Asus Strix Z390-E, PCIE Lanes, setting up PCIE Devices

Jun 23, 2013
Dear users,
Hello, I hope you all doing well, I don't mean to be a hassle, but I need a hand in here so I don't commit mistakes during PC Building.
In My understanding, my Intel I5 9600k has x16 lanes support, and my motherboard Asus Z390 STRIX. has 2xPCIE 3.0 X16, X4 and X1 (And Two M.2 PCIE X4 with NVME Support) Right? I have a PCIE Graphics Card. (RX580), and two NVME SSDs (WD BLACK 500GB, ADDLINK S70 512GB), if I install the GPU in the PCIE 3.0 X16, and both NVMEs in their corresponding NVME slots. Will these components run at X8/X4/X4 respectively? I'm not planning to install a SATA device. But I plan to use the included AC9560 BT/WIFI Combo the motherboard has onboard. I fear that the graphics card drops to X4 or one of the SSDs drops at X2. How do I set it up correctly? I know also that the Z390 Chipset has its own PCIE Lanes. Still confused.
Thanks you very much.

Enviado desde mi ONEPLUS A6000 mediante Tapatalk

Last edited:

Campy

Jun 25, 2010
The first two PCIe x16 slots are wired to the CPU, everything else goes to the chipset. Put the RX580 in the first x16 slot(closest to the CPU socket) and it will get 16 lanes as long as you leave the second x16 slot empty.

The SSDs will both run at full speed aswell, but you may lose the use of a couple SATA ports. Your motherboard manual should have details, but since you're not using SATA devices I guess it doesn't matter.

If you want to double-check you're getting full bandwidth to your graphics card you can use a program called GPU-Z for that.

Good luck with the build :)

Reactions: solidsnake1607

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
The modern intel chipset, like the z390, provides 24 PCIe 3 lanes. Many modern intel processors, like the 9600, provide 24. ( The x9800 cpu provides 44 lanes on ts own).
So the system you mention provides 40 PCIe x 3 lanes.The first two expansion slots, both x16 size, use the cpu lanes as Campy mentioned above. If only one video card is installed, it will use all the available x16 cpu lanes. If both x16 size slots are occupied, each slot will provide 8 lanes. (These cpu lanes will not be reduced further by other components.)
That leaves the 24 lanes provided by the chipset for things like wifi, nvme/ssd drives, BT, etc.NVMe drives operate using x4 lanes each. The rest of your components will use 1 lane each. Adding all this up suggests the system will operate fine under these conditions.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
Its hard to cut through the marketing bull to make sense of the numbers. Intel is kind of hiding that their platform is getting creaky by inventing new ways to measure things.

I don't think any of Intel's mainstream processors have 24 lanes, they're all 20. 16 CPU lanes and everything on the chipset is squeezed through the remaining DMI link which is roughly pci-e 3.0 4x. Boards vary but typically all your m.2 slots and expansion, in addition to your USB 3whatever is all hanging off the chipset and all has to go through that same bottleneck.

m.2 slots can run at full speed, so long as you don't use them all at the same time. The chipset lanes are getting pretty constrained at this point but for most people it probably doesn't matter very often.

I haven't ever seen an Intel board that used some CPU lanes for any m.2 slots but its theoretically possible to do. Weirdly I have seen AMD boards that do this for a second m.2 slot. I say its weird because its less necessary for AMD to do this than Intel. AMD provides 4x direct CPU lanes that the primary m.2 slot already uses since they do have 24 lanes on their cpus.

Jun 23, 2013
The first two PCIe x16 slots are wired to the CPU, everything else goes to the chipset. Put the RX580 in the first x16 slot(closest to the CPU socket) and it will get 16 lanes as long as you leave the second x16 slot empty.

The SSDs will both run at full speed aswell, but you may lose the use of a couple SATA ports. Your motherboard manual should have details, but since you're not using SATA devices I guess it doesn't matter.

If you want to double-check you're getting full bandwidth to your graphics card you can use a program called GPU-Z for that.

Good luck with the build :)
The modern intel chipset, like the z390, provides 24 PCIe 3 lanes. Many modern intel processors, like the 9600, provide 24. ( The x9800 cpu provides 44 lanes on ts own).
So the system you mention provides 40 PCIe x 3 lanes.The first two expansion slots, both x16 size, use the cpu lanes as Campy mentioned above. If only one video card is installed, it will use all the available x16 cpu lanes. If both x16 size slots are occupied, each slot will provide 8 lanes. (These cpu lanes will not be reduced further by other components.)
That leaves the 24 lanes provided by the chipset for things like wifi, nvme/ssd drives, BT, etc.NVMe drives operate using x4 lanes each. The rest of your components will use 1 lane each. Adding all this up suggests the system will operate fine under these conditions.
Its hard to cut through the marketing bull to make sense of the numbers. Intel is kind of hiding that their platform is getting creaky by inventing new ways to measure things.

I don't think any of Intel's mainstream processors have 24 lanes, they're all 20. 16 CPU lanes and everything on the chipset is squeezed through the remaining DMI link which is roughly pci-e 3.0 4x. Boards vary but typically all your m.2 slots and expansion, in addition to your USB 3whatever is all hanging off the chipset and all has to go through that same bottleneck.

m.2 slots can run at full speed, so long as you don't use them all at the same time. The chipset lanes are getting pretty constrained at this point but for most people it probably doesn't matter very often.

I haven't ever seen an Intel board that used some CPU lanes for any m.2 slots but its theoretically possible to do. Weirdly I have seen AMD boards that do this for a second m.2 slot. I say its weird because its less necessary for AMD to do this than Intel. AMD provides 4x direct CPU lanes that the primary m.2 slot already uses since they do have 24 lanes on their cpus.
Thanks you very much for all your kind replies. Answer you all gave solved all my doubts. Now I clearly know that the z390 Chipset has its own lanes to share most of the peripherals, and the X16 is direct to the cpu Lanes. That's a relieve, I didn't want to get half performance because of using the available slots. You were such a cool people. Learnt something new today. Thanks

Enviado desde mi ONEPLUS A6000 mediante Tapatalk