AT Shot of the Day Thread

Page 104 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
A UPS 747 cargo freighter at DFW airport this morning...no crop (at 840mm - with 600mm and 1.4 tc)...

View attachment 37912

Nice clean shots you're taking, great depth of field too. Is that a Canon setup you're using? If so I have same lens and tc that I use for surf photography. I tried stacking the 1.4 and 2.0 together on the 600 just out of curiosity. Of course the OOF was nasty along with the induced heat wave distortion, but was fairly impressed as far as the reach was concerned.

Reactions: spacejamz

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
Nice clean shots you're taking, great depth of field too. Is that a Canon setup you're using? If so I have same lens and tc that I use for surf photography. I tried stacking the 1.4 and 2.0 together on the 600 just out of curiosity. Of course the OOF was nasty along with the induced heat wave distortion, but was fairly impressed as far as the reach was concerned.

thanks...Sony A9 / Sony 200-600 lens...

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
I have posted some pics of this beast before but she made a rare return appearance to DFW airport yesterday and the weather was perfect for her (keep in mind it was in the single digits less than 5 days ago)....
1614021736104.png

DSC05109_Optimizer.jpg

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
thanks...Sony A9 / Sony 200-600 lens...

I now have three friends that have converted over from Canon to Sony mirrorless and these guys had heavily invested in Canon prior to switching over. I'm going to wait for Canon to go full on mirrorless with their top of the line models and compare with Sony before taking the same Sony route as my friends.

After viewing the results of their work with their Sony's along with yours, the temptation is compelling to pick up a Sony and join in on the fun.

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
I now have three friends that have converted over from Canon to Sony mirrorless and these guys had heavily invested in Canon prior to switching over. I'm going to wait for Canon to go full on mirrorless with their top of the line models and compare with Sony before taking the same Sony route as my friends.

After viewing the results of their work with their Sony's along with yours, the temptation is compelling to pick up a Sony and join in on the fun.

I have been drooling non-stop over the new Sony A1...not sure if I can justify the price tag but that is one sweet camera...I am thinking about getting a Sony A7 RIV though for the 61MP images...much easier on the wallet and I can get a nice student discount on it...

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
I have been drooling non-stop over the new Sony A1...not sure if I can justify the price tag but that is one sweet camera...I am thinking about getting a Sony A7 RIV though for the 61MP images...much easier on the wallet and I can get a nice student discount on it...

Life is too short so go for it. Worry about the sacrifices you'd need to make to make it happen after you start enjoying the purchase. The only problem I have with acquiring new gear is the letter of justification the wifey demands that I write up and then she keeps them filed away for future prosecution. Well yeh I embellished a bit but it sure feels like that every time she sees that "I gotta have it" gleam in my eyes. lol

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Got the coolest pilot pose ever today...I was the only person out there so he was really hamming it up !!!! :)

View attachment 41987

Interaction with your subjects, whether it be a pilot, a caterpillar or a baby is always a really cool thing to experience.

While I was shooting surf pics at Ala Moana Bowls a few TransPac racing yachts were pulling into Ala Wai Harbor and as they were cruising through the harbor entrance I prompted them to wave the "shaka" sign and I guess because they were at the end of a punishing journey across the Pacific Ocean they were very relieved and jubilant and really hammed it up like your pilot did such that I got some really good pics, one of which got put in our local newspaper and a few others got put up on the TransPac website.

Like you, I was the only one there taking pics of them. Lucky you, lucky me.