AT Cycling Log - 100,000 miles done! Next stop ???

KMc

Golden Member
Jan 26, 2007
3/27/17 UPDATE: We've done it! Those last 25,000 miles took awhile, but we completed 100,000 miles in 5 years and 1 month. Feel free to continue to log your miles!

10/5/15 UPDATE: We've had some slow spots, but we're still going strong. Next stop - 100,000!

5/11/14 UPDATE: The second 25,000 miles took a little longer, but still well on our way. Next stop - 75,000!

2/15/13 UPDATE: 25,000 miles just 2 weeks shy of our 1 year anniversary! I'm setting our next goal at 50,000 miles.

7/21/12 UPDATE: 10,000 miles in less than 5 months with only 427 posts! I'm setting our next goal at 25,000 miles.

5/6/12 UPDATE: 5,000 miles in just over 9 weeks! A couple of weeks past the goal, but not bad at all. So, on to 10,000 miles then?

3/22/12 UPDATE: 1,000 more miles in 11 days! With the warmer weather coming, I think we should be able to average at least 100 miles per day. That would put us at 5,000 miles by Saturday, April 21st. Will you accept the challenge?

3/11/12 UPDATE: 1,000 miles in 12 days! Let's hit the next 1,000 quicker! Keep those posts coming!

OP:

I searched, but surprisingly, did not find a cycling mileage log. I know there are several members here who cycle at least somewhat regularly, so let's start one up!

Those crazy runners are at 42,000 miles in their log. Do you think we could catch them? How long would it take?

Log any/all miles you bike (training, competing, commuting, fitness, etc.) rounded to the nearest mile. No number too small. For those of you like me who do indoor training on a stationary bike in the off-season, feel free to log those miles too.

12 miles on the indoor trainer last night.

Total: 12

Last edited:

exdeath

Lifer
Jan 29, 2004
Won't take long at all. I'm doing 30 miles / 800 kcal a night in a 1 hr spin class.

Not usually a cyclist but I needed to push it hard out the gate and I can cycle as hard as I want without risking overuse injury like with running.

Last edited:

KMc

Golden Member
Jan 26, 2007
Won't take long at all. I'm doing 30 miles / 800 kcal a night in a 1 hr spin class.

Not usually a cyclist but I needed to push it hard out the gate and I can cycle as hard as I want without risking overuse injury like with running.

Great, then please log them in here as you ride them!

I do feel I should point out, however, that if you are really covering 30 miles in a 1 hour class, I have an alternative career path to suggest for you.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Great, then please log them in here as you ride them!

I do feel I should point out, however, that if you are really covering 30 miles in a 1 hour class, I have an alternative career path to suggest for you.
For sure. My MTB ride on surface streets is 16 miles ~1 hour.

Phanuel

Platinum Member
Apr 25, 2008

Rofl, no you're not.

Top line is in the drops/aero position, bottom is on the hoods. I'm using the aero position as you're sitting around with no wind resistance.
power.gif
You're generating 460 watts for an hour straight? Which doping pro are you again?

I do about 16-18mph on the mountain bike and 18-21 on the road bike, usually on the hoods while riding.

Last edited:

exdeath

Lifer
Jan 29, 2004
Rofl, no you're not.

Top line is in the drops/aero position, bottom is on the hoods. I'm using the aero position as you're sitting around with no wind resistance.
power.gif
You're generating 460 watts for an hour straight? Which doping pro are you again?

I do about 16-18mph on the mountain bike and 18-21 on the road bike, usually on the hoods while riding.

I'll grab a pic off the bike monitor. Not sure about tonight, tonight's instructor likes max gear hill climbs more than all out sprints so maybe 20ish miles tonight, well see.

No BS though, I'm red as the sun and drenched the whole hour, its a hard workout.

It is more than an hour though, forgot I show up 15-20 mins early and warm up first for 5 miles @ 90-110 RPM at gear 8-12 (of 24).

Last edited:

Phanuel

Platinum Member
Apr 25, 2008
I'll grab a pic off the bike monitor. Not sure about tonight, tonight's instructor likes max gear hill climbs more than all out sprints so maybe 20ish miles tonight, well see.

