AT Shot of the Day Thread

Page 111 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

gradoman

Mar 19, 2007
wow what a catch!!

Yeah man, I've owned a camera for a few years now and my daughter and I have tried to at least get a good look at the Red-tailed hawks and Kestrels in the area -- it only took about 3 years for me to catch a moment like this.

Also, I'm going to get one of my favorite photos printed and framed. It's one thing to have it on the PC as wallpaper (which was always my goal), but yeah, I wanna finally see a large print on the wall.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fenixgoon

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Yeah man, I've owned a camera for a few years now and my daughter and I have tried to at least get a good look at the Red-tailed hawks and Kestrels in the area -- it only took about 3 years for me to catch a moment like this.

Also, I'm going to get one of my favorite photos printed and framed. It's one thing to have it on the PC as wallpaper (which was always my goal), but yeah, I wanna finally see a large print on the wall.

That was my birthday gift to myself. You won't regret it!!

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Test shots in program mode to be used as baseline for future comparison with new R3

Went to Makaha Beach to shoot surf pics ended up shooting mom and baby whales

Assembled setup in backyard to shoot aircraft ended up shooting birds. Just goes to show you never know.

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
Got a pretty nice deal on an open box Sony 70-200 F2.8 lens at Best Buy (even reflected the price drop with G2 version of this lens that came out recently)...My puppy is made cuz I woke her up from her 2nd morning nap to play around with the new toy....

DSC01779_DxO-DeNoiseAI-standardA.jpg

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
Moon looked pretty bright tonite when I got home so I thought I would take a stab at getting some pics...from my backyard in North Dallas...not my best moon shot but I think it came it okay...I really need to look into doing some photo stacking at some point...

DSC02870_DxO-DeNoiseAI-standard.jpg

/EDIT: Here is a shot from tonight (04/17/22 - shot above was from 04/14/22)..I like this one much better....
DSC02973_DxO-DeNoiseAI-standard.jpg

Last edited:

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Moon looked pretty bright tonite when I got home so I thought I would take a stab at getting some pics...from my backyard in North Dallas...not my best moon shot but I think it came it okay...I really need to look into doing some photo stacking at some point...

View attachment 60071

Nice shot, good contrast.

As far as stacking goes, how is your area positioned for doing some stacking of the MIlky Way this time of year?

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
Nice shot, good contrast.

As far as stacking goes, how is your area positioned for doing some stacking of the MIlky Way this time of year?

I took this shot with the floodlights (and neighbor's lights as well) all on...I would guess my spot isn't ideal with all of artificial light around me...I would imagine those Milk Way shots would be be much better outside of the city with little/no light pollution to affect the shot...

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
The first trogon I've seen in almost two years. There were four calling this morning, Madera Canyon, Santa Rita Mountains, AZ. Our eighteen months of almost no rain slammed the trogon population. I hope we see some recovery but the winter rains weren't that good this year.
1650321301254.png

1650321333440.png

CuriousMike

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2001
123 megapixels
monopano.jpg

CuriousMike

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2001
#photography goals

where did you take that? amazing photo!!

i'm going on a small camping/hiking/photography vacation this coming week. i'm hoping i can come back with some good shots.

That is at Mono Lake on the new moon.

It's by far the darkest place within 4 hours of me.

Reactions: gradoman

gradoman

Mar 19, 2007
I was gifted a Rolleicord that's about 90 years old by my mother-in-law a good while back and I have to say, the first roll was such an experience, hahah. Just loading the film (Ilford 120 ISO 400) was a pain. Had a hard time getting the roll seated (did not happen with the old Kodak film I shot afterward), it started to unravel (you can see where it exposed a touch on every frame's right side), then once I got it, I accidentally double exposed one frame and reading the settings off an app on my phone was super awkward.

Did I mention when you look through the viewfinder, things are reversed? I'm still not comfortable with it, but it's starting to click.

Since then, I took the main lens out and opened open the back to clean the lenses on both sides, cleaned up the focusing screen, tried cleaning the mirror, but turns out it's coated so part of it melted away with the alcohol. Still works since the image is diffused on the focusing screen, but there's a slightly darker area. Shot a roll of Kodak something from 1989 and another Ilford 120 400 ISO film. I've got one more roll to shoot, bought a shutter release cable and a tripod bushing to use my tripod to do some long exposures and maybe I'll get some color film to see what that looks like with some long exposures on a moody day.

It's so slow and so nerve-wracking knowing each frame costs actual money. I have some shots of family -- didn't want to post them since they're younger family members and the shots are not good at all, hahah.

000469670001_Edit.jpg

000469670008.jpg