AT Cycling Log - 100,000 miles done! Next stop ???

Page 26 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

lotus503

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2005
Climbed the fabled 21 corners to Alpe d'Huez today, for the first time in my life.
Total of 1800 meters altitude, and with the descent roughly 70 kilometers.

Did crash out in the descent though, flat front in turn 14, something pierced the 4 week old front. Mounting the tire with cold hands is quite nasty.

And it wasn't only getting cold, but also dark, I missed the last bus by around 25 minutes, so I had to call a taxi from Bourg d'Oisans to Grenoble....Ended up paying 130 euros for that privilege.

At least I got up there, and I claim 45 miles! Would've been around 80, i I had had enough light to make it home. It's all down hill too.

At least I didn't die, I guess. If that tire had deflated in a fast corner, instead of in a switch back, I'd have hit the tarmac/rock at 40-50 mph....

So, the new total is:

and some road rash.

Why am I so envious of your misery?

Baked

Lifer
Dec 28, 2004
That was sick Rick! I also jealous of your ride. One day...

Forgot to log the past two days. About 12 from daily commute. Gonna do my "long" ride tomorrow, see how far I'll go.

Total: 18784

_Rick_

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2012
Why am I so envious of your misery?

Because you can't imagine how annoying it is to only have tightly fitting pants, with a palm sized road rash on the outer thigh ;)

But thanks all for the appreciation :D
I'm quite happy that I achieved my season's goal, and what I set myself up for when I got a serious bike last year. Considering that I only really started doing serious climbing and distances this year, I'm quite happy.

I guess next year I'll have to aim for the Galibier and Croix de Fer. But those are quite far away so I won't be able to do round trips, and I suspect that I'll need at least a group or maybe even a support vehicle. At the least I should make sure that I have someone to evac me before taking off :D

Let's see how long I can string this season along. One thing is for sure - won't go on long rides without full winter gear anymore.

drteming

May 9, 2005
100.15 Km, first metric century. It was neat seeing my Garmin watch roll over to 00.00.

Total: 18,846

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
15 My ass is still broken, explaining the 2 month hiatus. And I'll pay for it the next 2 days. Sad.

Total:20380

Baked

Lifer
Dec 28, 2004
Did my daily 6 today. I should be doing at least 20 miles a day.

Total: 20386

Baked

Lifer
Dec 28, 2004
Ok, seriously, I'm gonna do 20+ today. But I did my usual 6 yesterday. What happens when I max out the gear? I'm at 3/7 out of the possible 3/8 max speed. Or am I suppose to do 3/5 instead and go for faster RPM rather than max resistance? But if I get to max speed and can still maintain the same RPM as I get at 3/5, wouldn't my legs be stronger that way?

Total: 20462

_Rick_

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2012
Aim for ~90 rpm cruising cadence. More for sprints (you want to stay in gear) and less for steep climbs (i.e. when limited by your legs in the smallest gear - not really applicable to mountain bikes, you usually get grip-limited before you get torque limited)

Essentially, you keep shifting up, until it hurts to maintain 90 rpm. Then you suffer as long as possible, and shift back down one gear, until you feel that you can take some more hurt.

Baked

Lifer
Dec 28, 2004
Bought a bike computer today with cadence measurement. Very excited to try it out.

Update: I really like the bike computer. It's a "budget" model with cadence. I don't need to carry my phone with me anymore to record the trips I take.

Total: 20468

Last edited:

_Rick_

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2012
Claiming on the second post?
Have you no honor?

12 miles yesterday for the commute. Nice wet morning ride to get back in stride.
Next weekend, aiming for a trip through the chartreuse, taking aim for the col de coq, via col de vence and col de porte. Only about 60 km round trip, but 1900m of climb.
After the injury pause and vacation (= no commute) I feel ridiculously strong and well recovered, so should be a fun ride.

Total for now:

drteming

May 9, 2005
Finally able to get a ride in. 20 miles. Ran into a cloud of gnats, inhaled a couple, and there were probably a dozen on my face and hair.

OHuBrad

Mar 1, 2008
Is there an issue with me posting my mileage?
If so, I can go back to lurking.
I am unaware of breaking any forum rule.
Not sure about posting my mileage from today now...