AT G80 review IQ pics question

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Gstanfor

Banned
Oct 19, 1999
I'd be worried about whether or not I was right if you didn't think my posts were nonsense...

beggerking

Golden Member
Jan 15, 2006
Originally posted by: sodcha0s

Given that HL2 has been out for 2 years and nvidia STILL can't release a bug free driver for the game...

Gstanfor, your trolling never ceases to amaze me.

umm.. I think you misread ( or in your words, trolled)... its not a Nvidia problem, its a problem w. the game developer..

sodcha0s

Golden Member
Jan 7, 2001
Originally posted by: beggerking

Given that HL2 has been out for 2 years and nvidia STILL can't release a bug free driver for the game...

Gstanfor, your trolling never ceases to amaze me.

umm.. I think you misread ( or in your words, trolled)... its not a Nvidia problem, its a problem w. the game developer..

The thing here is that the game has been out for a long time, and none of these problems appeared on existing hardware. G80 is released, and this flaw, whether a driver or game code issue appears. Gstanfor, with his "great insight", makes a comment which was clearly meant to accuse Valve of intentionally introducing a bug, or bugs, aimed at a piece of hardware that that nvidia wouldn't release for two years. Or perhaps they threw a hack together just in time for it's release to be included in a game update...:roll:

beggerking

Golden Member
Jan 15, 2006
The thing here is that the game has been out for a long time, and none of these problems appeared on existing hardware. G80 is released, and this flaw, whether a driver or game code issue appears. Gstanfor, with his "great insight", makes a comment which was clearly meant to accuse Valve of intentionally introducing a bug, or bugs, aimed at a piece of hardware that that nvidia wouldn't release for two years. Or perhaps they threw a hack together just in time for it's release to be included in a game update...:roll:

umm.. not really. G80 uses a brand new driver, therefore it is possible to have compatibility problem (aka new bugs) between the new driver and software.

Jun 14, 2003

umm.. not really. G80 uses a brand new driver, therefore it is possible to have compatibility problem (aka new bugs) between the new driver and software.

never mind brand new driver

the whole bloody thing is brand new, its a significant departure from previous gens, and nvidia engineers had to draw this puppy mostly by hand (previous GPU's could be mapped from software where you code in all your functionality) but they couldnt do that this time.

this is new and relatively un-explored area of technology..... you cant just expect it all to go without a hitch on the first try. im suprised there havent been more problems, or quirky performance.

really is a bit of gamble on NV's part makin this G80, since its been mostly designed by hand by engineers there really wasnt much of a way to test the water until the thing was actually built. fortunately it paid off.

guess the IQ zealots will never be happy....... they give you pretty much free 2xAA, 4xAA for the price of 2xAA, a plethora of new AA modes, CSAA, TSMSAA, TS SSAA the whole shebang, they give you angle independant AF by default, and make it even tighter in HQ and then give you the immense power to use all these features and all some of you can do is nit-pick a small screen shot of one game?

just give nv the credit they so obviously deserve and dont worry about it. the GPU has been out like 2 days, im sure theres lots of bugs to iron out, and theres plenty of time for them to do it, i wouldnt go getting hett up about minor issues at this stage....its to be expected.

(im particularly impressed in finding out G80 has been mostly designed by hand, 681million trannies....by hand!.....its great when that happens, you get great innovative and imaginative thinking and the final outcome usually has a sense that its got a soul and was designed with a passion....much like cars)

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
I'd be worried about whether or not I was right if you didn't think my posts were nonsense...
Again the issue has nothing to do with gamma correction, that was just your way of taking another swipe at ATi, as if to somehow imply ATi also have the issue because they can't disable gamma correction.

As for gamma correction, this is a good thing which is why ATi introduced it four years ago on the 9700 Pro and nVidia followed suit. I personally make sure I enable it all the time because it blends hard edges better into the background.

Gstanfor

Banned
Oct 19, 1999
Gamma correction can be great and it can also be total bollocks. Its something that the user doesn't need to control. Its something the developer should set on an object by object basis when building the game.

SonicIce

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2004
Originally posted by: dug777
Originally posted by: munky
It's probably just a driver bug, but hopefully one that will get resolved sometime in the near future, unlike a certain game with certain shadow artifacts...

heh, that never got resolved did it :(

Is that fixed with G80?

sodcha0s

Golden Member
Jan 7, 2001

You missed the point again I see, and at the same time validated it. Thank you.

Gstanfor

Banned
Oct 19, 1999
I love all the conspiracy theories about what I really meant in this thread.

I'll tell you what the likely source of the problem is. Half-life 2 has a directx.cfg (or similar name - not a home at the moment to double check) file. If a card isn't in that file HL2 has no clue what its capabilities might or might not be (a great example of how NOT to code card support BTW and is illustrative of valve's incompentent coding).

My guess is simply that because of this HL2 doesn't have a clue what G80's capabilities are, thus the gamma AA error when it "guesses" the capabiliites.

Cookie Monster

Diamond Member
May 7, 2005
Well, its hard to say because the G80 is at its infancy. Anything could go wrong. Lets give time guys.

flexy

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
Originally posted by: Gstanfor
I love all the conspiracy theories about what I really meant in this thread.

I'll tell you what the likely source of the problem is. Half-life 2 has a directx.cfg (or similar name - not a home at the moment to double check) file. If a card isn't in that file HL2 has no clue what its capabilities might or might not be (a great example of how NOT to code card support BTW and is illustrative of valve's incompentent coding).

My guess is simply that because of this HL2 doesn't have a clue what G80's capabilities are, thus the gamma AA error when it "guesses" the capabiliites.

you might be right with that config-file...nevertheless calling valve "incompetent coders" ? :)

Why is it that hl2, if i play certain DM maps it can look INCREDIBLE, depending on the map..with vegetation, good physics...and its ONE of the few engine where you can EASILY run 4xAA (even 6xAA) and get superb framerates even with mediocre hardware ?

I am aware that source-engine has downsides, eg. shadows/lightning...and it might be dated comparing it to most recent titles....but still...i dont see ANY reason to call them incompetent...be it as for their engines or game-content and/or released games.

There are MORE games out which are HYPED (FEAR....) where there is NOTHING to them...where the physics suck...the gameplay stinks, just the 100th rerun and borrowed things from eg. source-engine (and then BAD :).....and then in addition it still runs 5x slower and isnt even capable of AA :)

Gstanfor

Banned
Oct 19, 1999
HL2 only looks good because of texturing, hardly a revolutionary 3D feature (though still far more important than the shaders camp would like us to believe). Lets not even talk about the sound stuttering issue. So far as I'm concerned its Quake3 for D3D engine wise (with those pesky shaders bolted on) as it appeared in the original HL2.

I had/have no trouble at all running FEAR with AA.

josh6079

Diamond Member
Mar 17, 2006
HL2 only looks good because of texturing, hardly a revolutionary 3D feature (though still far more important than the shaders camp would like us to believe).
"shaders camp?"
So far as I'm concerned its Quake3 for D3D engine wise (with those pesky shaders bolted on) as it appeared in the original HL2.
...okay?
I had/have no trouble at all running FEAR with AA.
Trying to claim that Valve is solely responsible for this glitch that hasn't happened with any other card yet is a bit of a stretch.