AT&T refusing to unlock my iPhone 4 because I made a warranty claim with Apple?

slugg

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
Less than a month after I got my iPhone 4, I had the phone exchanged for another one at the Apple store under warranty. Now AT&T is claiming that because it wasn't the original phone I bought directly from AT&T, they refuse to unlock it.

Anyone have any creative solutions? Any similar experiences? Google is failing me.

ChAoTiCpInOy

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2006
So it's been 2 years but since you got it replaced a month into your contract they won't unlock it?

slugg

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
So it's been 2 years but since you got it replaced a month into your contract they won't unlock it?

They're telling me it's because it's not the original IMEI number that I activated when I got the phone. That since I got a new phone, it is not eligible for an unlock. What a bunch of crap.

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007
So unlock it as in be able to run on any network? Why don't you just use Sn0wbreez?

ChAoTiCpInOy

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2006
So unlock it as in be able to run on any network? Why don't you just use Sn0wbreez?

Because the iPhone 4 is only unlockable at 01.59.00 and if you've been updating regularly your baseband has been updated past that. Plus with the new policy of AT&T unlocking iPhones, he should not have to go through hoops to get his iPhone unlocked.

slugg

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
Are you out of contract?

Yup, I'm out of contract.

I'm going to call again tomorrow and hopefully get domestic customer service. Maybe that'll make a difference.

I want it to be legitimately unlocked for a couple reasons. First of all, I don't want to rely on a hack that may fail at any time without warning. Second of all, I'd like to increase the resale value of my phone.

I do plan on ditching AT&T; the price is just ridiculous. By switching to Straight Talk for $45 a month, I get unlimited everything and the only thing I lose is Apple's visual voicemail. I can just replace that with YouMail, which is actually a tad better. Straight Talk uses AT&T's infrastructure/network anyways, so the actual service will remain the same. So what the hell, why not?

ChAoTiCpInOy

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2006
Yup, I'm out of contract.

I'm going to call again tomorrow and hopefully get domestic customer service. Maybe that'll make a difference.

I want it to be legitimately unlocked for a couple reasons. First of all, I don't want to rely on a hack that may fail at any time without warning. Second of all, I'd like to increase the resale value of my phone.

I do plan on ditching AT&T; the price is just ridiculous. By switching to Straight Talk for $45 a month, I get unlimited everything and the only thing I lose is Apple's visual voicemail. I can just replace that with YouMail, which is actually a tad better. Straight Talk uses AT&T's infrastructure/network anyways, so the actual service will remain the same. So what the hell, why not?

Who did you originally call?

You can always send an email to Apple (timcook@apple.com or something like that).

slugg

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
Who did you originally call?

You can always send an email to Apple (timcook@apple.com or something like that).

611 directly on the AT&T phone, which is customer service. But that was on a Sunday... the call was clearly routed to a foreign call center.

I'll try my luck tomorrow when I know I'll talk to the "main" service center. They're probably more likely to escalate it, or just use common sense.

slugg

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
I called again during normal hours and it wasn't an issue. They asked me why I wanted to unlock it, I told them because I was switching carriers, and they tried to convince me not to switch, of course. I told them they'd have to match Straight Talk's price, which I know is possible because Straight Talk is just a middleman to AT&T, but they wouldn't. So whatever, I don't care :p

ChAoTiCpInOy

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2006
I called again during normal hours and it wasn't an issue. They asked me why I wanted to unlock it, I told them because I was switching carriers, and they tried to convince me not to switch, of course. I told them they'd have to match Straight Talk's price, which I know is possible because Straight Talk is just a middleman to AT&T, but they wouldn't. So whatever, I don't care :p

So everything worked out and they unlocked your iPhone?

vshah

Lifer
Sep 20, 2003
just hope you are aware of straight talk's data use limits and consequences (getting kicked off after 2 warnings or something like that). I think they warn you if you use over 100mb of data in a day. if I were you, i'd port your AT&T number to google voice now, so you'll always have control of it.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
just hope you are aware of straight talk's data use limits and consequences (getting kicked off after 2 warnings or something like that). I think they warn you if you use over 100mb of data in a day. if I were you, i'd port your AT&T number to google voice now, so you'll always have control of it.

This is good advice. Porting your main number to Google Voice not only allows you a great deal of flexibility to carrier hop as you wish, you'll also be able to make calls from any Android tablet without having to distribute a new number to anyone. Bonus for the consumer.

I plan to do the same when my Verizon ETF gets low enough.