Question ASUS Z170 and later boards, TPM and Windows 11

Status
Not open for further replies.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
I will probably post this in the Windows forum as well.

I have two ASUS Z170 motherboards -- a Sabertooth "S" and a WS workstation board -- the second is a build in progress. [Sounds strange but I'll wait for at least a year before I move up to (what?) 12 gen Intel and chipset.] But the up-and-running system has a Kaby-Lake 7700K, and the workstation board is fitted for a Skylake 6700K.

These boards come with a plug for a TPM module. People are buying the modules with hopes of installing Windows 11 without any workarounds. The modules are available for about $30 to $35.

It's a slight gamble, I suppose, but I'm going to see what the MS/Windows diagnostic tells me after a win 10 install and the test system up and running with the module plugged in.

Just did some more checking, and the module apparently works with my Z170 boards. It is R2 -- a revision, likely to address the Infineon firmware that was thought "compromised" back in 2017. Other people were buying it for Z290 or Z390 boards.

Anyone with more information about this, please feel free to post. But I have great hopes.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Forum Moderator: I apparently created two threads on this topic, and I've got respondents coming in for the other one (not THIS one). You may delete this thread as you so desire.

Status
Not open for further replies.