AT World of Warcraft Thread (Mists, Where do you play, General BS and all that)

Page 40 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
literally just hit exalted with Golden Lotus... so I go to wowhead and try and lookup the VEB quest for exalted and what do I see? That there's a grand commendation that I could've used from revered to exalted they put in for 5.1. Not reading patch notes FTL. F M L.

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005
So much luck changed overnight! Did terrance and 2nd half of HOF this morning and I got a nice ring, tier helm, and a nice weapon (sha-touched). Maybe I'll get something else in MSV and Sha.

Xonim

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
Hacp said:
So much luck changed overnight! Did terrance and 2nd half of HOF this morning and I got a nice ring, tier helm, and a nice weapon (sha-touched). Maybe I'll get something else in MSV and Sha.

Congrats! A guy in my guild put in a ticket last night complaining about not getting any loot in the last few weeks. It made me laugh. Hopefully you can finish your sets as people still running LFR are not getting any better...

diesbudt said:
<Bladelord Snip>

Our biggest problem with our attempts was that one healer was laggy (relatively normal for him, he lives in the middle of nowhere...) and the other just can't avoid tornados.

We did do the "stop at 12% or so" thing the time of our kill, but all but 1 of the dps went down in going across anyway.

diesbudt said:
<Tsulong Snip>

After talking to my raid leader (mistweaver monk), apparently he was the only one healing / dispelling tsulong, even though it was discussed with the tree / paladin what they needed to be doing. We didn't have any problems with the adds dying.

I also talked to the raid leader this morning briefly, he's going to be swapping to his shaman (resto/elemental) after our 2-3 week break around the holidays. Seems to think he'll be able to do better on it given equivalent gear. I know nothing about shaman (mine's 85, but only did some WotLK / Cata heroic 5man healing), so whatever. I know they're not considered very powerful atm, but we'll see. That would also allow our paladin to focus on healing every fight, instead of swapping to dps.

Paladin only ever logs out in pvp ret gear, so armory does no good.

I started the "new" dailies last night, can't say I'm a fan. It all seems to spread out / inefficient. I'm going to do them while in a terrace queue tonight, but if Tsulong drops those 483 boots I probably won't bother with these dailies.

diesbudt

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2012
Our biggest problem with our attempts was that one healer was laggy (relatively normal for him, he lives in the middle of nowhere...) and the other just can't avoid tornados.

We did do the "stop at 12% or so" thing the time of our kill, but all but 1 of the dps went down in going across anyway.

Be forewarned.

The 4th boss of HoF, can cause a raid whipe to players lagging. The wind bomb the boss puts on the ground, 4s to get out of it when it spawns on top of you or it blows. A normal char can run out in 2ish seconds. So a slight lag in there can make or break the raid group.

After talking to my raid leader (mistweaver monk), apparently he was the only one healing / dispelling tsulong, even though it was discussed with the tree / paladin what they needed to be doing. We didn't have any problems with the adds dying.

I also talked to the raid leader this morning briefly, he's going to be swapping to his shaman (resto/elemental) after our 2-3 week break around the holidays. Seems to think he'll be able to do better on it given equivalent gear. I know nothing about shaman (mine's 85, but only did some WotLK / Cata heroic 5man healing), so whatever. I know they're not considered very powerful atm, but we'll see. That would also allow our paladin to focus on healing every fight, instead of swapping to dps.

Paladin only ever logs out in pvp ret gear, so armory does no good.

I started the "new" dailies last night, can't say I'm a fan. It all seems to spread out / inefficient. I'm going to do them while in a terrace queue tonight, but if Tsulong drops those 483 boots I probably won't bother with these dailies.

Yes. Mistweaver monks need to focus Tsulong on that fight. I can put up 150k+ easily on normal mode just because of the fight and my healing mechanics. However 2 healers need to focus it. Only healer I would not have focus tsulong over the raid is disc priests... and that is because damage preventation bubbles don't help tsulong any.

Shamans are not having the same mana issue in similar gear/skill as monks, however they may not push out the same HPS as monks. I still enjoy healing on the monk. I just find it boring that in 5 mans, and on low damage fights I just use healing sphere which can crit heal for 150k for only 6k mana. Blizzard pidgeon holed us into this gimmick. But I have adapted and play mroe conservative leaning on the other healers now. They have had to step up our game, but overall it just means I am playing 20% harder now for the same outcome as before. Thus no real reason for me to drop the monk for any other healer. But to each his own.

Only have empress and sha of fear left. Both around the 50-60% mark after a few attempts each just to see it. Won't be raiding for new kills next 2 weeks for xmas break.

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005
Ended the day on a good note with my druid. I got the fan off of feng in LFR, completing her weapon/offhand combo! Got loot from elegon lfr but it was the boots, not the trinket -_-. All in all, a good 2 days!

