News [AT] Dr. Ian Cutress leaving anandtech

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Hotrod2go

Nov 17, 2021
The rise of video websites is a result of too much liberalism in the education system in combination with clever psychology. An emphasis on bling & moving pics to get a msg across is no substitute for thought out page(s) of text & explanatory diagrams.
It's like waving coloured lollies in front of a child, instead of reading to them or letting them learn to read & them comprehending what is written.

Don't bring politics in here.

AT Moderator ElFenix

Last edited by a moderator:

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
The rise of video websites is a result of too much liberalism in the education system in combination with clever psychology. An emphasis on bling & moving pics to get a msg across is no substitute for thought out page(s) of text & explanatory diagrams.
It's like waving coloured lollies in front of a child, instead of reading to them or letting them learn to read & them comprehending what is written.
derp

Doug S

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2020
No, it's due to monetization of videos. A 10-minute YouTube video can get you $$$. A print article on some blog you write MAYBE gets you a banner ad that MAYBE somebody clicks on, but that ship kinda sailed years ago.

100% correct. Seems like Hotrod2go is trying to grind some political ax by claiming that somehow it is the fault of liberals? Wowza, some people think everything comes down to red vs blue.

Jul 27, 2020
If Ian's leaving was influenced by money then we need to start clicking more links around here;)
I can't click on lingerie ads at work, coz that's what I get whilst browsing AT forums. And I still won't click them at home. I have better things to do than lose time looking at half naked women.

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
Wow. Sucks finding replacements too.

I don’t do video reviews because I normally do my reading during “work” time and reading has all the benefits as summarized here plus can be so much faster. It’s waaay easier to skim an article than a video.

Sigh. I guess we’ll still be here, right? :)

Jul 27, 2020
Yeah, what?
Reading these forums, watching movies and sleeping. Shouldn't you guys be more concerned why lingerie ads are being shown on these forums? Google's adsense algo must really be broken. What do any of the forum topics here have to do with lingerie? I keep telling google "This ad is inappropriate" yet it keeps showing the same ad over and over. Annoying.

Esquared already stated to keep this thread on topic.

If you have an issue / concerns about the ads you see, create a thread in Forum Issues.

AT Mod Usandthem

Last edited by a moderator:

Makaveli

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2002
Hexus is dead, Hothardware is on the way there, Tech Report is on life support.

It's sad.

You lose a lot of information going to video. Picture's worth a thousand words don't apply here.
Tech report isn't on life support "he is dead Jim" ever since the owner left to work for AMD.

And i'm also one for written articles over youtube video's which just don't have the depth or quality.

Reactions: lightmanek

DeathReborn

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2005
Some Hexus staff moved to Club386, kinda wish they could have kept on the Hexus domain though.

When the last of Ian's AT articles goes up we should all put our appreciation for him in those comments.

eek2121

Platinum Member
Aug 2, 2005
No, it's due to monetization of videos. A 10-minute YouTube video can get you $$$. A print article on some blog you write MAYBE gets you a banner ad that MAYBE somebody clicks on, but that ship kinda sailed years ago.

Short term, videos yield better bang for buck, but long term? lol.

I own a few websites, and I have content I wrote back in 2005 that still makes money to this day. Long term, my written articles pull ahead of videos, despite videos having more views. I actually looked at this for the first time back in 2016, and looking at it now, it still applies. Videos can grab a ton of views in a short period of time, which makes bank. Written articles tend to be more organic, take time to grow and rank in the search engines, but make greater amounts of cash. An article with 500k of readers will generate far more cash from clicks and views (mostly clicks) in the US than a video with the same amount of views. However, an article may take 3 years to hit that point, while a video might take a week or two (this specific scenario, with both article and video covering the same content, is one of the things I looked at. Article was written in 2007 and video was released in 2015. Article generated 3.5x the amount of ad revenue as the video). Note that after the initial rush, absent a video going viral, views slow to a crawl, while readers (uniques and to a lesser extent, page views) for an article do not.

I actually created a Youtube channel to post videos along with the content I've written. Videos are 1:1 to the article in question. Comparing ONLY that data and ONLY for articles written after the channel was created and that had videos, the text outperformed the video 5.625:1. HOWEVER, I made no attempt to market the videos (or the text, search engines can index text, however, videos cannot be accurately indexed, even if they seemingly have subtitles.)

I suspect the bigger issue is cash now vs. cash in 10 years. If offered you $250 in 2 months or $1,400 in 10 years, which would you take? Nevermind the fact that 5 years later, that $1,400 becomes $2,000 or whatever, and the video only makes $400 or so.

Also, I won't blanket bash YouTubers. Some, like Steve from Gamer's Nexus, do an AMAZING job. However, I personally like to be able to read at my own pace, and maybe even do some research about the product outside the article.

Note that I can't post dollar amounts here due to partnership agreements. Also note that Amazon, with its super profitable affiliates program along with the 'sponsorships' that are so prevalent on videos these days are not included.

Finally, half of the websites I own/write content for/operate have optional subscription memberships that remove ads and do little else (mostly cosmetic things like badges, and a few things like priority support, recognition, etc.). These subscriptions beat all ad views from either media type. 1 person paying $2-$5/mo will trump 1,000 video viewers or article readers (depending on the niche, however, 1:1000, so...)

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Definitely a big loss. Do we know yet why he left or where he is going?

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
I own a few websites, and I have content I wrote back in 2005 that still makes money to this day.

Bad example though, you can write articles and never get revenue at all. The odds that anyone is going to see your written articles or click on banners is actually a lot lower. The barrier to entry on YouTube et al is much lower, which is why people have been moving to that format for awhile. Including Dr. Cutress.

I suspect that Dr. Cutress' writing for Anandtech will, over the long term, produce some long-tail revenue either for him or AT long after some of his videos are ignored/forgotten. But the % of his videos that will generate revenue at all will probably be higher. And that's saying something, considering the fact that anyone interested in semiconductors would probably flock to his content whether it were written or in video format.

He was gonna leave sooner or later. Who uses their Ph.D. to work for a tech website? AT was lucky to have him.

I had always wondered about that. He probably has a side gig (or AT was a side gig).

spdfreak

Mar 6, 2000
Neil Postman was professor of communications at NYU for many years and wrote the classic "Amusing Ourselves to Death" in 1985 as cable television was becoming mainstream. He had been sounding the alarm for years about TV (video) and it's effect on society. If he was alive today, he would be considered a prophet. Video has it's place- sporting events are, of course, much better on video than on the written page. But his maxim "the medium is the metaphor" really should be taken seriously. Any given medium — whether text, video, or social media — doesn’t only distribute content, but unavoidably shapes the content. “I will try to demonstrate that as typography moves to the periphery of our culture and television takes it's place at the center, the seriousness, clarity and, above all, value of public discourse dangerously declines.”

amrnuke

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2019
First, well, Ian leaving is a load of merde. But congrats to him -- I really hope for huge things for him. Fantastic talent and knowledge.

Second, I agree with most here. I find videos to be a horrific way to present most information. I much prefer a nice long single page review like what I get at ArsTechnica Pro++. I would pay if Anandtech offered a way to move all their multi-page articles into a single-page article. I would shell out cold hard cash for TechPowerUp to move to single-page reviews. But the reality is that most sites do what they do because each page display of an ad = revenue and so a multi-page article gets more money than a single-page article. Cue slideshows. So the natural movement is then toward videos with ads in the middle. YouTube is damn hideous because of this. I want to watch Destin Sandlin geek out at ULA's manufacturing facility = I have to sit through unskippable ads on my Roku or AppleTV. Fine for a factory tour, sucks... but fine. But for a graphics card review where most of the information is in charts? Just put it on a damn web page! I don't want to have to skip around your video imprecisely and run into ads that prevent me from seeing anything. And yet that's exactly why people are moving to video reviews. Because the ads are prominent and take all the focus, they pay more. And in the end... that's a hard thing to give up for content producers. This isn't a problem on the end of the content producers. They are simply being forced to make a hard decision due to the economics of advertising. That's it. Blame the advertisers. I don't know of many people who would take a lower paying job in order to make their customer's lives easier. (e.g. a fast food cashier taking a pay cut in order to allow the company to open two drive-thru lanes and hire an extra cashier so that customers have a quicker experience.)

Doug S

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2020
I refuse to patronize sites that deliver information via video. That extends to everything except stuff that is, well, only consumable as video like a movie trailer or "look what this cat did". If I see a friend post a "news" link on Facebook that's a link to Youtube, I never look at it even if it sounds interesting because I know from experience that "news" on Youtube is almost always of highly questionable quality, and I don't want to encourage the purveyors of fake news (and not surprisingly, friends who post such Youtube "news" links are almost all on the extreme right or extreme left - though amazingly there is more overlap in them than you'd think like both extremes being Putin apologists, though for differing reasons) Not that there isn't plenty of fake news in print, but the ratio is way higher in video form because that's where all the scum looking to peddle outrage live because outrage has a short shelf life before the next outrage is being peddled.

What's funny though is I pretty much never see these "ads" you guys refer to in Youtube videos. My desktop is Linux using Firefox with uBlock installed, my phone is an iPhone using Safari with Firefox Focus installed. People using Google's browser get what they deserve in terms of ads being shoved in their face. Of course Google isn't going to want people to avoid the ads they make over 100% of their profit from (because everything else they do loses money collectively)

Reactions: scineram