ASUS Z170-a Compability and Peripheral Issues

Jabreu92

Apr 1, 2017
Hello so im a first time building but have some experience with a second hand build case I had. I just upgraded everything to the following with thenexception of the PSU.
GPU Evga gtx 970 SS
Mobo Asus Z170 a
Cpu Intel i5-7600
Ram. 1×8gb Ballistick Ddr4-2400
Psu antect 1000w
Cooler Coolrig H7

I get power to USB ports and computer turns on fine. But when I plug in peripherals they do not work (mouse, keyboard and monitor). I took the machine to be tested and will do again tomorrow. The test today confirmed that my ram stick was okay. That my psu wad okay. What I could not check was the cpu and i am assuming the mobo is defective. We put a working 6th gen processor (i7-6700k) in and no luck. My guess is that the mobo cant read the cpu because the mobo is 6th gen and the CPU is 7th. I also get a constant Dram LED. Dont know if it beeps because I have no speakers. We tried all different slots, i got a second card and no luck.

What bothers me most is that we inserted a 6th gen CPU and still got nothing from the mobo.

Any way to update bios without a screen?

MTDEW

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 1999
I would think if its not posting with the 6700k and the Dram LED is staying constantly lit, it may just be a memory compatibility issue.
I'd either try different ram with the 6700k cpu installed or try using the MEM OK feature/button.
https://www.asus.com/support/faq/1012266/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9azllBzU5PU

And yeah, you'll need to update the board to bios v3007 or higher to post with a Kaby Lake CPU.
Look at the top of the board near the 8pin cpu power connector and there should be a sticker there that says what bios version your board shipped with.

If you need to update the bios, unfortunately the Asus Z170-A doesn't support the Asus flashback feature "out of the box"....it does have a header that the manual states is for an add-on card for bios flashing but I searched and searched and have never found any actual info on where to get this add-on card, it just seems to not even exist.

So, if the board has an earlier bios than v3007, then you'll need to use the 6700k to flash the bios for Kaby Lake support or do what I did and order a pre-programmed bios chip from ebay. (i dont think Asus sells pre-programmed bios chips any more)

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
this is why it's nice to have a pentium with onboard video lying around... if that doesn't work after a full CMOS clear I wouldn't waste any more time with that board.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
OP could also try re-installing all USB (2.0, 3.0, and 3.1) drivers to the very latest versions.

This problem with keyboards, mice etc. and USB ports seems to arise with these Z170 boards. I'd had the similar problem with my Sabertooth Z170 S.

RLGL

Platinum Member
Jan 8, 2013
Sure would be nice if you added a speaker to the build. Try booting w/o a hard drive and no dvd drive etc.

Jabreu92

Apr 1, 2017
H
I would think if its not posting with the 6700k and the Dram LED is staying constantly lit, it may just be a memory compatibility issue.
I'd either try different ram with the 6700k cpu installed or try using the MEM OK feature/button.
https://www.asus.com/support/faq/1012266/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9azllBzU5PU

And yeah, you'll need to update the board to bios v3007 or higher to post with a Kaby Lake CPU.
Look at the top of the board near the 8pin cpu power connector and there should be a sticker there that says what bios version your board shipped with.

If you need to update the bios, unfortunately the Asus Z170-A doesn't support the Asus flashback feature "out of the box"....it does have a header that the manual states is for an add-on card for bios flashing but I searched and searched and have never found any actual info on where to get this add-on card, it just seems to not even exist.

So, if the board has an earlier bios than v3007, then you'll need to use the 6700k to flash the bios for Kaby Lake support or do what I did and order a pre-programmed bios chip from ebay. (i dont think Asus sells pre-programmed bios chips any more)

Itook the board to the shop. He had tried a 4gb DDR4 1850 (I think) and no issue. Im sure the shop I took it to which is an established business will have the tools necessarry to diagnose a dead board. My issue is returnign that and getting my money back.