At what point will the "emergency" powers of the Patriot Act be repealed?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Scotteq

Diamond Member
Apr 10, 2008
Heh. The only choice that the repub minority in the Senate allowed Dems was all or nothing- my way or the highway-

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/02/25/politics/main6241401.shtml

But the truth means nothing to Righties. Confronted with it, they just put more sandbags on the ol' bunker... dig in a little deeper, rave bitterly about the self-imposed darkness...

And blame somebody else, attack, particularly anybody who had the temerity to question what they believe in so strongly, so irrationally...

*ahem*

http://educate-yourself.org/cn/patriotact20012006senatevote.shtml

FOLLOWS: A LISTING OF THE SENATORS WHO VOTED IN FAVOR OF EXTENDING THE PATRIOT ACT

PLEASE TAKE NOTE OF THE NUMBER - AND THE NAMES - OF DEMOCRATS WHO VOTED ALONGSIDE THEIR REPUBLICAN COUNTERPARTS IN FAVOR OF EXTENDING THIS HAPPY LITTLE BIT OF LEGISLATION.

PLEASE FURTHER NOTE IT WAS NOT CONSIDERED IMPORTANT ENOUGH TO DRAFT AND EXPEND THE POLITICAL CAPITAL TO PASS THE VERY PROTECTIONS DEMOCRATS HAVE BEEN SAYING THEY WOULD PROVIDE US. THAT THIS ACT HAS - ONCE AGAIN - PASSED THE DEMOCRATICALLY CONTROLLED COMMITTEE WITH NO CHANGES. AND THAT IT WILL NOW PROCEED TO BOTH HOUSES TO BE EXTENDED FOR ANOTHER FOUR YEARS.

THEN TAKE A MOMENT TO CONSIDER JUST HOW BAD YOU ARE BEING FUCKED BY THE VERY PEOPLE YOU ARE WORKING SO HARD TO SUPPORT.

Alexander (R-TN)
Allard (R-CO)
Allen (R-VA)
Baucus (D-MT)
Bayh (D-IN)
Bennett (R-UT)
Biden (D-DE)
Bond (R-MO)
Boxer (D-CA)
Brownback (R-KS)
Bunning (R-KY)
Burns (R-MT)
Burr (R-NC)
Cantwell (D-WA)
Carper (D-DE)
Chafee (R-RI)
Chambliss (R-GA)
Clinton (D-NY)
Coburn (R-OK)
Cochran (R-MS)
Coleman (R-MN)
Collins (R-ME)
Conrad (D-ND)
Cornyn (R-TX)
Craig (R-ID)
Crapo (R-ID)
Dayton (D-MN)
DeMint (R-SC)
DeWine (R-OH)
Dodd (D-CT)
Dole (R-NC)
Domenici (R-NM)
Dorgan (D-ND)
Durbin (D-IL)

Ensign (R-NV)
Enzi (R-WY)
Feinstein (D-CA)
Frist (R-TN)
Graham (R-SC)
Grassley (R-IA)
Gregg (R-NH)
Hagel (R-NE)
Hatch (R-UT)
Hutchison (R-TX)
Inhofe (R-OK)
Isakson (R-GA)
Johnson (D-SD)
Kennedy (D-MA)
Kerry (D-MA)
Kohl (D-WI)

Kyl (R-AZ)
Landrieu (D-LA)
Lautenberg (D-NJ)
Lieberman (D-CT)
Lincoln (D-AR)

Lott (R-MS)
Lugar (R-IN)
Martinez (R-FL)
McCain (R-AZ)
McConnell (R-KY)
Menendez (D-NJ)
Mikulski (D-MD)

Murkowski (R-AK)
Nelson (D-FL)
Nelson (D-NE)
Obama (D-IL)
Pryor (D-AR)
Reed (D-RI)
Reid (D-NV)

Roberts (R-KS)
Rockefeller (D-WV)
Salazar (D-CO)

Santorum (R-PA)
Sarbanes (D-MD)
Schumer (D-NY)

Sessions (R-AL)
Shelby (R-AL)
Smith (R-OR)
Snowe (R-ME)
Specter (R-PA)
Stabenow (D-MI)
Stevens (R-AK)
Sununu (R-NH)
Talent (R-MO)
Thomas (R-WY)
Thune (R-SD)
Vitter (R-LA)
Voinovich (R-OH)
Warner (R-VA)

Last edited:

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Heh. The only choice that the repub minority in the Senate allowed Dems was all or nothing- my way or the highway-

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/02/25/politics/main6241401.shtml

But the truth means nothing to Righties. Confronted with it, they just put more sandbags on the ol' bunker... dig in a little deeper, rave bitterly about the self-imposed darkness...

And blame somebody else, attack, particularly anybody who had the temerity to question what they believe in so strongly, so irrationally...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwIQmWSh6ds

Please ignore the far right-wing, racist, homophobic slant.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
You forget that the deliberations wrt the patriot act coincided with the exploits of the clueless underwear bomber, which repubs played the way Eric Clapton plays the guitar.

Fear! Fear! Fee-yarrghhhh!

The massive exploitation of 9/11 hasn't worn off yet. Repubs use it the way they "waved the bloody shirt" in the aftermath of the Civil War.

And if you haven't realized that repubs have abused the filibuster in new and unprecedented ways, you haven't been paying attention. It's as if they intend to paralyze the govt, blame Dems for inaction. And damned if it's not working for them.

Cry more.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Jhhhhnhnhnhnn hasn't bothered to come back to this thread. Truth clearly means nothing to him. To him, the problem is righties. What a hack.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Jhhhhnhnhnhnn hasn't bothered to come back to this thread. Truth clearly means nothing to him. To him, the problem is righties. What a hack.

I work for a living, and don't post from there. Imagine that.

Dems voted to extend the patriot act? imagine that, too- why, they're not "soft on terrar!" at all, never were.

If they'd allowed the act to expire, the usual ravers would have been tarring them with that brush, instead...

So, uhh, which way do you want it, guys? No Patriot Act, or the act as is? That's the choice repubs allowed, something anybody with half a brain needs to realize.

But whatever Dems do, they're wrong, right? And will be attacked, regardless of the position the attackers held prior to the Dems doing anything at all. I seem to recall a huge amount of Righties raving in support of the act when it was passed, calling for Saddam's head on a plate, spreading terrar! & WMD FUD... shucks, right here on this very forum, too...

Musta been those other right wing nutjobs, right?

drebo

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
She didn't apologize, she let him have it as if he were GWB. Love? Well maybe a little lust. :D

Her Jewish nose is too much for me.

That said, she's right. Obama's a two-faced, lying son of a bitch.

He needs to be brought up on high treason charges and hung from that tree over there.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
Jhhnn, so they put their political careers ahead of our lives and rights. Tell me why I should vote for them again? You really aren't making a case FOR the Dems as much as you are AGAINST the Dems.

drebo

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
So, uhh, which way do you want it, guys? No Patriot Act, or the act as is? That's the choice repubs allowed, something anybody with half a brain needs to realize.

No Patriot Act, please.

The only thing it does is make it easier for the gubment to spy on and control its own citizens. You're a fucking idiot if you think it's useful (or wanted) for anything else.

He who gives up his liberties for the illusion of safety deserves no liberty.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
so what can't you do today that you could do prior??

Meet family at the gate in the airport
Not get full body scanned
Carry on shampoo in normal quantities
Not be subject to warrantless wiretaps
Not be subject to unreasonable search and seizure
Not be on "No Fly" lists because you share a name with someone
and so on...

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
Dems voted to extend the patriot act? imagine that, too- why, they're not "soft on terrar!" at all, never were.

So in other words, they put their political livelihoods above what they believe in and let the Republicans slap them around and have their way. Got it. I'm so glad that we have Democrats in DC "protecting" us from the "evil" Republicans.

Hope! Change! -- indeed.

But whatever Dems do, they're wrong, right?

Oh, sort of like every one of your posts paints the Republicans as being wrong, no matter what they do?

Last edited:

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
So in other words, they put their political livelihoods above what they believe in and let the Republicans slap them around and have their way. Got it. I'm so glad that we have Democrats in DC "protecting" us from the "evil" Republicans.

Just think where we might be if they hadn't ducked in 2004, if Repubs had taken 60 seats in the Senate.

Fear is repubs stock in trade, and they spread plenty of it around in the aftermath of 9/11. It still works, too. Here's Boehner's spin wrt the clueless underwear bomber-

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-brief...-accuses-obama-of-trying-to-be-soft-on-terror

Echoed by every right wing pundit and talking head who could find a microphone...

Oh, sort of like every one of your posts paints the Republicans as being wrong, no matter what they do?

Tell me what they did right while they were in power, other than declaring Palmyra atoll to be a wildlife refuge...

