ATers save time and don't install or look at NetBSD

DWW

Platinum Member
Apr 4, 2003
Well I use FreeBSD as my programming and general environment of choice for all things Unix related.

I have an older P166 I wanted to run FreeBSD on for a few services. Anyhow the machine is a Compaq Deskpro 4000 and FreeBSD had some noted problems, most notably that it wouldn't install at all.

So I give NetBSD a go, because you know, its the most portable/runs on a toaster sort of thing.

Installation takes like 5 minutes, grab gmake and a few more tools and I'm up and running very fast.

Only one problem...the lack of POSIX compliance! Want pthreads? SORRY no native pthreads. Okay, install GNU Pth (Portable Thread library which, among other things, will emulate API calls to pthreads)... only problem is that it crapped out in some of the applications I tried to run which ran flawless on FreeBSD systems :(

If that wasn't bad, include/semaphore.h is NON-EXISTENT !!!

bleh I'm having a bad day.
Stick to FreeBSD if you want a BSD. Featureful, stable and arguably just as secure as OpenBSD but without the project leader Theo de Radt ;)

Platypus

Lifer
Apr 26, 2001
NetBSD's perk is that it basically will run on anything with a pulse.
OpenBSD is security-focused but it's project leader is a nut
FreeBSD is a perfect fit.

Ameesh

Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
rofl, you think any of these idiots even know what posix threads are? they are gonna tell you

OOOHH U SHOULD HAVE INSTALLED GENTOO HUURRRRRRRRRR!

then some other no0b will say :

NO YOU SHOULD INSTAL DEBIAN, ITS THE BEST HUUURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111!ONE

and this will go on and on and none of the realize that the threading model in linux is horrendus garbage too.

wrong forum man, no one knows what you are talking about.

Platypus

Lifer
Apr 26, 2001
Originally posted by: Ameesh
rofl, you think any of these idiots even know what posix threads are? they are gonna tell you

NO YOU SHOULD INSTAL DEBIAN, ITS THE BEST HUUURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111!ONE

and this will go on and on and none of the realize that the threading model in linux is horrendus garbage too.

Hey now :p there are some intelligent people in OT

Ameesh

Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
btw i think freebsd and solaris are both pretty good. iwish more p[eople would either of those.

DWW

Platinum Member
Apr 4, 2003
btw i think freebsd and solaris are both pretty good. iwish more p[eople would either of those.

Yeah ;)

I want to pick up some older (5 year old type) Sun hardware that I can afford to muck around with 64-bit and Solaris 9. Can't afford a new Athlon 64 and don't want the instabilities (that I've heard of) of Solaris-x86 :)

Would be nice just to learn even.

I love, LOVE FreeBSD though. Ports and Packages :D And well its just great all around.

I don't buy into OpenBSD is more secure so I've never thought of it for a server. Sure out of the box it is, but people want to actually -do- stuff even on their servers which requires that services (from untrusted sources perhaps?) be running. Just disable what you don't need in FreeBSD and its arguably just as good. Thats my thought at least ;)

And with so many huge uptimes on netcraft, FreeBSD can't be doing anything wrong really.

TerryMathews

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Solaris is nice, but how many people own it's intended environment (UltraSPARC)? x86 is just something it's ported to; Sun's bastard child platform.

I was under the impression that threading and scheduling works much better in the 2.60 kernel series for Linux?

FreeBSD works (much) better under some circumstances when compared to Linux, but keep in mind how much more mature it is than Linux. FreeBSD was (originally) created from the AT&T SysV codebase and had been released and sued before Linux was ever created.

The fact that Linux is UNIX compatible at all in this short period of time is nothing short of astounding.

Platypus

Lifer
Apr 26, 2001
Originally posted by: DWW

Yeah ;)

I want to pick up some older (5 year old type) Sun hardware that I can afford to muck around with 64-bit and Solaris 9. Can't afford a new Athlon 64 and don't want the instabilities (that I've heard of) of Solaris-x86 :)

Would be nice just to learn even.

I love, LOVE FreeBSD though. Ports and Packages :D And well its just great all around.

I don't buy into OpenBSD is more secure so I've never thought of it for a server. Sure out of the box it is, but people want to actually -do- stuff even on their servers which requires that services (from untrusted sources perhaps?) be running. Just disable what you don't need in FreeBSD and its arguably just as good. Thats my thought at least ;)

And with so many huge uptimes on netcraft, FreeBSD can't be doing anything wrong really.

