AT TF2 Fight Night: **TONIGHT AT 9:00 PM EASTERN**

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ViviTheMage

Lifer
Dec 12, 2002
madgenius.com
Originally posted by: ivan2
something wrong with the AT server, it gives me an error saying server is using a different class table.

probably more updates...there seem to be updates at least once a week now!

I'll update it quick.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Seeing as it's already Tuesday, we need to have the night set already cus some people need ample time to plan ahead since it looks like it might be this Saturday.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: zerocool84
Seeing as it's already Tuesday, we need to have the night set already cus some people need ample time to plan ahead since it looks like it might be this Saturday.

Yeah, I did that Monday morning. It was also entered onto the Steam AT TF2 group event page on Monday morning.

:beer:

KT

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Hmm, unfortunately I may be a tad late on Saturday. My Mom wants to have the Mom's Day festivities on Saturday instead of Sunday. :frown:

KT

Frodolives

Platinum Member
Nov 28, 2001
I just joined the group, and I will try and support events like this by showing up. If this event fails we'll blame Keith's mom!

ps- rocadelpunk, I'm sure this group can keep it fun and friendly. What classes are you trying? Medic is a great class for a new player. An extra medic is almost always welcome, even though experience will make a difference.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Originally posted by: KeithTalent
Originally posted by: zerocool84

Yeah, I did that Monday morning. It was also entered onto the Steam AT TF2 group event page on Monday morning.

:beer:

KT

Opps guess I missed it. I'll definitely be there. I'm going to make sure I'm not going out this weekend. Alcohol is too expensive at bars.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
I don't mind playing the Medic, but the Pyro is such fun. Bought it the 2nd day of the $9.99 special. Haven't played every day, but I played a lot. The best I've done so far was sadly on a server where they had voted to play melee only. I wasn't paying attention to them typing "bighead melee only please!" and was overjoyed that I got 7 kills in a row. I then read it and my accomplishment went out the window :(

I have played every class a little bit, Pyro is my favorite, Heavy is good but hard for a n00b. I do okay with the Scout. I suck really really, really! bad with the Demoman and I suck almost as bad with the Solider. There's some decent how to play [class] videos on Youtube. I watched a 9 minute one on the Pyro and it helped me a lot. Apparently running at a dude while constantly trying to flame him to death isn't the best idea.

I'm still not that good of a player, but I will be there on the 9th and I WILL KILL AT LEAST SOMEBODY! Got a "triple double" the other night. 10+ kills 10+ deaths and 10+ assists. Not sure the 10+ deaths is something to brag about though lol.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
I got 5 backstabs in a row.........damn I got lucky and I suck as Spy but I'm practicing a lot. It seems it's the hardest class to master but so damn rewarding.

marmasatt

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2003

I have played every class a little bit, Pyro is my favorite, Heavy is good but hard for a n00b. I do okay with the Scout. I suck really really, really! bad with the Demoman and I suck almost as bad with the Solider. There's some decent how to play [class] videos on Youtube. I watched a 9 minute one on the Pyro and it helped me a lot. Apparently running at a dude while constantly trying to flame him to death isn't the best idea

Yeah, I'd say Medic/Pyro are the easiest to learn for noobs. Engy and Soldier are probably easy to play, but will take a learning curve to be better at.

I've been playing for 9 months and I still can't play Sniper or Spy. I guess it's something I just need to give more time.

You will suck at Demo at first but soon after you will find how much fun it is to sucker someone in on a sticky ambush or to take out the dreaded sentry everyone has been getting killed by for the last 10 minutes :D

ivan2

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2000
www.heatware.com
yup pyro is a the class i like and generally considered noob class. soldiers were very good at launch, but now many people have learned demo their dominance has decreased a little, but still the most versatile class and my class of choice if I am going to take someone out. medics are pretty easy, I don't play it extensively but I still considered myself decent. prob because of their role and relies on teammates. my suggestion to medics are that the unlocked gun is a must, if there's any unlocked weapon that is much better than the original, the medic gun is one.

regarding demo i am a pallet user myself and they are good enough to the point that u can easily take out a heavy with them. sticky demos are a bitch to take out until you learned their pattern and surprise them.

