AT pocket knife fans, get in here...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Crotulus

Sep 2, 2008
My daily carry at work.

SOG Aegis Tanto
Buck keychain
Victorinox Swisstool
Fenix LD11 flashlight

fnd2br.jpg

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
I carry a Kershaw Blur, kind of expensive but it is nice that it is made in America. In a pinch once I had to use the knife other than its intended use and put a nick in the edge, I sent it to Kershaw and they fixed it, I can't tell if they replaced the steel or reground the edge.

1670s30v_profile_1020x400.png

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
I have a nice Boker ceramic and just noticed that the tip is broken off. Have no idea how that happened. Ceramic might be sharp but they're too delicate.

timthumb.php
Oh sexy. I like a lot of the Boker designs. Their Kwaiken is awesome although in your left pocket (I'm a lefty) it can cut your hand a bit sometimes, cause the blade tip and snag the side of your palm. It needs to be a scoatch deeper in the frame when folded, IMO.

Anyway to answer the OP, I've never been big on angles and steels. I guess I like S30V the most but I don't really care that much, as long as the steel doesn't rust easily. I'm more concerned about corrosion resistance than keeps an edge, I guess. Angles are whatever the knife comes at. I have a Spyderco Sharpmaker set that I've used a few times but the last time I did it it didn't seem to do much and might've even made some of my kitchen knives more dull (I even did the sharpie-on-the-blade thing and was careful). Bah, I hate knife sharpening.

FeuerFrei

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2005
I have a nice Boker ceramic and just noticed that the tip is broken off. Have no idea how that happened. Ceramic might be sharp but they're too delicate.
Ceramic may be extra wear-resistant, but it's less impact resistant. It lacks the strength and toughness of steel. I've never tried a ceramic knife myself.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
I carry a Kershaw Blur, kind of expensive but it is nice that it is made in America. In a pinch once I had to use the knife other than its intended use and put a nick in the edge, I sent it to Kershaw and they fixed it, I can't tell if they replaced the steel or reground the edge.

1670s30v_profile_1020x400.png
I like the Blurs. Have 2 of them.

I'd like to get more expensive knives but just can't justify the cost.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
There are plenty of really solid knives in the <$50 range.

This would be pretty high on my list (specifically this one, or one of the other D2 options - Not the AUS8 versions which are more like $25):

https://www.amazon.com/Ontario-ON8867-Liner-Knife-Black/dp/B01NALV2ND/

The problem is once you play with the nicer stuff you're ruined.

Viper GTS

I have one of these too. seems nice but it doesn't have assisted opening. I don't really need that, but it's a nice feature.

edit: oh, mine's a model II

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
I am not a big fan of assisted knives, but I get that people like them. Rat II is just a smaller version, if you don't like/can't legally carry bigger knives then the II is an equally solid choice.

I received one of these for christmas:

https://zt.kaiusaltd.com/knives/knife/zt0452cf

Pretty ballsy buying me a knife but she did good - It's lovely.

Viper GTS

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
Yeah, I hear you. A $2 box cutter would be adequate for about 90% of my knife needs, but not nearly as much fun.
Yeah, but there's something about using a beautiful knife that makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

maxresdefault.jpg

Paladin3

Diamond Member
Mar 5, 2004
lapg-tbfk-s35vn-edc-folding-knife-15.gif

I received my LAPG TBFK knife in S35VN steel in the mail. It's my first knife in a premium steel and I love it overall. The knife is a new design by a company just getting into designing and their own knives. Unfortunately, that means the knife needs a gen 2 version to address a few minor problems that would turn it from a good knife into a great one.

It's a big, heavy knife at 8" overall and a 3 3/8" blade, that gives the impression it was designed to be used with gloves on. Not necessarily a bad thing, but it means the flipper and thumb studs are extra big. The serrations of the liner lock used to close the knife extend down more than other knives. That would make it easy to use gloved, but it creates a little hot spot against my index finger that could cause a problem. The G10 scales could have better texture as they are a little slick. Otherwise the knife feels good and secure in my hand.

It's a smooth manual opener but the spring detent is a little weak. I can get the closed blade to release without touching the flipper or thumb studs if I flick the knife hard enough. It has a low profile pocket clip, but the knifes width and large thumb studs could be a problem if you wear skinny pants or just have tight pockets. Clip is tip down right hand only and can't be moved.

Otherwise, I love the looks and quality for the $37.73 shipped I paid for it after a coupon. Sharp enough out of the box to take hair off my arm and easily shred paper. The liner lock is solid. A good knife that could be great with a little work. 10/10 for value, but 6/10 subjectively.

Last edited:

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Holy shit! $975?!

Congratulations! That's an interesting blade design. I wonder what the idea is behind it?

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
This is my most recent acquisition ...

IMG_20180414_185108.jpg

Not sure where it fits in my life. I bought it cause I wanted a new toy. It's a nice blade, and quite affordable. I added the paracord. I had red/black on it before, but I don't really care for that pattern, and it bothered me every time I looked at it.

FeuerFrei

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2005
I'm trying to bow out of the knife market, except for a few choice pieces, now and then.

Picked up two knives this month:

Svord Heavy Peasant friction folder
SVOPK3CWa.jpg

Ontario Robeson Heirloom Drop Point fixed-blade
-- Bottom one in below image:
ont-8172-74.jpg

Full-size. D2 steel. Got an excellent deal on it.

Reactions: lxskllr

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001
I usually carry a coldsteel american lawman. Yesterday I lost it, had it on the hood of the vehicle, and went into town. The thing bounced off the hood about 3 miles down the road, went back but couldn't find it anywhere. Ordered another one last night. My other ones i carry is a small case stockman knife, and sometimes I break out the Demko AD10. It looks similar to this picture.

0130513134771563645.jpg

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I'm trying to bow out of the knife market, except for a few choice pieces, now and then.

Picked up two knives this month:

Svord Heavy Peasant friction folder
SVOPK3CWa.jpg

Ontario Robeson Heirloom Drop Point fixed-blade
-- Bottom one in below image:
ont-8172-74.jpg

Full-size. D2 steel. Got an excellent deal on it.
I especially like that peasant knife. I don;t really have a use for it, but I kind of want one.

FeuerFrei

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2005
I especially like that peasant knife. I don;t really have a use for it, but I kind of want one.
l'm starting a friction folder collection. Friction folders aren't up to rigorous cutting tasks, but they have the cool factor. That Svörd is a 400 year-old design - rather primitive - and flimsy as knives go. I prefer the ones with a hole in the tang so I can hang them easy - like the Svörd Peasant and TOPs Tac-Raze.

So far my friction folder collection consists of 4 Svörds and 1 Fox-Bastinelli folder. The Fox is a more solid, classy, refined gentleman's folder.

I'm kind of a sucker for a pinned wooden handle and bare, gleaming steel.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
It's been awhile since I've seen an EDC thread, and since I've been doing convex edges lately (went and got a Work Sharp, plus grinder) it got me curious about what this crowd thinks of steel and angles.

I love high carbon, also have feels for AUS8 and 10. I take care of my sharp stuff so corrosion is never really an issue for me, even living up in New England's wet Northern Forest where rust abounds.

Any steel will work really, but consider me on the CPM S30V ticket now. Got my EDC at 20 degrees, and 15 on the kitchen stuff. Getting the grinder attachment was so worth it. Tough steel + a stropped saber grind = win 3 days of moderate use and still crazy sharp.

Any steel, angle or method stand out to AT? What's your preference?

S30V is pretty good steel. My Paramilitary is of that stuff and I believe my Fox karambit is of the same alloy.

I have a couple Enduras of ZDP-189. That steel is hard as anything I've come across and it holds an edge longer than anything else I have, but it's a bear to sharpen right and I just don't have the skill or patience. I send those out to a pro and I'm good for a year with minor touch ups cutting almost anything fit to throw at a knife.

I use factory angles for my EDCs but for my Chinese slicers I use a 17 degree angle. I also coat my carbon steel knives with Renaissance Wax twice a year. No rust no matter what. Non toxic and highly recommended.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
This is my most recent acquisition ...

IMG_20180414_185108.jpg

Not sure where it fits in my life. I bought it cause I wanted a new toy. It's a nice blade, and quite affordable. I added the paracord. I had red/black on it before, but I don't really care for that pattern, and it bothered me every time I looked at it.
I just bought this from the same company

FT11746n.jpg

It's the heavy duty Companion carbon steel. It's an ideal bushcraft knife IMO.

Reactions: lxskllr

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I just bought this from the same company

FT11746n.jpg

It's the heavy duty Companion carbon steel. It's an ideal bushcraft knife IMO.
My pictures disappeared on the front page, but I carry the standard carbon Companion daily for work. I bought it on a whim, and use it faaar more than I expected to. One of the greatest knife bargains available imo.

FeuerFrei

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2005

I use factory angles for my EDCs but for my Chinese slicers I use a 17 degree angle. I also coat my carbon steel knives with Renaissance Wax twice a year. No rust no matter what. Non toxic and highly recommended.
Wax all the way. Far less reapplying. I use Sno-Seal on my carbon steel. (it's for waterproofing shoes)

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
Looking for an EDC recommendation. Previously had a Ken Onion Leek and liked it a lot for my first knife. Anything else I should be looking at in the $30 range or just get another Leek?

FeuerFrei

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2005
I just got one of these no-name front-flippers for $28. A ripoff of the Boos Blades Smoke TS1.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FDP6RQ6/
61fWYE5C59L._SL1500_.jpg

71agJ6qmccL._SL1500_.jpg

Pretty fortuitous. Current price is the usual price, so you'd have to camp out and see if it ever drops again.

Let's hope the materials used are as claimed.
The front-flipper tab is non-jimped and short, so one-handed blade deployment is clumsy for me. Others might be more deft. You can always resort to two-handed opening. Could well be a deal-breaker for many.

The wire pocket clip is screwed down. The screw pinches the two ends. Not a very robust design there.

I love the overall design and size. The slender pointy blade profile might scare bystanders though.

Jury's still out on durability. I imagine it's in the same quality-ballpark as the Leek. Heftier though.

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
I just got one of these no-name front-flippers for $28. A ripoff of the Boos Blades Smoke TS1.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FDP6RQ6/
Pretty fortuitous. Current price is the usual price, so you'd have to camp out and see if it ever drops again.

Let's hope the materials used are as claimed.
The front-flipper tab is non-jimped and short, so one-handed blade deployment is clumsy for me. Others might be more deft. You can always resort to two-handed opening. Could well be a deal-breaker for many.

The wire pocket clip is screwed down. The screw pinches the two ends. Not a very robust design there.

I love the overall design and size. The slender pointy blade profile might scare bystanders though.

Jury's still out on durability. I imagine it's in the same quality-ballpark as the Leek. Heftier though.

Thanks will take a look.