AT Shot of the Day Thread

Page 105 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
I haven't had much motivation to shoot recently with the miserable weather before the full Spring bloom. Here's one of I took in the last big snow fall:

View attachment 42372

Like the composition and framing. Also like it because I will never ever see a sight like that where I live, being in the middle of the Pacific Ocean while sharing the same longitude as Mexico City.

Reactions: gradoman

gradoman

Mar 19, 2007
Like the composition and framing. Also like it because I will never ever see a sight like that where I live, being in the middle of the Pacific Ocean while sharing the same longitude as Mexico City.

Haha, I'm a transplant from the US Virgin Islands and had not seen snow til I was 13. I still think it's amazing and I don't mind the bitter cold, but the endless grey and brown wears on me.

gradoman

Mar 19, 2007
In the past year, I've been feeding the pigeons on a daily basis. A few couples have tried to make a next on a building next door and recently a couple was successful. Unfortunately, the little bit of space wasn't enough to hold their little pigeon chick and he/she fell off and landed in an alley. So we rescued the little one and built a sort of nest on our windowsill. The dad has been stopping by and feeding the chick regularly (phew) and nothing seems to be broken!

_ANT3495_MQ_16x9.jpg

AME06396_MQ_16x9.jpg

gradoman

Mar 19, 2007
I saw this big bird (Red Tailed Hawk) sitting on the light on my way to the Hudson river. The sky was super overcast, so creating a minimalist shot wasn't too hard. I chose an angle that avoided buildings and trees and then I brought up the exposure a touch to bring up the details on the bird and make the sky super white:

_ANT0209_MQ_16x9.jpg

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
My dog sitting on my lap when she begins her "sad face" around the time she gets her evening treat. Someone please contact the ASPCA and get this dog removed because of "abuse". :p

3.jpg

Reactions: IronWing

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
Life is too short so go for it. Worry about the sacrifices you'd need to make to make it happen after you start enjoying the purchase.

I pulled the trigger on the Sony A7 RIV today...she will be here tomorrow :)

Have heard some stories that this body doesn't play well with the 200-600 lens (mostly autofocus issues when used for birding)...hopefully since I shoot mostly planes, this won't be an issue...I guess if that turns out to be the case, I might have to just return it and get the A1...LOL

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
I took your image and ran it rhough Topaz Denoise...what do you think?
View attachment 44017

I just purchased Denoise a few minutes ago based on the results of your edit. Thanks much for the heads up on that. I'm going to be doing an engagement and wedding shoot this weekend and I'll definitely be employing this plugin along with Portrait Pro, NIK suite etc. on many of the pics because the reception will be held in a large niteclub with dark ceilings and low light setting.:beercheers:

Reactions: spacejamz

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
I just purchased Denoise a few minutes ago based on the results of your edit. Thanks much for the heads up on that. I'm going to be doing an engagement and wedding shoot this weekend and I'll definitely be employing this plugin along with Portrait Pro, NIK suite etc. on many of the pics because the reception will be held in a large niteclub with dark ceilings and low light setting.:beercheers:

did you get similar results with your dragon fly image? that software seems pretty impressive....

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
did you get similar results with your dragon fly image? that software seems pretty impressive....

Hadn't tried it on that set of pics. I dug through my archives and went looking for RAW files that weren't edited, especially files shot at night. Seeing as if I was using Noise Ninja (discontinued) for all these years Denoise has been a breath of fresh air. Intuitive, user friendly with great results. I'll try to get a couple of shots posted with before and after results, but won;t be too soon as I've got a six hour shoot tomorrow along with all the editing that follows.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Red-Bandit-4WEB

Well yesterday's engagement shoot never happened, client's bride-to-be had a "lady's kind of thing" to deal with that created a time crunch issue with the engagement slide show to be shown at the reception. In the meantime this' a pic I took about a week ago of another resident building a home, this time in a small tree in my backyard.

No time to do a side trip through Denoise though, but will get into it maybe t'nite after chores are done.

gradoman

Mar 19, 2007
Recently got a Sigma 100-400mm DG DN, swapped my daughter's A7II for an A6400 for better autofocus, flippy screen (great for setting up video for school). While on a photowalk, we saw an American Robin juvenile fly by and land in a disabled ramp. Looked over and saw another juvenile waiting for food and so I went around to take some shots. I really didn't want to get too close since they were scared and barely able to fly without stumbling about.

The shot's grainy since storm clouds were rolling in and the sun was setting and the lens isn't great for low light situations. Also, the A6400 doesn't have uncompressed RAW which allows pulling up or down the exposure to allow for a lower ISO value, but hey, the pose was cute, shooting low to the ground is easy with the flip out screen and I didn't need to get too close (that crop factor makes it 600+ at the long end) and frighten the birds too much.

AME01523_MQ_16x9.jpg

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
The shot's grainy since storm clouds were rolling in and the sun was setting and the lens isn't great for low light situations.

View attachment 44606

I took a stab at your image with Topaz DeNoise...is there any improvement in the image below?

when I look at the both as full screen images on my 65" screen, the improvement is noticeable to me :)

AME01523_MQ_16x9-DeNoiseAI-standard.jpg

Last edited: