At what age should I let my kids watch Bond movies? EDIT: and Raiders of the Lost Ark

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DT4K

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2002
Originally posted by: Munchies
Really go for it. I watched all the bond movies by time i was 9 and the only thing that happened? I got a cap gun and played robbers with the neigbors, now at 16 I like to hunt :)

I mean if that doesn;t sound good to you then its all up to you.

Well, I guess running around playing secret agent couldn't be much worse than having lightsaber fights with his 6 and 3 year old sisters. Actually, my 3 yr old is really good with the lightsaber. She doesn't hold anything back.

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
You should be making your wife watch them while the kid is in the womb

Encryptic

Diamond Member
May 21, 2003
Originally posted by: Shanti
Originally posted by: Munchies
Really go for it. I watched all the bond movies by time i was 9 and the only thing that happened? I got a cap gun and played robbers with the neigbors, now at 16 I like to hunt :)

I mean if that doesn;t sound good to you then its all up to you.

Well, I guess running around playing secret agent couldn't be much worse than having lightsaber fights with his 6 and 3 year old sisters. Actually, my 3 yr old is really good with the lightsaber. She doesn't hold anything back.

I can just see the headlines now: "3 year old charged with lightsaber rampage through preschool". :Q :D

Rob9874

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 1999
I watched them around that age. That's when you think they're cool. I never got the sexual references, nor was I interested at that age. You just like to see the cool gadgets and action scenes.

PanzerIV

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2002
Shanti, I think the older ones with Sean Connery and Roger Moore were pretty tame in comparison to something like The Terminator or the newer, more explicit Bond films. I have let my children watch violent movies but have stressed over and over that they are pretend and the actor gets up after the director yells "cut!." Also, we've explained how NOT to behave in the real world in comparison to movies.

So you like Bond, Raiders of the Ark and Battlefield 1942...are you sure we're not long lost brothers? :D

EngenZerO

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2001
now dude. I have been watching bond movies since I was three. I turned out almost normal, ;).

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
Nothing wrong with gunfire, people dying, falling off buildings and whatnot.. Nor even with that guy in Octopussy with the buzzsaw yo-yo. However, you do realize the world will end if your kid even gets a glimpse of teh boobies..

DT4K

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2002
Originally posted by: SweetSweetLeroyBrown
You have offspring?

Please, someone, alert child protective services! :|
Why don't you go back to the politics forum where you belong.
I'm sure they are missing your personal attacks and lack of intelligent or logical argument.

DT4K

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2002
Originally posted by: PanzerIV
Shanti, I think the older ones with Sean Connery and Roger Moore were pretty tame in comparison to something like The Terminator or the newer, more explicit Bond films. I have let my children watch violent movies but have stressed over and over that they are pretend and the actor gets up after the director yells "cut!." Also, we've explained how NOT to behave in the real world in comparison to movies.

So you like Bond, Raiders of the Ark and Battlefield 1942...are you sure we're not long lost brothers? :D

Doesn't every guy like that stuff?

I couldn't remember when Raiders was released so I looked it up. 1981, which means I was 10 when I saw it. I think I was old enough. The only thing I remember being really violent was the guy getting chopped up by the plane propeller.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
And so I wonder, how many who are giving advice actually have children....

Quixfire

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2001
My son is eight and we have watch them for a couple of years. I have always told him the movies are pretend and that nobody is really is hurt. We also talk about the sex and romance in the movies so he understand that is pretend as well.

nativesunshine

Diamond Member
Jan 6, 2003
I saw Raiders of the Lost Ark when I was like....6 or something.

But I think that was b/c my dad owned a video store back then and weekend mornings I'd go in with my mom and sit in one of the viewing rooms watching movies while she made us breakfast. Good times...I could watch any movie i wanted and had the whole room to myself. Many great days watching all my disney movies. w00t!

SaltBoy

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2001
I remember seeing Raiders when I was 6. I thought the Nazis' faces melting at the end was one of the coolest things I'd ever seen. Raiders SHOULD be PG-13, but the PG-13 rating didn't exist then. The movie WAS PG.

Heck, Ben-Hur should be PG-13; The chariot race was pretty brutal.

ScottyB

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2002
As soon as they can pay attention to the TV. I have been watching R-rated movies since I was 4 or 5.

DT4K

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2002
After hearing that a bunch of you guys watched these movies at a young age, I've made my decision.

I'm waiting until he's 18. ;)

DanTMWTMP

Lifer
Oct 7, 2001
After hearing that a bunch of you guys watched these movies at a young age, I've made my decision.

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Encryptic

Diamond Member
May 21, 2003

/writhing futilely in straitjacket in his padded cell

But...but...I swear I turned out normally!

;)