Question Asus x99 Deluxe 2 Error 79 Black screen

wreath

Dec 18, 2020
Hey guys, I have this 3 years old pc which i was running win 10, perfectly, 2 days ago there was a windows update and after that when i turned on it asked me for selecting a proper boot device after that i restarted and and this time completely black no bios no anything and motherboard just giving "error 79" I have tried flashback bios(3 different usb sticks fat32,exfat), all psu cables out, motherboard battery out, gpu out, different gpu, all rams out, one stick of ram only, cmos clear button,another monitors, tried eveyrthing i could do but i cannot seem to get anything on screen. Can anyone help me

PC Specs

Asus x99 Deluxe 2
intel i7 6900k
Corsair 128gb Dimms
EVGA 1070 SC gpu
corsair h100i v2 cooler
win10 pro
samsung ssd as system drive

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
For troubleshooting purposes, try disconnecting the system SSD. It is possible that the drive died after windows update, and is now preventing the system from POSTing, as a dead drive can do. If you are able to POST, you may not be able to boot windows, but at least you know the rest of the system is ok, and then you just need a new SSD with a new windows install.

wreath

Dec 18, 2020
For troubleshooting purposes, try disconnecting the system SSD. It is possible that the drive died after windows update, and is now preventing the system from POSTing, as a dead drive can do. If you are able to POST, you may not be able to boot windows, but at least you know the rest of the system is ok, and then you just need a new SSD with a new windows install.

Hello Shmee, thank you for the reply i've tried it already and tried with another disk and also no disks aswell nothing works i am thinking about windows update somehow corrupted uefi or bios and i may be able to reprogram the bios chip and see if it works but all other easier solutions are welcome.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Well I would try the BIOS flashback again, which I believe requires fat32 format. Make sure it is in the right USB port. If that still doesn't work, it would seem like either the board is bricked, or your CPU died. I have heard of Broadwell E CPUs occasionally dying.

When did you buy the parts exactly? Both your motherboard and CPU should have 3 year warranties. You might try to RMA the motherboard next if you cannot flash it back to life.

wreath

Dec 18, 2020
Well I would try the BIOS flashback again, which I believe requires fat32 format. Make sure it is in the right USB port. If that still doesn't work, it would seem like either the board is bricked, or your CPU died. I have heard of Broadwell E CPUs occasionally dying.

When did you buy the parts exactly? Both your motherboard and CPU should have 3 year warranties. You might try to RMA the motherboard next if you cannot flash it back to life.

I tried with different sticks like at least 7 times no luck, blue bios flash lights are constan and does not work, i think if the cpu was problem it would give different error code than 79 ( i hope :) ) only thing i can try is programming the bios chip i assume.

Changing the cmos battery is not a bad idea either, though I doubt it went bad in 3 years.

Hey undertaker yes i've tried than aswell no luck.

Thanks for the replies guys