AT&T Moto X on T-Mobile

Lone Ranger

Dec 7, 2007
I bought an unlocked Moto X that is AT&T branded. I now use it on T-Mobile in the Mpls/St Paul area. So far, my call quality has been horrible. I've had 4 dropped calls in two days. My question is: how can you tell if there are different radios inside an AT&T branded Moto and a T-Mobile branded Moto? For the most part they use the same bands, but is it possible that the AT&T phone is missing support for some of the bands that T-Mobile uses in my area?

If so, I suppose I would want to get rid of this one and buy an actual T-Mobile model. Love the phone, but I'm one of those people that still makes phone calls with a cell phone!

Ravynmagi

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2007
I'm not good at understanding these bands myself. I know that T-Mobile uses a 1700MHz band that AT&T doesn't. But my understanding is T-Mobile is switching over to support AT&T's 1900MHz for 3G. Not sure if this has any bearing on call quality though. *shrug*

Main reason I'm replying though is I saw the good news is that motomaker.com now supports customized Moto X phones for T-Mobile and the other carriers now.

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
Check your APN settings and manually change the APN to fast.t-mobile.com if it isn't that already. If the phone is locked to AT&T, T-Mobile SIM should not work at all. If you are truly unsure, try www.imei.info and check the phone's IMEI number. I used that site to check my parents' iPhone 4's unlock status some time ago and it provided correct information at the time.

What kind of signal are you getting? Is there anyone in your neighborhood who uses T-Mobile and can share the experience?

hans007

Lifer
Feb 1, 2000
At&t phone is the xt1058 which is shared with a lot of Latin america countries and canada.

People have tried flashing the T-Mobile / developer edition ROM on the unlockable boot loader Latin / canada phones and it doesn't turn on aws 3g. Voice isn't over that band though so I think you just have bad reception. In a lot of cities t mobile has 1900 MHz 3g support these days so an at&t phone does get most t mobile signal just not the aws 3g that the "real" xt1053 model moto x t mobile phones get. Its just one part of their bandwidth

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
APN shows "epc.tmobile.com".

I'll try what you mentioned.

Can you change that to "fast.t-mobile.com"? Don't leave out the hyphen in t-mobile.

Though I think for voice calls epc.tmobile.com should suffice. It doesn't hurt to try anyway. Hans007 may be right that there might be difference in band supports.

Lone Ranger

Dec 7, 2007
Can you change that to "fast.t-mobile.com"? Don't leave out the hyphen in t-mobile.

Though I think for voice calls epc.tmobile.com should suffice. It doesn't hurt to try anyway. Hans007 may be right that there might be difference in band supports.

So do I create another entry or replace the existing entry?

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
Either way is fine. If you are uncomfortable, take screenshots or make a note of current APN settings so that you can revert back.

Lone Ranger

Dec 7, 2007
Either way is fine. If you are uncomfortable, take screenshots or make a note of current APN settings so that you can revert back.

I had to create a new entry. The original one is not editable. All I created was a name and value. Do I need to put anything for user/pass/server/etc...?

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
Copy over the same exact values except for the "fast.t-mobile.com"

hans007

Lifer
Feb 1, 2000
So will I get updates from AT&T or T-Mobile?

You get updates from the image on your phone so at&t.

On phones that can be flashed such as boot loader unlocked phones people have changed their image out to get updates from another source.

I.e. people flashing a t mobile image to a Rogers phone.

At&t isn't nearly as bad as say verizon. In xda there is an leakef at&t signed kit Kat image that a lot of people are trying that seems close to release worthy already

vshah

Lifer
Sep 20, 2003
your phone doesn't have tmobile aws bands, so you're only going to be getting voice service where tmobile has refarmed to 1900mhz. you could try limiting to 2g, there are more common bands between the carriers for 2g than for 3g. it might improve a little bit.

pm

Elite Member Mobile Devices
Jan 25, 2000
These are the versions of the Motorola X:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moto_X#Variants

The key thing to look at in this linked table is the UMTS bands column - UMTS is the technical name for the 3G protocol. So UMTS -> "3G" for this conversation.

