AT World of Warcraft Thread (Mists, Where do you play, General BS and all that)

Page 100 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Rhezuss

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2006
Damn...i'm tempted to pre-buy the expansion...
Dunno why since I don't really play that much.
Yesterday I created a new alliance character on a server I have never played before just to see different people, etc. I'm playing on Kel'Thuzad if anyone is there?

I'll probably play for a month and see how it goes, started a human paladin and having some fun for now...

The expansion seem to be highly priced for what it is though...dunno what to do but I have enough time to decide.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I'm still trying to get Sigils of Power. I'm sitting at 10 Wisdom, haven't gotten a single Power yet. Grrrrr...

Xonim

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
Ahh Tuesdays. I look forward to you once more ... for the first time since when nobody raided on Monday nights because of poor server performance :biggrin:

Spent the last few weeks working on a few last transmog sets ... I'm at a point now where the remaining things I need are blocked by the weekly raid lockouts.

--Belt/boots to complete the Corruptor's Raiment on warlock #2 (SSC)
--Boots (and possibly shield, though I haven't played prot in 2 xpacs) to complete Onslaught on my warrior (BT)
--Gloves/bow to complete Demon Stalker on my hunter (Kara/BT)
--Hat/shoulders/belt/gloves/MH/2H to complete the green destroyer recolor on paladin #2 (SSC/TK/AQ10)

Then all 13 of my 90s will have at least one full transmog armor set. Once I'm done with those I may go back and try to find some better weapon matches for a couple of them -- specifically, my priest t5 has a staff but no 1h/OH, and my druid is in assassination armor (rogue level 70 dungeon set) also with a 2H but no 1h/OH. I took screenshots this past weekend of all my toons / sets, if I remember I'll toss up a link at some point.

chitwood

Golden Member
Aug 21, 2008
--Boots (and possibly shield, though I haven't played prot in 2 xpacs) to complete Onslaught on my warrior (BT)
tier 6 boots drop in Sunwell, not BT

but there might be a offset equivalent in BT anyway, not sure

BF4~GaM3r

Mar 26, 2014
hehe played 4 years until release of MoP > then stopped. Been on BF3 & BF4
Premium-Style for a couple years now.

I may get MoP soon. I do miss my PvP 85's...Gankin' on them lmao.

Xonim

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
Had a rough experience getting Conquest-capped last night. At the end of last week, I was at 40 wins - 30 losses on the season for an average of 18 games played to cap --- pretty bad, I know ... but I'm a rogue (ie, can't carry), and I don't have a normal 2s partner, just /trade people. Anyway, it took 23 games and 4-5 different people to cap last night. Also didn't help that on at least 6-8 of the losses we hit resto shaman / frost mage comps ... the only thing worse than that as a rogue would be a holy paladin and anything.

What is it about people looking for a 2s partner in trade that makes them assume you're going to win out every single game? Went through a disc priest, resto druid, hunter, frost mage, and feral druid before hitting my cap...and one of the wins was just me vs a disc priest because neither partner showed up. It bugs the heck out of me when people get all unhappy about losing so they leave without saying anything, yet have gear unenchanted, ungemmed, and not reforged.

Took only 2 games of RBGs to get a win there, so in the end was able to get the prideful helm. Now have helm/shoulders/chest/daggers from arena and got the neck to drop off celestials a few weeks ago. Have 50 CP left, so if I hit the 2200 cap again next week I'll be picking up the legs.

I absolutely loathe arena, but having the upper hand in gear makes for fun times in random BG's ... between the gear and all the boosted characters being ripe for picking, I had a 17-0 game last week :biggrin:

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
I haven't gotten a single conquest point other than those I've from isle quest.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
I haven't gotten a single conquest point other than those I've from isle quest.
i dont even have those

always did the PVE daily set

finially managed to get some things outta normal this week. PBI, chest token and belt

Last edited:

Sixguns

Platinum Member
May 22, 2011
Boosted my warrior with my xpac one and was very lucky. Almost a whole set of 528 and a very nice 2-hander already. While my mage and hunter cant get crap to drop for them.

Xonim

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
Boosted my warrior with my xpac one and was very lucky. Almost a whole set of 528 and a very nice 2-hander already. While my mage and hunter cant get crap to drop for them.

Funny how that works, isn't it?

I have another problem entirely ... for some reason, I can't seem to get 528 gear without running SoO :whiste:

But seriously, I've taken so many alts through there 1-2-3 times that if it were all on one character I'd probably be fully decked out in LFR gear but I run it 1-2x per and move on to the next one...

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Between timeless/celestial/crafted I went several weeks in SoO with everything just being vendored. Got the weapon and a minor offhand upgrade last week though.

Xonim

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
I've seen it mentioned a few times that they might try to address the duplicate loot bit in WoD. I know from celestials I've gotten tier gloves on my shaman 3 times in 4-5 weeks.

Taking it one step further, as someone with an alt problem, I wouldn't mind them doing some sort of check to see if you own higher ilvl pieces for a particular slot before awarding you crap you don't need when that particular boss drops things you do actually need. For example, if I have 553 tier gloves upgraded to 561, even with a substandard secondary stat allocation, there's absolutely zero chance I would replace those with ilvl 528 gloves. If a boss drops gloves, a ring, trinket, etc that I could use, why not give me that instead of stuff I'm going to vendor/DE? That would definitely help gear up alts faster, which seems to be something they're trying to do, considering how Timeless Isle works.

If that's too much, maybe slightly reduce the chance to get loot from LFR bosses, but then open a dialog where you're given a choice between 2 items ------- not necessarily the boss's entire relevant loot table, but at least two pieces. For example, Garrosh drops an offhand, helm, and trinket for casters, as well as the whatever-you-want tier token. Last week I won loot on my extra roll, but it was the offhand. Well great, except I have the Sha staff -- which is perfect stat allocation for a destro lock -- so the off-hand is useless. Meanwhile, my helm is a single-stat 496 timeless piece and my trinket is a 496 timeless piece.....I would've rather had literally anything else off his loot table.

Anyway, at least the toon I'm running SoO on now (and will probably be my main in WoD) is an enchanter, so I'm making bank with those Sha Crystals.

Edit: Unrelated, had quite the BT experience last night. Been running on my hunter for the Illidan bow to match my Demon Stalker transmog. Two bosses in and I knew it would drop. That instance lock had the WEIRDEST loot table I've ever seen out of that place, and I have a set of glaives. I'd never seen loot like that, and I'd never seen the bow previously either, so I just knew it would drop. Sure enough it did. Super pumped, my hunter looks awesome now. That is all.

Last edited:

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
LFR only really annoys me when I go the whole week without a single drop. Happened to me on my hunter the second week I was able to do SoO. Nothing but gold, including bonus rolls and celestials/Ordos.

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
Man, this lucky coin business really pisses people off. It's a free shot a loot, "wah I got gold again for the 20ths time in a row" or "wah I got the same item again".

You know what, you're right. Take away the coins.

If they tweak the system enough, you will have a better chance to get something you need off the coin roll than from the boss...

Xonim

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
Man, this lucky coin business really pisses people off. It's a free shot a loot, "wah I got gold again for the 20ths time in a row" or "wah I got the same item again".

You know what, you're right. Take away the coins.

If they tweak the system enough, you will have a better chance to get something you need off the coin roll than from the boss...

Consider what they've done as a whole -- don't be so narrow-minded to look at JUST the lucky coins. In previous expansions, you could get a halfways-decent set of gear from a combination of 5-man heroic drops and JP. VP gear was on the same level as current-tier raid gear. For halfways-decent at this point of MoP, I'm going to draw the line at item level 502, which is equal to full LFR ToT gear. Looking at past expansions, that line actually should be up as high as 522 (10-man ToT), but my argument still holds at 502. Cataclysm had the Caverns of Time heroics. In WotLK, Forge of Souls / Pit of Sauron / Halls of Reflection dropped gear equal to Ulduar-10. TBC had the Sunwell vendors.

What can you obtain from heroic 5-mans and JP in MoP? 3-5 pieces of ilvl 496 gear from JP (2 of which are rings). Maybe 3-5 pieces of 489 from JP. 463 drops from heroics and to fill in the slots where 489/496 isn't available. Don't like it? Have some RNG! Hope for relevant armor types from the Timeless Isle. But wait? Add some more RNG because not all 496 pieces are created equal. Even if you get lucky with Timeless Isle drops (and further lucky with getting double-stat pieces instead of single-stat pieces), you still cannot hit ilvl 502 without VP gear -- which BTW, is capped at 1k/week. Your choice of 16 ilvls total worth of upgrades on your crappy 496 gear or an avg of 1 piece of 522 valor gear / week.

