At last, I join the team

Train

Lifer
Jun 22, 2000
www.bing.com
Well, ive been meaning to for a while, but now i am finnally jumping on, I dont want to miss it when we move into #2, and on the #1

I just overclocked my PIII 450 to 600, and will be getting that one up first, then the only other thing i have to throw at it is a Pentium 75 (super slow), but it will help out i guess.

we have a few massive dell servers here at work, some of them arent doing anything yet, waiting to be assinged web sites or workgroups, i think i can persuade my boss to let me put them to work crunching numbers until they are needed. There are about 6 unused Dell quad servers in our freezing cold server room, im not sure what the processors are, but they are on dual T3's, with more ram than you can shake a stick at.

Wolfie

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
Welcome to the team Train.

I hope you can convince your boss into letting you use those machines. I only have two machines and I can't seem to persuade my friends into doing this. Maybe I am useing the wrong words or something. Anyways.....

Welcome to the team.... and hope you have as much FUN as we do.... :D

Wolf

Train

Lifer
Jun 22, 2000
www.bing.com
oh yeah, i had some questions too, (ya im an RC5 newbie)

whats all the MOoooing for??

and theres some other terminology floating around im really not catching, anybody feel like making a team anandtech "code words"? FAQ?

Gatsby

Golden Member
Nov 6, 1999
Train--

Moooing is to symbolize the sound the cow makes in real life. Rc5 has hte fun cow icon.

thats normal peoploe.. since i have a dyslexic cow. mine goes WOooMOooo instead of MooooWooo..

Gatsby

xrayman

Oct 10, 1999
Welcome aboard Train
**pun intended**

...oh, I caught your (unintended?) pun about shaking a stick at all that ram:D
Cool.

ZapZilla

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Aside from the cow as the DNet mascot, the early clients had a setting that one could activate to have 1 of 5 moo sounds play at the completion of each block.

It was a lot of fun to have a room full of computers cracking RC5 and mooing at random!

Moo MOO MooOOO Moo MoOOo Mooo Ah the good 'ol days! :) :) :)

Reactions: Assimilator1

Xede

Oct 15, 1999
Yeah, what's with all the loss of functionality from the clients, anyway? No more mooing, no more GUI, etc. Guess dnet's trying to whittle the client down to the bare minimum necessary...

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
Welcome to the team Train! And good luck on coaxing your boss into letting a cow roam on your servers.;)

PS Xede, ya, that's pretty much the general idea

Impact55

Platinum Member
Feb 16, 2000
Question: This sounds kind of newbish, but doesn't RC5 cracking eat away at your processors life?

Tripleshot

Elite Member
Jan 29, 2000
Impact55

Question: This sounds kind of newbish, but doesn't RC5 cracking eat away at your processors life?

IMHO I think it may.Instead of 10 years of effective life,it may cut to 8 years.I doubt the contest will last that long and I'm sure I will have upgraded every cow in my herd by next year.I wouldn't worry.;)