ASUS RT-AC5300=Beast and worth every penny! (Updated: 2 Months usage)

IamDavid

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2000
I received and installed this beast a little over a week ago to replace my Linksys WRT1900ACS which was a total POS. For anyone questioning what's the best home router this is it. Probably overkill for small or non tech savvy households but f you're like our family this is #1.
I was also able to remove my second upstairs AP because the coverage is so strong.

At any given time we have 25+ devices connected to the network with at least 1, if not multiple devices screaming media, usually Plex.

Setup = Simple and simple.
Performance = Nothings come close so far.
Home size = 2950sqft, brick home 2 Story.
Surrounding interference = Typically can pick up 25+ Wireless networks when sitting in my front room.
ISP: Charter 60mb

Updated 4/10/16:
I've now been running the router for 2 months and still couldn't be happier.

*Our networks daily usage is 50GB-350GB.

*Since installing the router I've reduced the number of PC's on my network by 2 due to the amazing performance of the router. I merged a Plex server and a Blue Iris video camera server with an HTPC. I broke the setup into 3 devices a couple years ago trying to even out the network load on one end of the house. Probably doesn't make sense but it worked.

*I've also removed 1 AP and 2 powerline adapters and just converted the devices connecting to wireless. Wireless coverage is stronger than I would've ever guessed.

Great router!

Last edited:

CakeMonster

Golden Member
Nov 22, 2012
What is your experience with AC range vs 2.4GHz? I've typically ended up telling people to use the 2.4GHz network when they run into range issues.

Kartajan

Golden Member
Feb 26, 2001
multiple devices screaming media

You might want to have that looked at...

I take it that hardwiring the heavy use points was not feasible? I know I was not willing to endure the fluctuations of wifi (Running an Asus RT-AC68R ) on my heavy useage points....
*For me, I get reasonable range on AC, but 2.4 gets out another 20' or so.. So on the back porch/ in front of the garage I need to be on 2.4G

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
You might want to have that looked at...

That was pretty good :)

Still do not have the remote desktops myself using 5 Ghz on Wireless, I think the wife's phone is the only thing hooks up that way on the latest cable modem.

But I just use it hardwired to the main rig, the other ones still even seem on wireless using the 2.4.

The 2.4 here seems to have pretty good range actually. The HTPC in the main bedroom is at least 50 feet away and works well.

I guess I do not have 25 things running off the network either.

Last edited:

IamDavid

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2000
Lol, I guess they could be screaming depending out what's being streamed.

I haven't had time to do any tests to collect numbers but here's what the router handled last night:

All at the same time:
Wireless streaming 4K (Amazing Spider Man) from server to HTPC
XBOX One #1 Playing Halo (Hard wired)
XBOB One #2 Streaming Netflix movie (WIFI)
PC downloading torrents @ ~2Mb\s (Hard Wired)
Home Security vieo system: 4 Hard wired, 4 Wireless)
Other devices connected (5 Phones, 3 PC's (Hard Wired))
All other typical devices like printers, Nests....

Not a hiccup anywhere. All spread across the entire house.

Not sure about the 2.4ghz, only a couple cameras connected to this.