On my shaman, different story. 3 pieces of loot, all things I don't need.

Josh123

Diamond Member
Aug 4, 2002
Saw last night that Blizzard has MoP for 75% off and Newegg has it for $20 right now. I find it kind of funny how low it has come down in the amount of time it's been out.

cronos

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
Saw last night that Blizzard has MoP for 75% off and Newegg has it for $20 right now. I find it kind of funny how low it has come down in the amount of time it's been out.

Blizzard has it for 75% (25% off) = $30. This was already posted by Lupi above. I got mine for $15 on Black Friday.

It is unusual if we look back to the other expansions, but these price cuts reflect more on how PC games in general having a tendency to be discounted early. It's just how they're selling these days (see: Steam sales). The premium of release day prices just don't last long at all now.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
If I were a little more than a casual player, I wouldn't want to be this many months behind everybody else. I wouldn't have waited anyway. Those who get it now are casuals, so no big deal.

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005
Finally some luck! I managed to get the legs off spiritbinder with my bonus roll. I swear, if it weren't for those bonus rolls, I wouldnt have any gear!

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
Did all the LFRs on my alt paladin tank, didn't get shit! :p

we_aint_found_shit.jpg

Last edited:

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005
Did all the LFRs on my alt paladin tank, didn't get shit! :p

we_aint_found_shit.jpg

Dam that sucks! Now with the legs, and 3 pvp pieces soon to be upgraded to 491 after I cap conquest for the week, my shaman is fully geared. I feel happy because I finally finished him for the time being, but sad as well because I don't have anything to work for.

Its a good thing I leveled up my druid so now I can work on gearing her up as well!

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Yep, they've always had holiday sales; just this is one of the few times they've put the recent item out to sale at full price long enough prior to the end of the year for it to be included. Plus as these are digital only sales direct from blizz, they are losing negligible amount ($$$) compared to authorizing retail hardcopy retailers to push this price.

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005
Yep, they've always had holiday sales; just this is one of the few times they've put the recent item out to sale at full price long enough prior to the end of the year for it to be included. Plus as these are digital only sales direct from blizz, they are losing negligible amount ($$$) compared to authorizing retail hardcopy retailers to push this price.

Actually, this is what I remember. Cataclysm, Wrath, and BC were all released in either December or January so they didn't have the chance to put those expansions on sale.

Xonim

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
Last raid before Christmas was last night. Ranked again (arcane mages)! This time #78 on Feng 10 Normal. My #112 rank on Protectors from last week dropped to #145 when I checked last night.

Jumped into HoF, had a few people with "DUH" moments that died to attenuation when he teleported to platforms and they didn't wait for it to clear before running across. Next time we had a healer not stand in the big yellow bubbles. Third time was a kill.

Then bladelord was, uh, frustrating. Didn't get him this week, even though we managed last week. We have 1 healer who was super laggy last night again, and then the other healer is completely incapable of getting across alive. I think out of 5-6 attempts he made it across exactly once.

Replaced my 476 Light of the Cosmos with the 489 version. Also got a 496 ring off ... whatever the first HoF guy is, but I don't know if I'm going to use it. I have to run the math. My current 489s are hit/haste and haste/mastery, the 496 is hit/crit which might not math out to be better. I'll have to check.

Trying to decide if I should spend some VP's to upgrade my 496 OH, 476 DMF trinket, and now my 489 LotC -- or if I should save them for a few weeks so I can bring my 476 boots up to the 496 ones from the newer Karasang dailies when/if I ever get around to doing them.

EDIT: Also going to focus on leveling/gearing my disc priest for the next few weeks unless I can find an alt raid, I think a disc priest would be awesome for bladelord with the insta bubbles and the runspeed boost. If not, holy with CoH. At least then we'd have a backup for when our normal one is really lagging.

diesbudt

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2012
Last raid before Christmas was last night. Ranked again (arcane mages)! This time #78 on Feng 10 Normal. My #112 rank on Protectors from last week dropped to #145 when I checked last night.

Jumped into HoF, had a few people with "DUH" moments that died to attenuation when he teleported to platforms and they didn't wait for it to clear before running across. Next time we had a healer not stand in the big yellow bubbles. Third time was a kill.

Then bladelord was, uh, frustrating. Didn't get him this week, even though we managed last week. We have 1 healer who was super laggy last night again, and then the other healer is completely incapable of getting across alive. I think out of 5-6 attempts he made it across exactly once.

Replaced my 476 Light of the Cosmos with the 489 version. Also got a 496 ring off ... whatever the first HoF guy is, but I don't know if I'm going to use it. I have to run the math. My current 489s are hit/haste and haste/mastery, the 496 is hit/crit which might not math out to be better. I'll have to check.

