AT Shot of the Day Thread

Page 90 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

gradoman

Mar 19, 2007
I really like this one.

Acorn woodpecker, Madera Canyon, Santa Rita Mountains, Arizona
The woodpecker was moving his acorns from one side of the power pole to the other. Not sure why.

Shifting its nuts around, huh? Lolol.

Shot the sunrise the other day with my daughter. It was brutally cold and the clouds started covering the sky up and our disappointment was growing by the moment. We packed up and were walking back when I realized the clouds didn't go all the way down to the horizon so I stopped and told the kid to unpack her camera and get ready. Felt good to get these shots.

Fiery Glow:

F87S2Rj.jpg

Sunrise:

_DSC2636_MQ.jpg

Last edited:

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
^I like that first one a lot.

More from Madera Canyon today. Lots of photos today, the light was perfect.

Acorn woodpecker
acorn_woodpecker_2019_01_14a.jpg

Arizona woodpecker
az_woodpecker_2019_01_14a.jpg

Bridled titmouse
bridled_titmouse_2019_01_14a.jpg

Coatimundi coming in to raid the suet feeders.
coati_2019_01_14g.jpg

coati_2019_01_14a.jpg

coati_2019_01_14b.jpg

coati_2019_01_14c.jpg

coati_2019_01_14d.jpg

The suet is mixed with hot pepper sauce to discourage squirrels from eating it. Apparently, coatis don't care.

coati_2019_01_14e.jpg

coati_2019_01_14f.jpg

Hepatic tanager
hepatic_tanager_2019_01_14a.jpg

hepatic_tanager_2019_01_14b.jpg

hepatic_tanager_2019_01_14c.jpg

hepatic_tanager_2019_01_14d.jpg

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
Great wildlife shots! I thought coatis carried their own Cholula. :)

gradoman

Mar 19, 2007
This is Canon 5D Mark III w/ 70-200mm f/2.8 II + 1.4x III Extender - 280mm of the Moon. Love to get a 400mm 2.8 III when I win the lottery or something.

Or if money grew on trees. Like you, I'd love to own that Sony FE 400mm f/2.8 GM OSS Lens and the 2x tele, but at nearly $12,000, wow, so very pricey. Nice moon shot, btw. I never get enough of seeing the moon.

Reactions: Thrashard

Thrashard

Oct 6, 2016
Those prices are insane. Some people don't drive a car that is worth that. What really makes me nervous are those Mirror-less Cameras coming out. From what I read they allow faster F/ speed and our current Lens Mount size have a limitation.

Like it's impossible for a 600 f/2.8 or 800 f/2.8 function but Mirror-less will allow that. I'll have to donate my Kidney to afford that though.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
We recently got back from a Safari in Kenya. I put a lot more photos in this thread if anyone is interested

The majority of our pictures were taken with this combination:
Canon 5d Mk III
Canon 70-200mm f2.8
Canon lens extender 1.4x (Effective range 98-280mm)

v4w4Xer.jpg

BJfCPsj.jpg

mtKqmVV.jpg

ZBiAkVq.jpg

ePjd9Pc.jpg

LvJjJzf.jpg

Platypus

Lifer
Apr 26, 2001
We recently got back from a Safari in Kenya. I put a lot more photos in this thread if anyone is interested

The majority of our pictures were taken with this combination:
Canon 5d Mk III
Canon 70-200mm f2.8
Canon lens extender 1.4x (Effective range 98-280mm)

v4w4Xer.jpg

BJfCPsj.jpg

mtKqmVV.jpg

ZBiAkVq.jpg

ePjd9Pc.jpg

LvJjJzf.jpg

The first lion pic, and the last photo in the post, are both really stellar.

Nohr

Diamond Member
Jan 6, 2001
www.flickr.com
Posted these in an eclipse thread on OT the other day.

This was a quick shot with my DSLR attached to my 127mm telescope, nearing the end of totality.

Total Lunar Eclipse - Jan 2019

And here's my more planned out wide-angle shot. You can see the Beehive cluster to the lower left of the moon, just above the trees. Taken in east TX with a Canon T4i & 50mm F1.8, two photo composite.

Total Lunar Eclipse & Beehive Cluster - Jan 2019

gradoman

Mar 19, 2007
Posted these in an eclipse thread on OT the other day.

This was a quick shot with my DSLR attached to my 127mm telescope, nearing the end of totality.

Could you recommend a setup for a total newb? From your comment, it doesn't sound too difficult, but maybe your setup is more complicated than you let on. If you don't mind, of course.

Nohr

Diamond Member
Jan 6, 2001
www.flickr.com
Could you recommend a setup for a total newb? From your comment, it doesn't sound too difficult, but maybe your setup is more complicated than you let on. If you don't mind, of course.
That's a difficult question to answer because it really depends on what you're wanting to do and how much you'd like to spend. There's no one-size-fits-all in the telescope world. I'd recommend asking on the Cloudy Nights forum, they're super helpful and very friendly to beginners. But I'll go ahead and tell you my thought process when I got started.

So at the time I already had a DSLR, a decent tripod, and a reasonable knowledge of where things are in the night sky. I'd been doing basic astrophotography for a few years but I wanted to experiment with taking better pictures of the moon and planets than my 55-250mm lens would allow.

I picked up a Celestron C90 which is a good quality and relatively cheap 90mm/3.5" telescope. Well made and good bang for the buck. Add in a T-ring/T-adapter for your brand camera which lets you mount the camera to the back of the telescope. Then it's basically a 1250mm telephoto lens with manual focus and no aperture control. For visual use (ie with your eyes, not the camera) you'd also want a 90 degree diagonal which makes it easier to look through when it's pointed high in the sky.

It doesn't come with a tripod of any kind, but it will sit on the ball head of the camera tripod that I already had. Screws in just like a camera does. Keep in mind it weighs 5lbs (before you even add a camera) so you'll need a pretty solid tripod to handle it. It's a little finicky to aim on a ball head and it'll probably be a little shaky, but if you're patient with it you can get some great photos. It really opened up a whole new world of photography to me.

You can of course spend hundreds and thousands more on computerized imaging gear, but I'd recommend taking it slow. It's easy to spend a lot of money and get overwhelmed by the steep learning curve and never use it again. Start in small steps, get some practice in, and then if you like it you'll have more of an idea of what direction to go in the future.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions.

Reactions: gradoman