Question Asus to increase MSRP on graphics cards (and motherboards)

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
After re-reading this thread, I would just like to point out, and apologize for getting sucked-in to BFG10K's straw-man troll argument, that a "financial collapse" was somehow equal to an entire infrastructure collapse, such as in Venezuela, that when I said that "Crypto was a way out", that was IMMEDIATELY FOLLOWING the sentence stating (my prediction), that the STOCK MARKET was going to collapse.

THIS HAS HAPPENED BEFORE, and the lights didn't go out in the USA. Back in the Dot-Com boom/bust of 2000. The Stock market virtually IMPLODED, and lost around half of it's total value. Likewise, in 2008, there was a financial crash in the stock market. Lots of people lost lots of money.

If BFG10K would bother to actually educate himself, he would see that:
1) Certain prominent financial "analysts" have declared Bitcoin to be an INDEPENDENT "asset class", and
2) Many financial-services and other large corporations ARE BUYING BITCOIN, often in large (VERY large) quantities.

You have to ask yourself, if these companies ARE NOT STUPID, then WHY?

And that starts you down the path to educating yourself on Crypto.

All I was trying to point out, that Bitcoin (in particular) seems to be a good hedge against other sorts of "market fluctuations", and that it (thus far) has been the "most proven" of crypto-currencies.

I'm not talking about (a hypothetical) "PotatoCoin", or some just-invented $hitcoin, I'm talking about Bitcoin, for some people (maximalists), the ONLY "real" Crypto-currency.

I'm also not denying that there are, or have been, allegedly "ponzi schemes" in crypto, or that there haven't been "shady dealings" in some cases, but that's no different than stocks and other commodities and cash, really. Bitcoin does not, inherently, suffer from either of these things. It's a distributed permissionless public ledger technology.

Edit: Perhaps ironically, "mining" Crypto, is probably one of if not the most "legit" way to EARN CC, by performing services for the blockchain(s), and then getting (your share of) rewards. It's not like some of the admittedly (to my estimation), a bit ponzi-like DEX/DAP/DEFI stuff. I mean, some of this stuff (OTHER THAN mining) is kind of like gambling, no more and no less than the stock / futures / commodities markets, but the potential upside for your personal finances can be HUGE if you're skilled / lucky. (I just do things the "old fashioned" way, and stick to mining.)

Edit: And for the record, I harbor no ill will towards you, nor your opinions. I just think that your knowledge about Crypto is a bit lacking at the moment. We all individually (hopefully) have that "gotcha!" moment about Crypto, where we start to understand. You're not entirely off-base with your religion angle, some of it is much like a "religious experience". But one that is much more profitable, at least on THIS earth.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mopetar

undertaker101

Banned
Apr 9, 2006
After re-reading this thread, I would just like to point out, and apologize for getting sucked-in to BFG10K's straw-man troll argument, that a "financial collapse" was somehow equal to an entire infrastructure collapse, such as in Venezuela, that when I said that "Crypto was a way out", that was IMMEDIATELY FOLLOWING the sentence stating (my prediction), that the STOCK MARKET was going to collapse.

THIS HAS HAPPENED BEFORE, and the lights didn't go out in the USA. Back in the Dot-Com boom/bust of 2000. The Stock market virtually IMPLODED, and lost around half of it's total value. Likewise, in 2008, there was a financial crash in the stock market. Lots of people lost lots of money.

If BFG10K would bother to actually educate himself, he would see that:
1) Certain prominent financial "analysts" have declared Bitcoin to be an INDEPENDENT "asset class", and
2) Many financial-services and other large corporations ARE BUYING BITCOIN, often in large (VERY large) quantities.

You have to ask yourself, if these companies ARE NOT STUPID, then WHY?

And that starts you down the path to educating yourself on Crypto.

All I was trying to point out, that Bitcoin (in particular) seems to be a good hedge against other sorts of "market fluctuations", and that it (thus far) has been the "most proven" of crypto-currencies.

I'm not talking about (a hypothetical) "PotatoCoin", or some just-invented $hitcoin, I'm talking about Bitcoin, for some people (maximalists), the ONLY "real" Crypto-currency.

I'm also not denying that there are, or have been, allegedly "ponzi schemes" in crypto, or that there haven't been "shady dealings" in some cases, but that's no different than stocks and other commodities and cash, really. Bitcoin does not, inherently, suffer from either of these things. It's a distributed permissionless public ledger technology.
If a certain person whose name rhymes with Tusk tweets about $hitcoin, it will skyrocket tomorrow..my biggest problem with this market in general..

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
If a certain person whose name rhymes with Tusk tweets about $hitcoin, it will skyrocket tomorrow..my biggest problem with this market in general..
Oh, there's TONS of "market manipulation" in Crypto. Tons. But there are overall trends, too. BTC and ETH continue to go up, they may "pull back" some in the near future, but the overall trend is upward. I personally do see BTC hitting $1Mil USD, within 10 years, maybe sooner if USD takes a real dump like I fear.

undertaker101

Banned
Apr 9, 2006
Central computers in bay area has the 3060 ti XC for 479 + tax with online order and in store pick up in Sunnyvale, yes it's a $70 markup but if you need a card get it and forget about it for now. I hate central computers but this is a seller's market...wish I had not canceled my dual 3070 order last month so I could let it go for a small fee here (msrp + tax now is higher than what I would have asked)...just like my 5600x and 3070 tuf recently :)

Last edited:

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
I think cryptocurrency will be mainstream at some point in the future but it may not be bitcoin specifically, which is not well suited for ordinary transacations for many reasons. It's a hedge against inflation but not necessarily better than other assets (stocks/RE/etc.) for that. The Ethereum proof-of-stake change will also make mining infeasible and may help with the video card shortage.

Back to the topic, if you're near a Microcenter they get a few cards each morning. The prices are about $100 over MSRP even for the cheaper brands, but it's not as bad as some of the online prices. The Paterson, NJ store has a lower sales tax than the rest of the state as well. The 3090 actually seems a bit easier to find in stock than the 3080 or 3070. Maybe the 3080ti news has made it less attractive, but I would take a 3090 for $1600 over a marked up 3080 for $1100-1200 on ebay/offerup. I never thought I would spend this much on a video card, but am having a great time with it. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.