Trying to decide if I should spend some VP's to upgrade my 496 OH, 476 DMF trinket, and now my 489 LotC -- or if I should save them for a few weeks so I can bring my 476 boots up to the 496 ones from the newer Karasang dailies when/if I ever get around to doing them.

EDIT: Also going to focus on leveling/gearing my disc priest for the next few weeks unless I can find an alt raid, I think a disc priest would be awesome for bladelord with the insta bubbles and the runspeed boost. If not, holy with CoH. At least then we'd have a backup for when our normal one is really lagging.

Bolded.... LOL that is my favorite part about that fight. So many times he goes under during attenuation in that after casting immediatly heads to a new platform and everyone immediately chases... only to run around in circles in the fog like chickens with their heads cut off dodging disks.

This week and next we have no raiding. I joined up with a different guild group for this week that needed a healer and a melee dps (brought rogue from my raid group) and we helped them to their first amber shaper, elite protectors, and tsulong kill last night. Which was exciting re-experiencing these fights a first time yet teaching people how to beat these fights and what truicks to use.

Unless you start the dailies now and do them all everyday, for now it would be better to upgrade any 496 weapon(s). As it may take 2 more resets to get revered with shield wall now.

If tsulong just dropped me a 496 belt I wouldn't be saving my VP for the daily belt next week.

I tried pugging a MSV with a .... terrible terrible group. Wanted to 2 heal dogs and feng (which is fine) but their dps was only about 65% of what dps should do when 2 healing it. So we whiped a few times. Eventually I pulled out all the stops to down them and ended the fight at 82k hps (compared to the paladins 49k).

Kept whiping to feng, so i just left. Horrible group

Xonim

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
Unless you start the dailies now and do them all everyday, for now it would be better to upgrade any 496 weapon(s). As it may take 2 more resets to get revered with shield wall now.

I just hit friendly on Monday or Tuesday, which is the last time I've done them. I do have a 496 weapon, but it's not a sha-touched so I'm probably not going to upgrade it until I've upgraded everything else.

If tsulong just dropped me a 496 belt I wouldn't be saving my VP for the daily belt next week.

Feel the same way. Was hoping for even the 483 boots from LFR from him so the 496 ones weren't AS BIG of an upgrade, and I might not feel like doing those godawful dailies...

I tried pugging a MSV with a .... terrible terrible group. Wanted to 2 heal dogs and feng (which is fine) but their dps was only about 65% of what dps should do when 2 healing it. So we whiped a few times. Eventually I pulled out all the stops to down them and ended the fight at 82k hps (compared to the paladins 49k).

Ouch. I know dps is kind of fun, because 2 weeks in a row now we've had a massive jump in raid dps. I was up anywhere from 5-7k on most fights, almost 25k on Elegon. Our ww monk gained a ton also (not sure why), as did our mutilate rogue (got a 496 MH dagger from his other raid). The rogue and myself now can sometimes beat our hunter, who just went from 463-->489 bow last week. It was a pretty impressive jump, we were beating our previous record kills by upwards of 60 seconds for most of the night.

EDIT: First VP upgrades will probably be my OH and my DMF trinket. OH is 496 from Blade Lord, and then DMF trinket is still #2 BiS for arcane post-5.1. My neck is also a 496 hit/mastery one from Galleon, so that's probably BiS (unless there's a hit/haste or haste/mastery one, I haven't looked) for me since I doubt we'll ever do heroic modes. We're not hardcore enough.

I have enough VP's for 1 upgrade this week, don't think I have enough room until the cap to get a 2nd, but I should be able to do 2 next week.

Last edited:

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005
Feel the same way. Was hoping for even the 483 boots from LFR from him so the 496 ones weren't AS BIG of an upgrade, and I might not feel like doing those godawful dailies...

Ya I had trouble with the boots/belt slot as well. Finally got enough conquest to get 491 versions of those.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
that's annoying... got my LFR tier chest piece, but it's not an upgrade until I also have the legs (which would give me the 4-piece bonus).

can't decide if I should just bank it until I get the legs, or use it to get the off-spec healer chest (which would give me a 2-piece bonus in my resto gear)

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005
that's annoying... got my LFR tier chest piece, but it's not an upgrade until I also have the legs (which would give me the 4-piece bonus).

can't decide if I should just bank it until I get the legs, or use it to get the off-spec healer chest (which would give me a 2-piece bonus in my resto gear)

The 2 piece reso isn't too good. I would try to use your coins on amber shaper LFR and sha of anger. You'll get it eventually. Four piece is definetly worth it. I don't have 4 piece myself, but just comparing the single target damage I get from spamming chain lightning and using earth shock on CD to just using lightning bolt and I can tell that having fulmination up frequently is a huge quality of life buff.