QueBert, yup, the key to win pyro vs pyro is to run backwards, lol

natethegreat

Dec 5, 2004
I'll show up Saturday night as well. Just got the orange-box during the 9.99 deal and I havn't been able to stop playing TF2 since.

I play Pyro, Engi, Soldier, and Medic mostly. I love getting a sentry in just the right spot, or bonesawing a spy as they try to sneak up on you:evil:

Sniper, Scout, Demo, and Spy seem to have a higher learning curve. I am not very comfortable with those classes.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I've been playing Sniper quite a bit recently and I am definitely getting better (had an 11 headshot life the other day). I still think Medic is my best, followed by Pyro, then Demo and Engineer are about equal.

After I get good with Sniper I think I'll move on to spy, which is still, by far, my worst class. I think I'm just too jittery and impatient when I play Spy, I need to relax more and the skills will come, at least I hope that is what happens.

Oh and I switched my plans with Mom, so I'll be there on time. I told her I need to play a game on Saturday with a bunch of relative strangers online and she understood.

KT

Frodolives

Platinum Member
Nov 28, 2001
Originally posted by: natethegreat
I play Pyro, Engi, Soldier, and Medic mostly. I love getting a sentry in just the right spot, or bonesawing a spy as they try to sneak up on you:evil:

Sniper, Scout, Demo, and Spy seem to have a higher learning curve. I am not very comfortable with those classes.

I play exactly the same classes as you, except that I also favor heavy on certain maps. As I'm sure you and a lot of us do, I base my choice on what is needed for the current balance of teammates, and sometimes change frequently during a round.

Aside from medic, demo was about my earliest class, and apparently I was performing it pretty well, but just became interested in other classes and somewhere along the line I've started sucking at demo lol.

In short though, for the sake of anynewer players I will reemphasize that what's important is doing what serves the team in a particular situation. If you aren't sure just ask! "What class do we need now?" So it's great to be versed in at least a few classes, and any player worth his salt still serves as medic now and then rather than see his team go short on them, when nobody else steps up to do it.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: Frodolives
Originally posted by: natethegreat

I play exactly the same classes as you, except that I also favor heavy on certain maps. As I'm sure you and a lot of us do, I base my choice on what is needed for the current balance of teammates, and sometimes change frequently during a round.

Aside from medic, demo was about my earliest class, and apparently I was performing it pretty well, but just became interested in other classes and somewhere along the line I've started sucking at demo lol.

In short though, for the sake of anynewer players I will reemphasize that what's important is doing what serves the team in a particular situation. If you aren't sure just ask! "What class do we need now?" So it's great to be versed in at least a few classes, and any player worth his salt still serves as medic now and then rather than see his team go short on them, when nobody else steps up to do it.

Indeed. I pretty much hit the comma button everytime I die to see if I should change classes.

KT

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Originally posted by: KeithTalent

Oh and I switched my plans with Mom, so I'll be there on time. I told her I need to play a game on Saturday with a bunch of relative strangers online and she understood.

KT

:laugh:

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
Had a fun time last night. Stabbed two engineers in a row who were working on the same setup and then sapped everything, including the gun.

So, it's tomorrow?

EDIT: I'd be glad to give some pointers if anybody wants them. I main engi, demo, and spy, with a little pyro and medic when necessary.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
I played a custom map today called 1_fort, it was pretty damn fun. Maybe it should be in rotation on the AT server? Not to big, not too small either. And one that was a rip off of the UT2k4 one with the 2 moving transporters in the desert with 1 team on each. I loved the map in UT, this was a pretty good remake of it.

ivan2

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2000
www.heatware.com
tried that map, not too fun because people are all spread out, there aren't many chock point. i like the wolfenstein one better, forgot the name, but it's hard as hell.

marmasatt

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2003
Stabbed two engineers in a row who were working on the same setup and then sapped everything, including the gun.

You Bastard. You're the type of guy I rage quit for and go Pyro just to kill you a few times. :D Whats your Steam name so I can look out for you? I'm "ericstin" and my wrench will be your demise should you come anywhere near my sentry....