News [AT] Dr. Ian Cutress leaving anandtech

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

gorobei

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2007
you could just get it from the mouth of the equine ya know.
they sometimes have subtitles and you can crank the playback speed.

BigDH01

Golden Member
Jul 8, 2005
I'm nearing 40 now but this is a hobby I started in my early teens. The ecosystem just seemed much richer back then but that could just be me slowly creeping into "get off my lawn" mentality. I remember reading a lot of aceshardware which did some in depth reviews of architecture which I loved. I followed Anandtech a lot at the time as well and I must've read the original K7 and core 2 duo reviews dozens of times.

Anandtech doesn't have much coverage anymore so I rarely visit it. The only consistent place I get hardware information now is gamersnexus and that's because Steve does an excellent job of being meticulous. I don't know if it's me, but it sure seems like the PC review landscape is more baron than it used to be. We didn't just use to have more and better reviews, we had more new things to review.

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
I'm nearing 40 now but this is a hobby I started in my early teens. The ecosystem just seemed much richer back then but that could just be me slowly creeping into "get off my lawn" mentality. I remember reading a lot of aceshardware which did some in depth reviews of architecture which I loved. I followed Anandtech a lot at the time as well and I must've read the original K7 and core 2 duo reviews dozens of times.

PC building has also become a lot easier over the years. Today everything is plug-and-play, install OS and you're good to go. Back when I started, it was AT motherboards with dip switches and jumpers. Massive PCI/ISA cards for any kind expansion. Just adding a CD-ROM drive was a big deal. Woe betide if you got something wrong. Or just reversed the AT power connector. That'd fry the mainboard. Or just plain forgot to plug in the floppy power cable...

I guess everything has been consolidated like many other industries. Back then it was more of a Wild West frontier, with a lot of experimentation by a lot of companies. I do miss that.

BigDH01

Golden Member
Jul 8, 2005
PC building has also become a lot easier over the years. Today everything is plug-and-play, install OS and you're good to go. Back when I started, it was AT motherboards with dip switches and jumpers. Massive PCI/ISA cards for any kind expansion. Just adding a CD-ROM drive was a big deal. Woe betide if you got something wrong. Or just reversed the AT power connector. That'd fry the mainboard. Or just plain forgot to plug in the floppy power cable...

I guess everything has been consolidated like many other industries. Back then it was more of a Wild West frontier, with a lot of experimentation by a lot of companies. I do miss that.

I'll never forget the joy of setting my Pentium 75 to run at 90 with a jumper in my old Packard Bell. Seemed like such a huge win and if you think about it, it really was (20% performance boost for moving a jumper).

But then I'll never forget the horror of having to replace my original FIC SD11 three times before getting my original Athlon system to work. I saved all my money from my summer job to buy the K7 600 instead of the 550 lol.

Doug S

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2020

Ian Cutress

May 10, 2014
I would pay if Anandtech offered a way to move all their multi-page articles into a single-page article.

AnandTech has offered this for free for over 15 years. Scroll down to the comments, and just above the comments, click 'print this article'. It creates a single pager. Or change /show/ in the URL to /print/.

For what it's worth to everyone in this thread, yes I am still looking to do deep dives; I feel like video deep dives have been poorly done in the past, so there's scope to improve it there.

The written side of things is still an itch to scratch, so I may end up with a substack and content being posted there - C&C are team gracious enough to let me help them with my decade of experience, plus a few small stub news items here and there. AT, for the sake of remaining independent, won't be accepting my writing. The companies I'm writing about may end up being clients of competitors of clients, and rather than list that disclaimer in the article, as an analyst would do at Forbes, AT would rather not have it at all.

I'm getting a lot of positive comments about bringing quality content to video, especially from the engineers at the companies I'll be talking about who are finding out information about their own products from me, rather than internal comms. It's something to do with a new generation of engineer. I have noticed that for reference material that video is obviously not so great, but to get people interested in things, it's becoming the de facto first step.

If anyone was wondering why I'm here, now, answering something in this thread, it was because I was looking at some content wondering if I was referenced, and this thread somehow was high-up in the search. Hope y'all doing well!

moinmoin

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2017
Anandtech will not even post AMD's financial results?
What can we still expect to read in the main site?
I'm afraid coverage is mostly up to who's doing the work. Ian was interested in earnings reports (and still is, just moved it to Twitter). Seems at AT there's nobody bothering with that atm. Considering new employees came in only after Ian and Andrei left, the new ones likely first need to find their own style.

Panino Manino

Jan 28, 2017
I'm afraid coverage is mostly up to who's doing the work. Ian was interested in earnings reports (and still is, just moved it to Twitter). Seems at AT there's nobody bothering with that atm. Considering new employees came in only after Ian and Andrei left, the new ones likely first need to find their own style.

I was waiting because the other day they the site published something about Intel's earnings.

Reactions: Tlh97 and scineram