AT Shot of the Day Thread

Page 109 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
You put candles in depressions in the rocks?
Bedrock mortars are conical depressions in the bedrock created by Native Americans (and other peoples around the world) to grind beans, grains, and acorns. I used LED tea lights instead of candles so that there would be no risk of leaving wax in the holes.

1637453726975.png

The Huerfano Butte bedrock mortars mentioned in the Wiki article are a few miles from where the picture was created.

Reactions: Fenixgoon

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Bedrock mortars are conical depressions in the bedrock created by Native Americans (and other peoples around the world) to grind beans, grains, and acorns. I used LED tea lights instead of candles so that there would be no risk of leaving wax in the holes.

View attachment 53179

The Huerfano Butte bedrock mortars mentioned in the Wiki article are a few miles from where the picture was created.
It worked out stunningly well. That's a fantastic and creative photo. It would occur to very few people to put LED candles in those depressions to make that kind of art. Looks like a beautiful alien landscape.

Reactions: IronWing

gradoman

Mar 19, 2007
Been a while and most shots of my recent shots are of people, haha. I got this really colorful building done over the past weekend. It's called the Stonehenge on the Palisades. Getting the perspective right is with the lens (25mm) I used makes my head spin, so I'll probably reshoot with a different focal length from farther away and try to get the tripod extended all the way.

Stonehenge on the Palisades

Here's one of a person that took me waiting for about 10 mins to finally have someone walk down the staircase. Might be easy to reproduce the shot on any overcast day, but having that swoosh go through the image made it a bit unique.

Traveling

Last edited:

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Been a while and most shots of my recent shots are of people, haha. I got this really colorful building done over the past weekend. It's called the Stonehenge on the Palisades. Getting the perspective right is with the lens (25mm) I used makes my head spin, so I'll probably reshoot with a different focal length from farther away and try to get the tripod extended all the way.
Now you have an excuse to buy a tilt-shift lens. :p

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Walking around and saw some nice fogged up city skylines so snapped a couple shots with the phone. That's the freedom tower top just peeking out of the cloud cover, and then a guy just kinda hanging around with midtown manhattan in the back.

PXL_20220101_201717383~2.jpg

PXL_20220101_201651563~2.jpg

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Walking around and saw some nice fogged up city skylines so snapped a couple shots with the phone. That's the freedom tower top just peeking out of the cloud cover, and then a guy just kinda hanging around with midtown manhattan in the back.

View attachment 55325

View attachment 55326

Thanks for sharing. I really enjoyed viewing those pics. I love the visual wonders that nature provides for us and that's a nice example of it.

Reactions: MrSquished

gradoman

Mar 19, 2007

View attachment 55325

View attachment 55326

You in the Hoboken/Weehawken/West New York area? Photowalk one of these days? :D

That fog over the weekend was affecting us all the way north in Upstate NY.

Lighthouse in the Fog, Upstate NY:

ANT09775_HQ.jpg

Last edited: