AT Shot of the Day Thread

Page 110 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Been living in NYC/NJ area for quite a while now and I've never been able to see individual snowflakes until Friday. Maybe I just hadn't been paying attention before, but I'm pretty sure the stuff's only ever fallen on in clumps:
When you zoom in on the middle one it looks like a perfectly cut diamond is in the center of the snowflake.

Reactions: gradoman

gradoman

Mar 19, 2007
When you zoom in on the middle one it looks like a perfectly cut diamond is in the center of the snowflake.

RIght?

that's really awesome - i don't think i've ever looked at individual snowflakes IRL!

That's what boggled my mind. Felt like I must have been missing something to have never seen the individual flakes and I've been living in the area for 15 years or so, hahah!

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
I found this shot I took back in 2015 of the waterfall in the first Jurassic Park movie but I did some post processing on it yesterday...It was taken on a helicopter tour with a Sony Nex 5 and the 55-210 kit lens so it could have turned out a lot worse LOL

DSC00132-SharpenAI-Motion_DxO.jpg

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
i know this is a picture of pictures, but i got my first set of photo prints mounted in my house. i have a 2nd set on the way going on an adjacent wall

top - Death Valley sand dunes panorama
Left - Fireworks on 4th of july
Center - Sólheimajökulll Glacier Overlook, Iceland
Right - Star Trail Timelapse (~200 exposures). Death Valley, Zabriskie Point, looking towards Pahrump, NV

PXL_20220205_155328609.jpg

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
i know this is a picture of pictures, but i got my first set of photo prints mounted in my house. i have a 2nd set on the way going on an adjacent wall

top - Death Valley sand dunes panorama
Left - Fireworks on 4th of july
Center - Sólheimajökulll Glacier Overlook, Iceland
Right - Star Trail Timelapse (~200 exposures). Death Valley, Zabriskie Point, looking towards Pahrump, NV

View attachment 57134

Congrats. Very nice display.

Are they printed on glass?

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Not sure I posted this before but this Brazil cardy fledgling is from the last batch of a mated pair that visited our home for over six years, bringing two or three clutches of kids per season consisting of from one to four chicks in each clutch every year over to our home because we put out a feeding station for them over those years and they'd never miss a feeding (three times per day and much more after the chicks had hatched.) One day we noticed that only one of the adults showed up for months on end so we knew something had happened to its mate as they usually pair up for life.

edit- It's breeding season again and the surviving original adult has shown up with a new mate (we can tell by the shape of their bibs). Great, more squawking squeaky mouths to feed in a few weeks.

Last edited:

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
my other set of photos arrived and are up on the wall (ignore all the pencil alignment marks and the oh-so-outdated phone jack!)

top row - zabriskie point, death valley, ca
far left - fireworks
center left - Reykjavik, as viewed from the top of the Hallgrímskirkja Church
Center - Hallgrímskirkja Church
center right - star trail timelapse, badwater basin, death valley, ca
far right - fireworks

PXL_20220217_015302368.jpg