The problem isn't with coins themselves, the problem is they've transitioned to relying solely on the coins and other various RNG to get characters up to what, at this stage, is a passable DPS. There is no set of 5-mans to run once/day to collect their "dungeon set" type armor. You run LFR, burn your 3 coins, and farm timeless isle to subject yourself to more RNG until raid reset.

IMO, they either need to make improvements to the coin system or go back to making heroics and JP relevant again as they were in past expansions. This in-between crap is garbage for anyone with multiple characters.

Last edited:

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
Consider what they've done as a whole -- don't be so narrow-minded to look at JUST the lucky coins. In previous expansions, you could get a halfways-decent set of gear from a combination of 5-man heroic drops and JP. VP gear was on the same level as current-tier raid gear. For halfways-decent at this point of MoP, I'm going to draw the line at item level 502, which is equal to full LFR ToT gear. Looking at past expansions, that line actually should be up as high as 522 (10-man ToT), but my argument still holds at 502. Cataclysm had the Caverns of Time heroics. In WotLK, Forge of Souls / Pit of Sauron / Halls of Reflection dropped gear equal to Ulduar-10. TBC had the Sunwell vendors.

What can you obtain from heroic 5-mans and JP in MoP? 3-5 pieces of ilvl 496 gear from JP (2 of which are rings). Maybe 3-5 pieces of 489 from JP. 463 drops from heroics and to fill in the slots where 489/496 isn't available. Don't like it? Have some RNG! Hope for relevant armor types from the Timeless Isle. But wait? Add some more RNG because not all 496 pieces are created equal. Even if you get lucky with Timeless Isle drops (and further lucky with getting double-stat pieces instead of single-stat pieces), you still cannot hit ilvl 502 without VP gear -- which BTW, is capped at 1k/week. Your choice of 16 ilvls total worth of upgrades on your crappy 496 gear or an avg of 1 piece of 522 valor gear / week.

The problem isn't with coins themselves, the problem is they've transitioned to relying solely on the coins and other various RNG to get characters up to what, at this stage, is a passable DPS. There is no set of 5-mans to run once/day to collect their "dungeon set" type armor. You run LFR, burn your 3 coins, and farm timeless isle to subject yourself to more RNG until raid reset.

IMO, they either need to make improvements to the coin system or go back to making heroics and JP relevant again as they were in past expansions. This in-between crap is garbage for anyone with multiple characters.
I have considered the whole, I was just replying about coins... LFR/Flex/previous tier raids are where you gear up now. This is a FAR better design because you get raid gear through raiding (not 5-mans or JP which you can also cap outside raids). By the time you're geared for current tier you have at least run some raids.

It's never been easier to gear up than right now.

Boosted my warrior with my xpac one and was very lucky. Almost a whole set of 528 and a very nice 2-hander already.
That's really good RNG and geared in a week or so. Really bad RNG and it'll take about 3 weeks.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
so its taken me a cpl months to get really back into this. pushing right buttons at the right time and whatnot and im not sure if everyone else is that bad or just really stupid

this shit isnt hard yet i can out DPS people who have 20 ilvls on me
and good got some of the gemming choices ive seen as well as talents just makes me cringe

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
the coins are fine and i hope they stay
they just need to make them smarter, so you cant Coin the same thing you just won.

ideally if you already have the item it should not be coinable at all but that may be wishful thinking

Xonim

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
so its taken me a cpl months to get really back into this. pushing right buttons at the right time and whatnot and im not sure if everyone else is that bad or just really stupid

this shit isnt hard yet i can out DPS people who have 20 ilvls on me
and good got some of the gemming choices ive seen as well as talents just makes me cringe

Some groups are TRULY awful. My boosted warlock is up to ilvl 520, have looted all SoO bosses this week except Immersius (no big deal, already have the trinket). Figured I'd queue up and get him anyway. I was the only dps over 100k -- I was at 150k-ish going into the first split, which is where we wiped. The next highest? 80k.