Basically T-Mobile has two 3G networks - one at 1700MHz (also called "AWS") and another at 1900MHz. The 1900MHz network is compatible with AT&T phones (which are also using 3G on 1900MHz) but the AWS band is not compatible with most AT&T phones . Because only T-Mobile uses 1700MHz in the whole world (with a few neglible exceptions) and T-Mobile is not a large carrier, most international phones also don't support AWS. T-Mobile's has gradually started moving networks from 1700MHz to 1900MHz starting last year, and if you are in an area with 1900MHz T-Mobile, your AT&T Moto X will work just like it was on AT&T on their 3G network.

If, however, you are in an area with mixed 1700MHz 3G at 1900MHz towers - which is still a lot of the USA as I understand it - then your AT&T phone will be confused because it only talks one of the two bands, and may drop you at times or have lousy call quality because the handoff from 1900MHz which you are using, to 1700MHz which you can't use, totally messes with the network and your phone... whereas a standard T-Mobile phone (which uses both 1700 and 1900) wouldn't be. This would particularly a problem in a car where you are driving and one tower might be 1900MHz and then your next tower is 1700MHz and now the phone receives a signal "drop to 1700MHz" and it doesn't know what to do with this and eventually drops to GSM but while your phone is trying to decide what to do, your conversation sounds like garbage or just drops. But even when you aren't in a car, it could be a problem due to "cell breathing" which is a weird effect that I don't totally understand but which is that the 3G signal from a tower changes based on how many users are using 3G on that tower (google 'cell breathing' if you want a better explanation) - so due to cell breathing your towers can change even when you aren't moving.

Here's an unofficial map of T-Mobile's 1900MHz towers.
http://www.airportal.de/

T-Mo also have a 2G network (referred to as "GSM") T-Mobile - this is the older network and it's completely compatible with AT&T. If you disable 3G, your call quality will likely improve because your phone won't be confused any more. But your data speed will stink. 2G data is about 0.1Mb/s where as 3G on T-Mobile is usually around 4Mb/s.

My advice would be to turn off 3G most of the time - your call quality should be fine - and then turn on 3G when you need data. If you are frustrated by all of this, then you'll likely need to swap for a T-Mobile Mototola X phone or wait... T-Mobile plans to complete the migration from 1700MHz to 1900MHz by the end of this year... but they are way behind their original schedule so waiting might not be a great option.

Here's another post - from someone probably more authoritative than I am - about it that says the same thing that I wrote:
https://support.t-mobile.com/thread/44406

Last edited:

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
You get updates from the image on your phone so at&t.

Oh wow. I had no idea it worked that way. Thank you, hans.

@pm: That is the easiest yet most comprehensive explanation I've read on AT&T and T-Mobile's 3G networks. Thank you!

Thegonagle

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2000
Pretty much spot on from PM, except that all the major carriers except for Sprint use AWS frequencies. The difference is that the other guys are only using it for LTE; T-Mobile is the only major using it for HSPA.

What does that mean? Nothing for the OP, but to say nobody else uses AWS is inaccurate. The carriers need all the spectrum they can get right now, including AWS.

Currently, T-Mobile is in the process of moving the 3G-HSPA over to PCS (1900 MHz frequencies) to make room on AWS for more LTE.

This move will allow more interoperability, and allow T-Mobile to get more phones in their stores without requiring their own special version to take full advantage of the network.

As the OP has found out, they're not done yet.

pm

Elite Member Mobile Devices
Jan 25, 2000
Pretty much spot on from PM, except that all the major carriers except for Sprint use AWS frequencies. The difference is that the other guys are only using it for LTE; T-Mobile is the only major using it for HSPA.

What does that mean? Nothing for the OP, but to say nobody else uses AWS is inaccurate. The carriers need all the spectrum they can get right now, including AWS.

Thanks for the correction. I didn't know that.