Question Asus TUF laptop - 1 permanent memory module and 1 removable - is it worth upgrading?

merk

May 29, 2003

I was in need of a laptop right away and purchased this one without doing too much research. Overall I'm pretty happy with it. The only complaint is I just discovered the laptop has 2 memory modules but one is soldered in place so I can only replace one of them. Currently it has two 8gb modules. The specs say it can be upgraded to a max of 32gb. But I'm not sure if that's 32gb in total, or if it means I can install a 32gb module and then would have 8gb + 32gb for a total of 40gb.

I was just thinking of getting a 16gb module but again - not sure if it would be 8+16 or just the 16. If it's just the 16 then there would be no point in doing that since i'd wind up with the same amount of ram, but without running in dual channel.

On a side note - why do they do that? I'm kinda shocked it has two m2 slots but effectively only has one sodimm slot.

fralexandr

Platinum Member
Apr 26, 2007
www.flickr.com
If you upgrade the ram to 8 + 16 it would be 24 GB of ram. 16 GB would be in dual channel and 8GB in single channel mode. If you upgrade with a 32GB it should read 40GB of ram, 16GB in dual channel + 24GB in single channel. Other sites list max memory for the ASUS TUF F15 as 64GB.

Soldered RAM takes up less space than slotted RAM. It's also slightly cheaper to implement.

Last edited:

merk

May 29, 2003
If you upgrade the ram to 8 + 16 it would be 24 GB of ram. 16 GB would be in dual channel and 8GB in single channel mode. If you upgrade with a 32GB it should read 40GB of ram, 16GB in dual channel + 24GB in single channel. Other sites list max memory for the ASUS TUF F15 as 64GB.

Soldered RAM takes up less space than slotted RAM. It's also slightly cheaper to implement.
Ok, thanks. I think i'd just go with a 16gb stick then.

Someone else mentioned that they thought the laptop could handle 64gb, but the asus site says 32gb. Plus I can't find any 64gb sticks available anyhow so kind of moot ;) The 32gb sticks are already a little more then I really want to spend anyhow so I doubt the 64gb is going to be cheaper then a 32.

I think I'll just stick with 16 for a total of 24 - that should be good enough i hope.