Atari Sells 4 million copies of Enter the Matrix.....

theNEOone

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2001
...at $50 a pop that's $200 million - and the release date isn't until May 15th. crazy.

i've got mine on reserve :D

link

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Those are retail orders...i.e. stores putting their orders in. Not 4 million copies presold to consumers!!!

theNEOone

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2001
Originally posted by: uncJIGGA
Those are retail orders...i.e. stores putting their orders in. Not 4 million copies presold to consumers!!!

well that means squat to atari because they get the $200 million regardless.

dolph

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2001
Originally posted by: theNEOone

news flash: if the game costs $50 to consumers, and atari ships 4 million, atari did not make $200 million. stores might want a little bit of profit for themselves...

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000

Eventually...assuming all those copies are sold. I don't think retailers buy games for $50 and sell them for no profit...;)

EDIT: bah...a little slow...watching some T&A on TV sorry...

theNEOone

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2001

Eventually...assuming all those copies are sold. I don't think retailers buy games for $50 and sell them for no profit...;)

not eventually. they get the money regardless of whether or not best buy, etc. sells their copies.

and jeez you guys are picky. yes, of course atari sells them cheaper than $50. but not by much. $40, $45?? that's still $160 million. i don't think they'll be complaining

Rent

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2000
Whats going to be funny is when people realize that this game is merely average. I can already see the angry lines at my store.

Atari is just a brand name now owned by Infrogames. If you'll look at the boxes of games like Unreal Tournament 2003, Unreal 2, Neverwinter Nights, ect.. they all have Atari logos on them.

Staples

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2001
I'd venture to say that the cost of the game to retailers is no more than $35. Retail markup is said to be 50%.

theNEOone

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2001
Originally posted by: Rent
Whats going to be funny is when people realize that this game is merely average. I can already see the angry lines at my store.

Atari is just a brand name now owned by Infrogames. If you'll look at the boxes of games like Unreal Tournament 2003, Unreal 2, Neverwinter Nights, ect.. they all have Atari logos on them.

man why's everyone shooting this down.....

you haven't even played the game and you're already bashing it. anyway, the main reason i'm getting the game is for the hour footage and the plotline in the game. it's supposed to be a link between the matrix, the animatrix series, and matrix reloaded. it's more of an interactive movie than a game, really.

Yossarian

Lifer
Dec 26, 2000

not eventually. they get the money regardless of whether or not best buy, etc. sells their copies.

maybe not... I'm not sure how the video game industry works, but in other fields retailers have agreements with manufacturers that unsold units go back so the retailer isn't stuck with product that won't sell.

Jadow

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2003
and jeez you guys are picky. yes, of course atari sells them cheaper than $50. but not by much. $40, $45?? that's still $160 million. i don't think they'll be complaining

closer to 25 bucks a copy or less

theNEOone

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2001
Originally posted by: Staples
I'd venture to say that the cost of the game to retailers is no more than $35. Retail markup is said to be 50%.

i seriously doubt that - w/ a flexbility margin of $15, then why are retailers all selling it at the same price? if they were to drop the price by $5 or $10 there would be the possibility of stealing customers from their competitors. atari might have a way of preventing this by limiting the amount of copies they release to any given retailer, but i still doubt that the price is $35. atari is THE ONLY source of the game. so it makes sense that they'd want to milk the most out of the game. they really wouldn't lose any sales by selling the game at $40 or $45 as opposed to $35.

theNEOone

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2001
Originally posted by: Jadow

closer to 25 bucks a copy or less

lol. you think atari is going to sell a game like this selling for $25.

that's funny.

Rent

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2000
Originally posted by: Jadow and jeez you guys are picky. yes, of course atari sells them cheaper than $50. but not by much. $40, $45?? that's still $160 million. i don't think they'll be complaining closer to 25 bucks a copy or less
lol. you think atari is going to sell a game like this selling for $25. that's funny.

The fact that you bought into all the hype around this game is whats funny.

theNEOone

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2001
Originally posted by: Jadow and jeez you guys are picky. yes, of course atari sells them cheaper than $50. but not by much. $40, $45?? that's still $160 million. i don't think they'll be complaining closer to 25 bucks a copy or less
lol. you think atari is going to sell a game like this selling for $25. that's funny.

The fact that you bought into all the hype around this game is whats funny.

90% of all things sold in entertainment is hype. nothing new or "funny" there, cool guy.

Mani

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2001
Probably the last time Atari made that much was with Pole Position.

rockyct

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2001

No other movie video game has been made like this before. The game actually ties in with the movie, so to get the whole story you need to have played the game. Plus, the brothers wrote the script and filmed it, so they had quality control of the game.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: Staples

i seriously doubt that - w/ a flexbility margin of $15, then why are retailers all selling it at the same price? if they were to drop the price by $5 or $10 there would be the possibility of stealing customers from their competitors. atari might have a way of preventing this by limiting the amount of copies they release to any given retailer, but i still doubt that the price is $35. atari is THE ONLY source of the game. so it makes sense that they'd want to milk the most out of the game. they really wouldn't lose any sales by selling the game at $40 or $45 as opposed to $35.

because pricefixing in some instances is legal. you break your contract and you face penalties

kazeakuma

Golden Member
Feb 13, 2001
I knew all my digging round after the resurgence of atari would enable me to post this incredibly useless information one day. ;)
I got curious after I saw Atari on the UT2K3 box.

1998 Hasbro acquires the rights to Atari Corp.'s name and properties
1999 Hasbro releases their rights to the Jaguar to the public; Atari
is reborn as their new home video game label.
2000 Infogrammes Entertainment purchases Hasbro Interactive,
including all of Hasbro's rights to the Atari name and all of
its properties.

As for the game, eh, the movie does nothing for me, why should the game?

theNEOone

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2001
Originally posted by: kazeakuma

ok, well it just might not be your cup of tea. but how can you say that the movie does nothing for you? it's not even out yet. duh.

kazeakuma

Golden Member
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: kazeakuma

ok, well it just might not be your cup of tea. but how can you say that the movie does nothing for you? it's not even out yet. duh.

I do of course mean the original movie. If I had seen the new movie, now that would raise some questions wouldn't it :)