Going off topic here, but I did some Dps as an OOMkin last night and going back to a low mobility caster style really made me appreciate how good elemental shaman have it in tems of the mobility department. I'm accustomed to it, I rocked face with OOMkin in WOTLK, but it still feels strange to lose so much mobility. I'll adapt and it'll turn out fine though.

Last edited:

AznAnarchy99

Lifer
Dec 6, 2004
Windwalkers are getting some nice changes in 5.2. Looks like they'll be less boring to play and more dps.

Second, I wish I had people to raid with. Did 6/6 MV with some guild and I picked up all the fights as I went. Shit is so easy I dont understand why pugs suck so much. I wish there was 10 of me so I can just do it myself lol.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
The 2 piece reso isn't too good. I would try to use your coins on amber shaper LFR and sha of anger. You'll get it eventually. Four piece is definetly worth it. I don't have 4 piece myself, but just comparing the single target damage I get from spamming chain lightning and using earth shock on CD to just using lightning bolt and I can tell that having fulmination up frequently is a huge quality of life buff.

Going off topic here, but I did some Dps as an OOMkin last night and going back to a low mobility caster style really made me appreciate how good elemental shaman have it in tems of the mobility department. I'm accustomed to it, I rocked face with OOMkin in WOTLK, but it still feels strange to lose so much mobility. I'll adapt and it'll turn out fine though.

I've decided to let my token sit in my bags for now... we'll see which happens first -- another token to get my 4P ele bonus, or my guild starts raiding again and needs me back as resto.

at the moment, I've been saving my tokens for Sha of Fear (trinket), Amber-Shaker (T14 pants), and Sha of Anger.

on a side-note, I've been power-leveling my DK this weekend. an out of town roommate + instant queues as DPS have taken me from 70 -> 78.5 since Thursday night. after hitting 78, though, queues are back down to 15-20 minutes :( still aiming to hit 80 tonight regardless, though.

can't decide on professions either. I've been leveling up mining/skinning, but I'm thinking about dropping skinning for either engineering or jewelcrafting once I hit 80 and can cap them out (for the Master of All achievement; JC/engi are all I'm missing).

so not looking forward to Hyjal... that zone is the place where all my alts go to die (though Vash'jir is still far worse). also means I'm going to have to steal 2k gold from my main to buy epic flying. I don't mind going through Northrend at 150% speed, but Cataclysm zones involve way too much travel time and FP's get prohibitively expensive unless I really need an excuse to afk.

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005
I've decided to let my token sit in my bags for now... we'll see which happens first -- another token to get my 4P ele bonus, or my guild starts raiding again and needs me back as resto.

at the moment, I've been saving my tokens for Sha of Fear (trinket), Amber-Shaker (T14 pants), and Sha of Anger.

I think the LFR sha of fear trinket is meh. I'm using the Domination offensive one+Relic and I'm doing very good. Just need to remember to hit that button every 1 minute!

on a side-note, I've been power-leveling my DK this weekend. an out of town roommate + instant queues as DPS have taken me from 70 -> 78.5 since Thursday night. after hitting 78, though, queues are back down to 15-20 minutes :( still aiming to hit 80 tonight regardless, though.
Nice! I did 68-78 questing, then went through a bunch of dungeons to get to 80, so you did yours the other way around.

can't decide on professions either. I've been leveling up mining/skinning, but I'm thinking about dropping skinning for either engineering or jewelcrafting once I hit 80 and can cap them out (for the Master of All achievement; JC/engi are all I'm missing).
That's ALOT of gold spent on ore, but I think JC is good for making money if you like spamming your prospecting macro :p

so not looking forward to Hyjal... that zone is the place where all my alts go to die (though Vash'jir is still far worse). also means I'm going to have to steal 2k gold from my main to buy epic flying. I don't mind going through Northrend at 150% speed, but Cataclysm zones involve way too much travel time and FP's get prohibitively expensive unless I really need an excuse to afk.
You mean where people camp you? I didn't get camped much in hyjal while leveling my shaman but that was me. Don't do dungeons for lvling, they suck compared to quests. Blizz really nerfed the xp rates of dungeons in Cata/Mists.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
You mean where people camp you? I didn't get camped much in hyjal while leveling my shaman but that was me. Don't do dungeons for lvling, they suck compared to quests. Blizz really nerfed the xp rates of dungeons in Cata/Mists.

I'm on a PvE server... I just really struggle to not get bored and log when I'm going through Hyjal (the struggle in Vash'jir is not uninstalling the game entirely). gets a bit better in Deepholm/Uldum.

to make matters worse, I'm out of tv shows to watch >< I'm so desperate that I'm looking through Hulu's free documentaries.