atheist: No

There are differences, but from a practical point of view the differences are so small no one should care.

I am Agnostic/Atheist. One or the other, I don't care which one, because ultimately it makes no difference.

HombrePequeno

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2001
I'm an agnostic atheist. I don't believe in a god due to lack of any scientific proof but I'm open to the idea.

I do recall reading something similar about this. It's sad, really. But parents don't really have too much control over who their children marry these days.

SWScorch

Diamond Member
May 13, 2001
I'm somewhere between agnostic and atheist. I don't believe in god but I'm aware that I could be wrong. I've seen my fair share of discrimination from ignoramuses who think that you need religion to be moral and that anyone who isn't Christian is automatically evil and lacking in ethics. My last gf was Baptist and her father hated me and they all tried to convert me. My current gf is Catholic and much more open-minded.

dighn

Lifer
Aug 12, 2001
Originally posted by: sandorski
I am Agnostic/Atheist. One or the other, I don't care which one, because ultimately it makes no difference.

I'm the same way. Technically I'm agnostic, but practically, I think the possibility of the existence of some kind of diety/dieties is so extremely unlikely that I'd rather believe that we were seeded by aliens (no this is not what I believe, just making a point). So I call myself atheist.

MrWizzard

Platinum Member
Mar 24, 2002
Bryophyte
Heh. I'm sure that my in-laws feel that way. My brother in law actually said to my face "You're going to hell, you shouldn't take your children with you." It took years for my mother in law to back down about wanting to take my kids to her church with her. They've learned not to fvck with me on this subject.

Well if you are right no one will know it because we will all no longer exist when we die. But if you are wrong, forever is a long time to be wrong and know it. Even if you can withstand hell itself. Even worse what if you are wrong and your in-laws are right and you have to see your kids subjected to hell with you but can?t do anything to help or comfort them. Now that will suck.

Bryophyte

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001

There are differences, but from a practical point of view the differences are so small no one should care.

You sound like my husband. I refer to that as 'Apatheist'. "I don't know and I don't care."

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: MrWizzard
Bryophyte
Heh. I'm sure that my in-laws feel that way. My brother in law actually said to my face "You're going to hell, you shouldn't take your children with you." It took years for my mother in law to back down about wanting to take my kids to her church with her. They've learned not to fvck with me on this subject.

Well if you are right no one will know it because we will all no longer exist when we die. But if you are wrong, forever is a long time to be wrong and know it. Even if you can withstand hell itself. Even worse what if you are wrong and your in-laws are right and you have to see your kids subjected to hell with you but can?t do anything to help or comfort them. Now that will suck.
Yeah I guess he'll have to relay on common sense and not worry about it.

Bryophyte

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Bryophyte

Thanks for your concern, but I'll tell you what I told him: You're welcome to have children of your own and raise them any way you see fit, but you have no say in how I raise my children. I would never tell you to teach your children something you do not believe in, and would never go behind your back and teach your small children that my beliefs are right and yours are wrong. You don't mess with someone else's children that way.

He had been telling my children (when they were pretty little, like 2-6 years old) that they needed to pray and that we were going to hell because we didn't and teaching them his prayers. He is their uncle, not their parent, and he needed to back off and stop scaring my kids and interfering in our parenting. He learned that.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Bryophyte

You sound like my husband. I refer to that as 'Apatheist'. "I don't know and I don't care."

hehe

MrWizzard

Platinum Member
Mar 24, 2002
Bryophyte
He had been telling my children (when they were pretty little, like 2-6 years old) that they needed to pray and that we were going to hell because we didn't and teaching them his prayers. He is their uncle, not their parent, and he needed to back off and stop scaring my kids and interfering in our parenting. He learned that.

Yea his tactics could use some help, and it sounds like his theology is a little out of wack too. I understand your position. Be ready incase one of your kids grows up moves out and figures out they want to do the religion thing. Then starts sharing with you.

Bryophyte

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Bryophyte

Yea his tactics could use some help, and it sounds like his theology is a little out of wack too. I understand your position. Be ready incase one of your kids grows up moves out and figures out they want to do the religion thing. Then starts sharing with you.

All parents face the possibility that their children will have different views on political and religious issues from their own when their children are grown. How am I in a different situation? I was raised catholic but turned out to be atheist. My parents show me respect and I show them respect. They do not cross lines with my parenting; they have too much respect for me and for themselves than to do that. I teach my children that when they are at someone's home and they have traditions such as praying before dinner, that they are to sit quietly and respectfully because they are guests in that person's home and they need to show respect for that person's traditions. I also tell them that they should never feel like they should participate just because it is done with them present.

I agree, I think that his personal theological beliefs are pretty messed up, but they belong to him and are none of my business. I would never criticise him for where he goes to church or how he feels about it. I am only concerned that he overstepped his boundaries with regard to our parenting rights/responsibilities, and that he felt that it was acceptible to say something like that to me. What a hateful thing to say.