AT Shot of the Day Thread

Page 102 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
Cool picks!

That's only 7 planes flying in formation in this shot, but just imagine what the sky looked like from the ground back in WWII with some of their massive bombing raids.

In fact, I was curious and just looked it up. The largest was a raid was on July 27, 1943, in which 787 RAF aircraft bombed Hamburg, Germany. :oops:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombing_of_Hamburg_in_World_War_II

when you think about the logistics behind something like that, it can make your head hurt...imagine the fuel, ammo, bombs and coordination to get that many planes in the air in that short amount of time...then imagine what it takes to feed, provide clean clothes and supplies for all of the men (pilots and ground crews) who make it happen...mind boggling...and they didn't have excel spreadsheets or access databases to keep track of everything....

Reactions: UsandThem

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I saw an image of this bridge on my Windows lock screen, and I never saw before. I thought it was pretty nice/cool looking:

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/rakotzbrucke-devils-bridge

Rakotzbrucke-Photo.jpg.optimal.jpg

CuriousMike

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2001
Took a random time lapse of sky from inside the house a while back, as sometimes I end up capturing cool stuff. Ended up capturing a shooting star.

Note sure it's a shooting start - looks more like an airplane. Shooting starts tend to have more color in the trail.

QhjYY0f_DxO.jpg

gradoman

Mar 19, 2007
Marley the cat! Saw him/her on a walk w/my daughter and thought wow, beautiful cat! Next thing I know, the cat's walking over and begging for a belly rub. A neighbor explained that the cat's super friendly and belongs to someone a bit down the road.

(A73, 85mm, f1.8, 1/500, edited in Cap One and fixed up the fraying on the collar with the new Healing Tool -- really loving that feature)

_ANT3227_16x9_HQ.jpg

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
Taking my first stab at using an off camera flash....I already had an external Sony HVL-36 FM flash, I mean speedlight LOL, that was wireless compatible but my Sony a9 doesn't have a built in wireless flash controller...after having fun researching what i needed, I found a suitable controller (Sony HVL-F20M) on Amazon warehouse that did the trick...it was listed a 'Very Good' condition and was $70 off the brand new price of $148...

I just hand held the external flash while taking this pic...it definitely changes the mood of the pic....Now I just need to figure out how to work the distance settings...Since both flashes are part of the Sony wireless flash function, it does pass exposure data to control the flash (so it isn't just a simple slave mode flash that fires full power every time)...
DSC06761.jpg

Reactions: IronWing

gradoman

Mar 19, 2007
Summer Days in NJ:

(This and the previous set are shot with 85mm, f1.8 on Sony A7III. Fell in love with the 1x2 crop factor. I'm really not sure why it just clicks for me, but hey...)

_ANT0976_MQ_1x2.jpg

_ANT1059_MQ_1x2.jpg

_ANT9885_MQ_1x2_1.jpg

Last edited: