At what age are you the fittest?

Dirigible

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2006
It depends on what you mean by "top of your physicality." In many ways, that'd be in your 20's. There's a reason athletes in major pro sports (NBA, NFL, etc.) don't make it much past 30. Then again, endurance athletes tend to be older.

NanoStuff

Banned
Mar 23, 2006
Optimum function starts to decrease considerably past 30. Not just athletic ability but pretty much all functions. An ideal age would be somewhere between 20 and 25.

msparish

Aug 27, 2003
Originally posted by: Dirigible
It depends on what you mean by "top of your physicality." In many ways, that'd be in your 20's. There's a reason athletes in major pro sports (NBA, NFL, etc.) don't make it much past 30. Then again, endurance athletes tend to be older.

As an example, in the NBA players tend to be the most athletic in their younger to mid twenties. However, they are generally in their "prime" from about 27-30 or so--although they aren't quite as explosive, they have continued to refine their basketball skills. Past 30, players who relied solely on their athleticism are pretty much done.

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
I'd say around 22. I'm 25 now and I notice that I don't recover as quickly from workouts as I used to. Everybody's physiology is a little bit different though.

Athletes typically don't peak until later because experience is also important in sports.

bignateyk

Lifer
Apr 22, 2002
It gets better every year for me... thats because I keep improving my nutrition and exercise habits. Im sure it will start to decrease after 30's though (im 23 now)

Nov 3, 2004
Originally posted by: fanbottle
Originally posted by: zerocool1
endurance high school,
strength now

and what do you mean by now

strength takes time to build up. Most of the huge, bulked guys you see at the gym are older guys. Generally speaking. And by older I mean past their 20s.

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
I was most fit when I was about 16-18. I came very close to that a few years ago when I was 34 and in the Army, and I'm getting close again now with all the time I've been spending at the gym lately.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
High school years. Rugby, volleyball and track& field training got me really fit. And I not even big on sports like my brother. It's been downhill ever since.

D1gger

Diamond Member
Oct 3, 2004
For me it was 21. I was just finishing university and used a bike to compute and for recreational racing. As soon as I started working for a living, I just didn't have the time to be as physically active. By the time I was 35 I was a mess and it was only in the last year (I am now 48) or so that I have put more of my energy into fitness and have got my weight back down to within 10% of my 21 year old weight.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
I'm almost 30 and my strength has never been better. Several friends that are my age report the same.

What does suck is that you tweak muscles a hell of a lot easier now than we did 10 years ago. Plus you wake up feeling a hell of a lot more sore the next day than we did then too.

My lungs are in great shape and I can run up and down a basketball court for hours without problems. I haven't lost anything *yet*, but I certainly pay more for the punishment the next day.

illusion88

Lifer
Oct 2, 2001
Originally posted by: zerocool1
endurance high school,
strength now

High School is when you are the most fit for Endurance? Then why do you see 40 year olds winning Marathons and Triathlons? Endurance takes time to build as well. Your heart gets conditioned just like any muscle. It grows in strength and size. Your Coronary Arteries will increase in size. Unless you were running since you started walking, this won't happen by High School age.