They really aren't doing a single thing wrong despite what the legions of OpenBSD minions will have you believe. Theo's reasons for leaving and starting OpenBSD were basically security, and at this point FreeBSD's security isn't even an issue so the whole thing is a nonpoint anyway. I think FreeBSD is a very intelligent OS and I think the people over at Apple saw something in it too ;)

Ameesh

Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: CorporateRecreation

Hey now :p there are some intelligent people in OT

HUUUURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

NuclearFusi0n

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2001
time to jump in this oswar with my stupid unresearched statement backing only what i know like everybody else

LOONIX

DWW

Platinum Member
Apr 4, 2003
Originally posted by: NuclearFusi0n
time to jump in this oswar with my stupid unresearched statement backing only what i know like everybody else

LOONIX

eh it wasn't mean to be an OS war by any means just a suggestion
if people want a POSIX system don't touch NetBSD
1.7 might be better (heard native threads then) but 1.6.1 is not a good thing at all.

n0cmonkey

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2001
1. Old Compaq hardware sucks. Burn it.
2. Did you try -CURRENT?
3. Is FreeBSD certified POSIX compliant?
4. Where is W^X or a similar technology in FreeBSD? How about ProPolice? systrace? What are they using instead of OpenSSH? ;) (OpenBSD related)
5. Whoever mentioned Apple realizes they only took userland from FreeBSD, NetBSD, and OpenBSD right? (grep /etc for BSD)
6. Spell de Raadt correctly, please.
7. Old Compaw hardware sucks, burn it.

DWW

Platinum Member
Apr 4, 2003
Originally posted by: n0cmonkey
2. Did you try -CURRENT?
4. Where is W^X or a similar technology in FreeBSD? How about ProPolice? systrace? What are they using instead of OpenSSH? ;) (OpenBSD related)
5. Whoever mentioned Apple realizes they only took userland from FreeBSD, NetBSD, and OpenBSD right? (grep /etc for BSD)

Wait, why are you reviving a month old thread?

1. Yes older compaqs are not preferable but it is what I had, so get over it.

2. Yes I tried -CURRENT

3. I don't think FreeBSD is certified but there are costs involved in that which the group may or may not have. It is closer than NetBSD I'd venture to say.

4. W^X and Systrace? Are people still not writing solid code? You don't hand audit every line of code you run? Pffft your not hardcore enough (sarcasm in response to your tangent). I've never had a use for a sandbox myself. ProPolice? What is that? Oh maybe you mean SSP :p Well it has been debunked on NGs and has its own problems as you know. Sure its decent but its not the solution. The SSP home (ibm.com) has information on adding it to FreeBSD by the way. OpenSSH? Its right there in ports. Oh you mean, since its a "war" we can't use anything from them because we don't run OpenBSD? Bleh. I don't like the GPL but I run a fvckload of GPL code.

5. I did not say that so I won't address it.

6. I meant to spelt it "de Rat" but thankfully you caught my error and I'll keep that in mind for the future.

7. Compaw? If you're going to be a spelling nazi... :p

n0cmonkey

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2001
Originally posted by: DWW
Originally posted by: n0cmonkey
2. Did you try -CURRENT?

Wait, why are you reviving a month old thread?

I was bored :)

1. Yes older compaqs are not preferable but it is what I had, so get over it.

It says something about FreeBSD if it can't support your hardware, doesn't it? ;)

2. Yes I tried -CURRENT

Had to ask, since you only mention 1.6.1.

3. I don't think FreeBSD is certified but there are costs involved in that which the group may or may not have. It is closer than NetBSD I'd venture to say.

NT was even closer.

4. W^X and Systrace? Are people still not writing solid code? You don't hand audit every line of code you run? Pffft your not hardcore enough (sarcasm in response to your tangent). I've never had a use for a sandbox myself. ProPolice? What is that? Oh maybe you mean SSP :p Well it has been debunked on NGs and has its own problems as you know. Sure its decent but its not the solution. The SSP home (ibm.com) has information on adding it to FreeBSD by the way. OpenSSH? Its right there in ports. Oh you mean, since its a "war" we can't use anything from them because we don't run OpenBSD? Bleh. I don't like the GPL but I run a fvckload of GPL code.

It's not a "war," just reminding you that FreeBSD isn't the only good thing out there. ;) And no, none of those software pieces I mentioned are solutions to everything. But security is a layered thing. They are more layers.

5. I did not say that so I won't address it.

6. I meant to spelt it "de Rat" but thankfully you caught my error and I'll keep that in mind for the future.

Ok then, that's just rude.

7. Compaw? If you're going to be a spelling nazi... :p

You got me there. ;)