Try it- I'm interested.

Last edited:

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
Jhhnn, you aren't helping the dems case as I said. They have no problem screwing us to stay in office. Instead of taking their fight to the people with their "grassroots"(lol) organizations and educating the masses they decide it's better for THEM(see them not US) to continue passing the Patriot Act. Yeah you're a moron.

And before you try to argue against you being a moron, here's the definition

mo·ron   
[mawr-on, mohr-] Show IPA
–noun
a person who is notably stupid or lacking in good judgment.

The bolded pertains to you.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Jhhnn, you aren't helping the dems case as I said. They have no problem screwing us to stay in office. Instead of taking their fight to the people with their "grassroots"(lol) organizations and educating the masses they decide it's better for THEM(see them not US) to continue passing the Patriot Act. Yeah you're a moron.

And before you try to argue against you being a moron, here's the definition

mo·ron   
[mawr-on, mohr-] Show IPA
–noun
a person who is notably stupid or lacking in good judgment.

The bolded pertains to you.

Heh. Clearly, you really have nothing to say, other than to spew vitriol against Dems.

Imagine an America with 60+ Republican Senators, a strong majority in the HOR, and one of their stooges in the Oval Office...

They had to beat down Dems to pass the patriot act in the first place, then take 'em hostage to maintain it in its original form.

What you take offense to, the patriot act, wouldn't be a pimple on the ass of what they'd do to civil liberties in this country, and anybody with enough sense to pour piss out of a boot needs to realize that... The illegal domestic spying undertaken by the Bush Admin wouldn't be illegal, for starters.

This isn't your Grandfather's Republican Party, at all.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
You and your party are spineless worms. A laughing stock. Crawl back under a rock, you're not doing anybody any favors by being in power.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
I seem to recall a huge amount of Righties raving in support of the act when it was passed, calling for Saddam's head on a plate, spreading terrar! & WMD FUD... shucks, right here on this very forum, too...

And you joined them to protect Obama's ass eh? Nice.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
And you joined them to protect Obama's ass eh? Nice.

Not at all. Researching my posts thru the past, you'd see that I was and remain opposed to the patriot act. That hasn't changed.

OTOH, Dems need to pick their battles, and generally don't do that well at all, except in this instance. The Repub Terrar! Boogeyman will be with us for a long time, unfortunately, and it's not in Dems' interests to give them any excuses to drag it out of the closet and wave it around.

Honest efforts have been made to modify the act, to make it less egregious, and have been rejected by Repubs. It's just that simple. If we want such changes to occur, criticizing the people who try to make them serves no honest purpose. Only when Repubs' constituencies indicate very strongly that they want such changes (or when it just quits working) will their leadership respond favorably. It's been entirely too good a club for Repubs to lay it down voluntarily. "Tough on Terrar!" is still a good seller, an emotional hotspot, even though it's just another empty Repub talking point. They invoke fear, and then exploit it, quite successfully. Better to deny them the opportunity than to fight it, simply because the electorate isn't ready to be rational about it, at all. Yep- people base their voting preferences on emotional responses invoked in the reptilian part of their brains, and raving about the Terrarist! Threat! accomplishes that beautifully. When it comes to exploitation of fearmongering, Repubs are the masters of the craft.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
What you seem to be missing is that it's getting worse and it isn't the republicans. Sure I beat them up back then but there is new leadership. Same old.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
What you seem to be missing is that it's getting worse and it isn't the republicans. Sure I beat them up back then but there is new leadership. Same old.

Maybe you'd care to explain how staying the same is "getting worse".

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
Heh. Clearly, you really have nothing to say, other than to spew vitriol against Dems.

Imagine an America with 60+ Republican Senators, a strong majority in the HOR, and one of their stooges in the Oval Office...

They had to beat down Dems to pass the patriot act in the first place, then take 'em hostage to maintain it in its original form.

What you take offense to, the patriot act, wouldn't be a pimple on the ass of what they'd do to civil liberties in this country, and anybody with enough sense to pour piss out of a boot needs to realize that... The illegal domestic spying undertaken by the Bush Admin wouldn't be illegal, for starters.

This isn't your Grandfather's Republican Party, at all.

I don't support the Republican Party, but no one is in here trying to defend them for voting in the Patriot Act. You're trying to defend Dems for doing so, hence I'm ripping on you and Dems. See YOU have nothing to talk about, except point the finger at Republicans. I at least am staying on subject.