ATF being investigated in Border Patrol agent killing / whistleblower intimidation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 24, 2001
Apparently Senator Charles Grassley is not a man to be trifled with...

Cliffs:

ATF sells hundreds of assault weapons in border states to traffickers who run them to Mexico.

Two turn up in the shooting death of Border Patrol agent Brian Terry.

OIG investigation says their "Project Gunrunner" is unsuccessful.

5406695846_2ac4a7349d_o.jpg

5406089983_71cf9d5b7c_b.jpg

So Grassley wants a briefing on what is going on. After his first letter, apparently the Phoenix ATF office started accusing the employee who was feeding information to Congress of misconduct. Bad move.

5406093703_7165af5b62_b.jpg

5406699776_ffd2bb55ab_o.jpg

He takes it pretty seriously.

While I have no real interest in the fight, the ATF seems to be one of the only offices to make, interpret and enforce it's on laws.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
The ATF has a reputation of breaking the law, and being above the law - Waco and Ruby Ridge are examples.

Nothing will come of this. Or maybe Senator Charles Grassley will die in a plane crash or skiing accident before anything serious turns up.

Skitzer

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2000
ATF is a loose cannon in this Country ... they do what they want without consequences.

tk149

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2002
Wow, that's eff'd up. No government agency should be unaccountable.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Why would ATF be selling weapons to traffickers?

Scotteq

Diamond Member
Apr 10, 2008
Why would ATF be selling weapons to traffickers?

That's my question, as well: WTF is the ATF doing (allegedly) selling weapons!?!?

{edit} Looked up "Project Gunrunner" - and it's apparently/supposedly an effort to track the movement of grey market weapons. I do not see where it's an effort to sell, or to set up Sting~type busts...

So the question remains: WTF were they (allegedly) thinking if/when they (allegedly) sold weapons?

Another edit: Here's a .pdf from the Justice Dept: http://www.justice.gov/oig/reports/ATF/e1101.pdf

And an article about the shooting and subsequent investigation:
http://www.azcentral.com/community/...enix-gun-store-atf-sting-border-shootout.html

The last article says that two of the weapons used in the AZ shooting were "traced to Project Gunrunner", and originated in a Glendale AZ store...

Deep Doo Doo for the ATF, I should think...

Last edited:

iGas

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2009
I saw a video on Youtube a few years back that shown American, including some officials in Texas that sells guns to unbeknown people for cash with out ID & said WTF back then.

Project Gunrunner

Last edited:

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
Who ratted out the whistleblower?

Why isn't the whistleblower being protected by the FBI or something? How the fuck is a letter from a Congressman going to protect him from being murdered by the ATF?

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
Clearly we need better gun control laws in this country.

Yep, it appears to me that the government needs some kind of background check and waiting period before they can buy or sale weapons.

Want to sale some AK-47s to a drug lord? Your going to need to run a background check on the drug lord, and the person making the sale. And then there is a 7 day waiting period before the drug lord can take possession of the firearm.

Last edited:

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Yep, it appears to me that the government needs some kind of background check and waiting period before they can buy or sale weapons.

Want to sale some AK-47s to a drug lord? Your going to need to run a background check on the drug lord, and the person making the sale. And then there is a 7 day waiting period before the drug lord can take possession of the firearm.

Considering that the ATF is now a felon, that department should be prohibited from ever owning a firearm again.

Status
Not open for further replies.