Question asus zenwifi xt8 + latest firmware + nest 3rd gen learning thermostat offline off and on?

markm75

Jun 6, 2017
I have this combo of hardware and it seems ever since i did a recent firmware update, that now the nest goes to offline mode randomly.
*I guess if i thought i could go back a firmware level (somehow) i'd try to go back to the last one?

Has anyone else ran into this and knows of a fix?

Thanks in advance

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Well, as you stated, best bet is to try and roll back to the last firmware version you were using. I ran into similar issues with my Ecobee3 with it dropping from the wireless network. I rolled back the latest firmware that I had updated my wifi AP with and that solved my issues. I waited a few months and then tried the newer firmwares that had come out after the "problem" one, and found that the latest worked again.

That said, I use DD-WRT firmware on my wifi AP, which is much more friendly to downgrading, so it was as simple as any upgrade process to perform.

markm75

Jun 6, 2017
Update, so with my xt8 asus, a few things i did..
It was suggested elsewhere to revert to a firmware from feb 2021 or previous (3.0.0.4.386.42095 or before). The 2021 feb one (42095) didnt seem to make a difference so i went with 3.0.0.4.386_41793
I dont think this was the fix.
I then went into 5ghz-1 and set the control width i think from 80 to 20/40/80. I also set the channel to 40 fixed.
So far, normally i'd have many offline periods, but so far none in several hours. One of the above fixed things (so far)

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
It was almost certainly the channel width. Most IoT devices lack the full capabilities of many of the various performance enhancements for using wifi since they themselves do not need much bandwidth to meet their needs, and it lets them save $0.50-2.00 on the chip used inside the device.