No BS though, I'm red as the sun and drenched the whole hour, its a hard workout.

It is more than an hour though, forgot I show up 15-20 mins early and warm up first for 5 miles @ 90-110 RPM at gear 8-12 (of 24).

Whatever that machine is telling you, is a lie. That's the simple truth. Either you measure wattage on a stationary bike or you measure wattage + speed in the real world. You don't measure speed or distance on a stationary bike. Wind resistance is a huge part of cycling that you're not even experiencing on a stationary bike.

And since power meters are typically in the $2K+ range for meter + head unit, you don't have that in a gym and as a casual rider you won't have that either. Get on a real bike outdoors if you want to log miles on a bike.

For example, if that machine was 110% accurate, you'd be a TdF professional - http://home.trainingpeaks.com/races/team-sky-races/2011-tour-de-france/stage-2.aspx
He's averaging 430 watts in a TT for ~24 minutes. You're saying you're producing 30 more than that for twice the duration. You're not.

Last edited:

drteming

May 9, 2005
Dirt bag runner here. I've always heard (from my numbnut cycling friends) that cycling is 4 times more efficient than running(?), so I guess you guys will have to do 200,000 miles. I'd love to ride, but certain parts go numb after about 30 minutes in the saddle...

iluvdeal

Golden Member
Nov 22, 1999
You shouldn't get numb after only 30 minutes, there's definitely a problem here. Have you tried:

-Adjusting your saddle (height, angle, forward/back)
-Buying a new saddle
-New shorts with a better chamois

As for efficiency, eh I wouldn't worry about that. Just do what you enjoy.

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003

What they are saying. 30mph is insanely fast. You'd have to be going balls out the entire time, sucking wind the whole way.

Spin is normally a variation of hills, intervals, and aerobic (long) work. The balls out fast offset by rest and you're not close to 30.

And while cycling is lower impact than running - it's no more safer from "overuse" than running. Don't believe me? Go out and ride an Ironman distance with no training. As long as your body has adapted to the stress and rigors, you can throw anything you want at it - tempo runs, trackwork, hills, etc.

KMc

Golden Member
Jan 26, 2007
How far back are we counting? Or are we just starting today?

I felt it was simpler to just start counting at my original post, rather than pick some arbitrary date in the past and have people try to count back.

13 miles last night on the trainer.

Total: 33

GoSharks

Diamond Member
Nov 29, 1999
What they are saying. 30mph is insanely fast. You'd have to be going balls out the entire time, sucking wind the whole way..
And even then, he wouldn't be doing 30mph for an hour. Not a chance that anybody here is doing that.

edcarman

May 23, 2005
As others have mentioned, I've found the speed and calorie readings on most spin bikes and gym bikes to be pretty far from what I'd normally expect for rides of various intensities.

I suggest we agree on a simple rule of thumb to apply to rides logged on spinning bikes (and to a lesser extent, indoor trainers). Something like 19MPH for a tempo ride, going up to 23MPH for a really hard ride and down to 15MPH for a light ride.

mechBgon

Super Moderator<br>Elite Member
Oct 31, 1999
As others have mentioned, I've found the speed and calorie readings on most spin bikes and gym bikes to be pretty far from what I'd normally expect for rides of various intensities.

I suggest we agree on a simple rule of thumb to apply to rides logged on spinning bikes (and to a lesser extent, indoor trainers). Something like 19MPH for a tempo ride, going up to 23MPH for a really hard ride and down to 15MPH for a light ride.

Motion seconded, those are sane numbers.

I did 35 miles yesterday (since we're starting from the 28th) and 34 miles today. And they're on a beast of a bike, I wish I could use a "damage multiplier" for that thing :sneaky:

Total: 110

Last edited:

GoSharks

Diamond Member
Nov 29, 1999

Those speeds seem somewhat high, at least for me.

Necrolezbeast

Apr 11, 2002
I'll throw the garmin on for a commute ride so I can start tracking those... usually I just track my for fun rides... Anyway, hope I remember to contribute my miles

KidNiki1

Platinum Member
Oct 15, 2010
i'm glad this is here! i dont run unless im chased, but i do like to bike it!

5 miles last night

TOTAL: 115