AT&T@Home SUCKS!

SuperGroove

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 1999
Laying aside their good technical support and response time, the service simply sucks. Uploads restricted at 12KB/s is fine with me...well compared to how much the mail goes out! I've been trying to check my mail for the past few hours, and AT&T always lets me down during the time I need mail most. AAAARGH! I know I know...I was spoiled by thinking it would only go out 3 times a week for 6hrs+ each time. I'm so spoiled...

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I've had @home for a year and this is the first time the E-mail has been down. I got a notice that the server was down and to check back later. That saved me from going nuts and wasting time trying to figure out were my settings broke. It's back up now. My guess is that it was down while they made stuff even better. I got bluelight for the occassions when the cable goes down, but all in all, except for the upload limit which is, for me only really a small issue, I'm happy. I just don't tell that to my neighbors. :D

You can get an emergency e-mail account just about anywhere, too, for lots of situations with a free dial up.

Viperoni

Lifer
Jan 4, 2000
My mail service been as bad as yours Super.
Bad like crazy up here in Toronto.
Too many pplz on cable (crack too :p)

ChrichtonsGirl

Platinum Member
Aug 24, 2000
My Charter@Home email goes down a LOT. At least once a week, and usually for the whole day, but their tech support has been great to me. Just a couple of weeks ago I couldn't get mail for nearly two days while they worked out those "network issues". :(

SqUiRm

Dec 31, 1999
Yeah, i am thinkin about getting @Home service cause i really want cable. What is the 12kb/second thing about?? What does that mean?? Are there any reasons u wouldnt want cable?

SuperGroove

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 1999
You know when you upload a file onto the internet? Well, instead of being able to upload files at the same time as you can download them, you're restricted to only uploading a file at a transfer rate of 12KB/s. Stinky poo if you ask me.

So where can I setup an emergency account? Also...for some gall-darned reason, I have to renew my adapter in winipcfg EVERY single time I want to get onto the internet now. I don't know why...and I don't know how to fix it. I simply don't care. This is my backup computer, and I'm waiting for my RMA'ed board to come back from MSI. STINK!

Before I go...I must say that AT&T@home's customer support is very good, as is there technical support. No longer am I on the phone the whole day waiting to talk to a representative. With Diamond and AT&T Wireless...I am not fearful of the representatives catching me while I wait on the john. With AT&T@home...I don't even time to have break wind:D

I download at 400KB/s a second...and I guess the upload cap is fine with me.

Paul

XMan

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

<< i download about 3.1KB/second >>

Ditto. Kwitcherbitchin, SuperGroove. It could be worse. ;)

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
You can get bluelight here

There are other free services you may prefer, or have local modems etc.

Stallion

Diamond Member
May 4, 2000
A few times we lost our connection they deducted some money from our bill. We have had it for over a year now and have never had any major things to complain about.

Vikaden

Golden Member
Apr 10, 2000
Ive had RoadRunner for a little over a year now and i can i have never had one loss of connection or e-mail, so i really love the service

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
ChrichtonsGirlWhere are you? I'm in MN with Charter @Home and they have horrible service. My connection goes down several times per day, and my ping to various servers varies wildly from <100 to 300+, even in the middle of the night when you'd expect little traffic.

I'm going to switch as soon as I have the oppurtunity.

ltk007

Banned
Feb 24, 2000
Comcast@home is terrible. Mail is always out, service always goes down, and tech support is non existant.

Raspewtin

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 1999
I have Cablevision@home and while the connection isn't bad, the technical support, etc is horrendous, and none of it's done by my local cable company, all by @home. As long as nothing goes wrong, it's okay I guess