We had 13 of our 17 dps under 60k, plus both tanks. It was horrifying. Needless to say, I dropped group immediately.

Edit: When they first announced the boosts, didn't they say there would be some sort of "learn your class" tutorial? I didn't have to go through one. Is it because I already had a 90 warlock otherwise? Or as long as you have ANY 90 you don't have to do it? Or did they not even put it in?

Gryz

Golden Member
Aug 28, 2010
Some groups are TRULY awful. .... I was the only dps over 100k .... We had 13 of our 17 dps under 60k, plus both tanks. It was horrifying. Needless to say, I dropped group immediately.
You must be the most awesome player evar to exist.

If you knew anything about the game, then you'd knew that:

1) Dps per boss heavily depends on the class you play. Different bosses are good for some classes, and bad for some other classes.

2) Especially Immerseus is a real dps-killer for some classes. I now do on average over 300k on some bosses. Single-target bosses here, no AoE. Sha of Pride, Iron Juggernaut, Malkorok. Yet on Immerseus I have never done over 150k. And sometimes I'm lucky to get just over 100k. Am I a bad player ? No. Rogues just can't do any decent kind of rotation on Immersues. The fight sucks for us.

3) Immerseus doesn't matter. Every group can kill it. It doesn't matter what dps people do. If you want to know if a group is good, wait until you've seen at least Protectors and No'Rushen.

4) Warlocks are overpowered in PvE dps. And easy to play. Congratulations for picking the eazymode class.

5) People with only ilvl520 gear shouldn't judge others for being bad. I had ilvl520+ 3 days after I dinged (on my first character). It's easy to gear up in MoP 5.4. If you have ilvl520 gear then either: a) you just dinged this week, and thus should wait before you make any conclusions about other players, or: b) you dinged weeks ago, and clearly you weren't smart enough to figure out how to gear up your character quickly.

6) Criticizing LFR-players is the easiest thing to do. If you are so good, what are you doing in LFR ?

Xonim

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
1) Dps per boss heavily depends on the class you play. Different bosses are good for some classes, and bad for some other classes.

I have a 90 of each class plus an extra warlock/paladin. I understand that dps fluctuates per fight, and I understand the Immersius mechanics suck for melee. However, there are zero excuses to not be over 60k going into the first split on ANY class on that fight. We only made it to the first split before the wipe.

2) Especially Immerseus is a real dps-killer for some classes. I now do on average over 300k on some bosses. Single-target bosses here, no AoE. Sha of Pride, Iron Juggernaut, Malkorok. Yet on Immerseus I have never done over 150k. And sometimes I'm lucky to get just over 100k. Am I a bad player ? No. Rogues just can't do any decent kind of rotation on Immersues. The fight sucks for us.

See answer above. Going into the first split, 60k shouldn't be too much to ask for the ilvl to get into SoO. I can do 60k on my 490ish elemental shaman in resto gear.

3) Immerseus doesn't matter. Every group can kill it. It doesn't matter what dps people do. If you want to know if a group is good, wait until you've seen at least Protectors and No'Rushen.

Did you read my post? We wiped. On the first split. Apparently not.

4) Warlocks are overpowered in PvE dps. And easy to play. Congratulations for picking the eazymode class.

My highest ilvl is a rogue, followed by a holy paladin and a mage. I'd hardly call the warlock my main. Congratulations on picking the fastest way to be a douche.

5) People with only ilvl520 gear shouldn't judge others for being bad. I had ilvl520+ 3 days after I dinged (on my first character). It's easy to gear up in MoP 5.4. If you have ilvl520 gear then either: a) you just dinged this week, and thus should wait before you make any conclusions about other players, or: b) you dinged weeks ago, and clearly you weren't smart enough to figure out how to gear up your character quickly.

Did you miss the part about this toon being a boost? I guess anyone who used a boost w/ the preorder must not have other characters. But hey, if 8+ years of playing WoW isn't long enough for me to judge other players, I'll wait some more if it pleases you.

6) Criticizing LFR-players is the easiest thing to do. If you are so good, what are you doing in LFR ?

Because I like playing alts. I also have things to do. Sure I play a lot, but I play a lot on my own schedule. I didn't realize that not planning my life around a video game was a crime.